FC Edmonton - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

League rules prior to 2022 allowed clubs to acquire a maximum of five players on loan and no more than one player from another CPL club. The length of any incoming player loan between clubs must be for the balance of the league season. International players previously were not approved be loaned to another team.

For FC Edmonton to maximize their resources in the construction of their 2022 squad they no longer have to operate within these parameters.

The League has approved this process to give the other seven clubs a benefit of signing players and immediately loaning them to FC Edmonton and to allow Alan Koch’s team to be stronger and more competitive in a year that begins for them on Sunday April 10th at home to Valour FC at Clarke Field in Edmonton. German forwards Julian Ulbricht and Tobias Warschewski, along with defender Felix N’sa, were officially announced as loans from York United on Thursday. More loans are expected to be announced shortly.

When a CPL team loans a player to FC Edmonton, the loaning club will have the ability to recall the player in-season if it can demonstrate extreme hardship; however, once a loaned player has been recalled by his parent club, he will no longer be eligible to return to play for FC Edmonton during the 2022 season.

...York has loaned 3 players to FC Edmonton

Edited by K Edgar

5 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Definitely better than what was probably going to happen at the end of the year otherwise and the apparent implied rebrand would also be a very good move because clearly almost nobody in Edmonton is emotionally invested in FCE at this point.

🤣

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Thoughts that crossed my mind if this is what it appears to be would be whether they would try moving to Commonwealth and whether World Cup hosting was used as a tool of persuasion by the various soccer associations involved.

Not FCE related unfortunately

Those poor minor/junior football teams. My heart bleeds for them. How dare this uppity immigrant sport partially remove access to a stadium from them when there is no viable alternative elsewhere in the city. Couldn't they have simply moved to pretty much any high school in the city and doesn't Clarke Stadium have a pro soccer history stretching back many decades? The Brickmen played there, for example.

On a more serious note I think that means neither the Katz group or the Elks are riding to the rescue where FCE are concerned.

59 minutes ago, yothat2 said:

Waiting for the USL & MLS loans 

Based on the situation and the familiarity of the coaches with the lower Mainland, I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of high-level, recent university/college level players come in from the Vancouver area.