FC Edmonton - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

17 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

He would have found it easier when a traditional 4-4-2 was still in vogue. Not so many clubs looking for a tall target man these days.

Irish or Scottish leagues still play an 4-4-2 ?!

Think good level would be Iceland/Norway/Sweden/Finland/Holland 

6 hours ago, yothat2 said:

Irish or Scottish leagues still play an 4-4-2 ?!

Scottish football has changed quite a bit tactically over the last decade or so even at lower levels and an Italian passport doesn't provide automatic employment rights in the UK any more. The League of Ireland is semi-pro to a significant extent and there are usually not too many openings for overseas imports there as they tend to mainly bring in players from the UK. Agree that Scandinavia is probably where he winds up.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Moving is on the table?

I could see moving the club as an option. The team has absolutely zero relevancy in the community. There's zero marketing, zero exposure. They suck and have sucked for a decade. It's literally the Edmonton Rush 2.0. Kind of sad when you think about it. 

32 minutes ago, ShaneC06 said:

I could see moving the club as an option. The team has absolutely zero relevancy in the community. There's zero marketing, zero exposure. They suck and have sucked for a decade. It's literally the Edmonton Rush 2.0. Kind of sad when you think about it. 

You would think someone would come forward seeing the success of the men’s national team success at the gate this past November and think that marketed properly a CPL team can succeed in Edmonton. Hopefully someone comes forward and saves this team , this league needs expansion news not this kind of news. 

While not great news in any way, this is the best news anyone who wants FC Edmonton to succeed can hope for. This is the only option currently available that doesn't see FC Edmonton die.

As I talked about in this post earlier this year, FC Edmonton were in a lot of trouble. It was clear that Fath had given up on the club. And to put it bluntly, the Fath's were going to hold the league back if the league ever wanted to be bigger than it currently is.

IMO once a new ownership group is found, that group needs to 1) put some money into marketing the club 2) give those who actually show up to games a good game day experience and 3) win. If they do all 3, they can turn FC Edmonton around. Unfortunately due to the Fath's bottling it for 11 years, any new ownership group is starting from a worse position than they would have if they had just started a club from scratch.

I applaud the Fath's for investing in professional soccer in Canada long before CPL was around, but a professional product in Edmonton is long overdue. They were good owners in the sense that they were too stubborn to quit on the club, but outside of that they really had no clue how to build and run a soccer club. And 11 years in it was clear to anyone who paid attention that the project was on death's doorstep.

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

Moving is on the table?

Maybe this team moves to the Okanagan? I'm not sold on Kelowna as a CPL market, but it's in the same general  Western region and there have been a number of whispers involving the Okanagan.

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

While not great news in any way, this is the best news anyone who wants FC Edmonton to succeed can hope for. This is the only option currently available that doesn't see FC Edmonton die.

As I talked about in this post earlier this year, FC Edmonton were in a lot of trouble. It was clear that Fath had given up on the club. And to put it bluntly, the Fath's were going to hold the league back if the league ever wanted to be bigger than it currently is.

IMO once a new ownership group is found, that group needs to 1) put some money into marketing the club 2) give those who actually show up to games a good game day experience and 3) win. If they do all 3, they can turn FC Edmonton around. Unfortunately due to the Fath's bottling it for 11 years, any new ownership group is starting from a worse position than they would have if they had just started a club from scratch.

I applaud the Fath's for investing in professional soccer in Canada long before CPL was around, but a professional product in Edmonton is long overdue. They were good owners in the sense that they were too stubborn to quit on the club, but outside of that they really had no clue how to build and run a soccer club. And 11 years in it was clear to anyone who paid attention that the project was on death's doorstep.

I remember people saying that some of the ownership wanted the league's costs/salary kept as down as possible.

Sounds like the Fath was on that side, or maybe were they the only ones...

On 11/25/2017 at 12:15 AM, Big_M said:

Time for new ownership in Edmonton for a cpl team plain and simple..good on Fath for keeping it going these years but he's not a big money guy and doesn't want any more loses

said it over and over from way back...better late than never...thanks to fath now time to move forward...bring someone who has the money and willing to do what it takes to make this club really successful

1 hour ago, nolando said:

Maybe this team moves to the Okanagan? I'm not sold on Kelowna as a CPL market, but it's in the same general  Western region and there have been a number of whispers involving the Okanagan.

Why would that market be different than Edmonton. This team does not need to move it just needs a bigger owner that can spend money to make this market viable . 

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

I remember people saying that some of the ownership wanted the league's costs/salary kept as down as possible.

Sounds like the Fath was on that side, or maybe were they the only ones...

I think there was an article back before the 2019 season started that indicated Pacific wanted it lower than originally proposed.

8 hours ago, ShaneC06 said:

I could see moving the club as an option... 

Depressing news given what it says about alleged 10 year commitments but in no way surprising after Thomas Nef let the cat out of the bag that the Faths had walked away. They were probably hoping to quickly find new owners locally without that info ever reaching the public domain to any huge extent but have failed to do so.

There would need to be a city with a better stadium solution for a move away from Edmonton to make sense for 2022 and it's difficult to think of one right now beyond possibly Moncton or St John's both of which have major issues on market size and in the latter case also on easy road access when large crowds show up.

Maybe mentioning that possibility via third party sources is simply signposting that if the City of Edmonton and the Elks do not play ball on improving the stadium for pro soccer there could be an easier way in than expansion for a group in somewhere like Barrie or Peterborough if they push enough cash in the league's direction and can come up with a viable stadium plan.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I think there was an article back before the 2019 season started that indicated Pacific wanted it lower than originally proposed.

There definitely was and subsequent experience on the level of actual fan interest may have subsequently shifted the "Overton window" on what was being argued about. There have been plenty of rumours about the Valour not spending up to the cap and lots of nickle and diming of the players highlighted by the would be players union, for example.