Match Thread: Voyageurs Cup - Preliminary Round - Pacific v Vancouver Whitecaps - August 26, 2021

25 minutes ago, Bdog said:

Many people on twitter have been saying Pacific have the quality to give the Whitecaps some trouble. This may be a fun thing to say online with your friends but it is not likely to hold up to the harsh light of reality.

Two years in a row for that guy lol

Congrats to Pacific. They out worked, out played, and out managed the Whitecaps and were fully deserving of their win.

As a Whitecaps fan, I'm so tired of them absolutely blowing it in the Voyagers Cup. That was a f***ing embarrassing effort. MDS needs to go.

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think the Whitecaps can hire another unproven at MLS or higher league manager. MDS is the 4th lower division or assistant manager they've hired, and I'm not sure the fan base will accept it again. 

That's why Dasovic should be the one. He's in the organisation already, so it's not like they have to commit to him in order to lure him over. The most important thing is that MDS' stuff should currently be sitting on the curb outside the UBC base in a cardboard box. He cannot continue. An interim guy to get us to the end of the season while they actually do a proper recruitment for the guy who'll be there for next season.

3 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

That's why Dasovic should be the one. He's in the organisation already, so it's not like they have to commit to him in order to lure him over. The most important thing is that MDS' stuff should currently be sitting on the curb outside the UBC base in a cardboard box. He cannot continue. An interim guy to get us to the end of the season while they actually do a proper recruitment for the guy who'll be there for next season.

The ownership will probably be getting an under-the-table financial supplement from the league if they promote Ricardo Clark to interim because they love having ex-USNT guys in coaching positions, even if some are over their heads (i.e. Armas) 

44 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Yeah, I agree. I'd thought that holding off this year might be a (mildly) valid excuse because of the difficulties in finding a short-term replacement and I didn't want the search rushed. But I'd forgotten that Dasovic was there, and I'd be satisfied with him on an interim basis. But MDS wanting to win the Cup this year, putting out a strong squad, and getting absolutely embarrassed...there's no recovering from that. At the end of the game, he just sat there with no answers. 

45 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I am tired of the excuses and the spin.  

I caught the post game show on the radio and he very much threw his defense under the bus. Then complained about the team not being able to adjust to the pitch, which came off as very weak.

49 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I caught the post game show on the radio and he very much threw his defense under the bus. Then complained about the team not being able to adjust to the pitch, which came off as very weak.

Rose and Nerwinski are consistently terrible. Brown has been decent, but was awful tonight. 

6 hours ago, Ingham said:

I think it's unfair to not credit every player today thanks to the work rate they showed.

And this is again where you see the difference in class and confidence with Kah, who mentioned repeatedly to the effect that his personal connection to the Caps didn't influence the game or the result, but that the players deserved all of the credit. Of course we all know he managed this match very wisely but I liked how he sidestepped the spotlight in the post match conference. Easy to see why his players respect him so much.

Edited by nolando

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

Sportsnet gave it a good review on their morning Sportcenter equivalent show, name escapes me right now, Connected? They showed all the goals minus the opening penalty. I was impressed, they gave context, dubbed it Battle of BC and everything.  

I've found Sportsnet better on that front.  They've put the CPL final on their front page while TSN did not acknowledge the league's existence

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think the Whitecaps can hire another unproven at MLS or higher league manager. MDS is the 4th lower division or assistant manager they've hired, and I'm not sure the fan base will accept it again. 

I'm not attributing this to your quote (definitely not you), but doesn't something like this always come up when a black manager is ready to step up? I'm not sure what more Kah can do to prove he's ready for the next level.

8 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I'm not attributing this to your quote (definitely not you), but doesn't something like this always come up when a black manager is ready to step up? I'm not sure what more Kah can do to prove he's ready for the next level.

Oh, to be clear I'd like to see Kah at the next level. And under different circumstances that might even have been the Whitecaps. I'm saying I don't think Whitecaps management saying "we're going to elevate a manager again" is going to fly with their quickly eroding fan base. They need to step up and say "this manager is already proven at this level, and now he's our manager" and that's not Kah or any of the other CPL managers. 

7 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

They need to step up and say "this manager is already proven at this level, and now he's our manager" and that's not Kah or any of the other CPL managers. 

I think they to say that the guy is proven at a higher level, not MLS.  (Not sure that's what you meant by the part I highlighted.)

Edited by BearcatSA

23 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I think they to say that the guy is proven at a higher level, not MLS.  (Not sure that's what you meant by the part I highlighted.)

I mean it as a manager already proven in MLS or a higher league. Not CPL, not USL, not an assistant manager from any league .

MLS is such a manager graveyard for those names that the fan base would previously have been giddy about: Garde, Barros Schelotto, Almeyda, Heinze, etc. 

MLS is dominated by the TD. Sure, Axel could hire Domenico Tedesco. But Rachel would never let him given the $2-3m wage hit. And it likely wouldn't make much of a difference given the names above. (Although I'd be very intrigued by this name given his age, CV, and relationship with Shuster).

But it won't happen, so what are the realistic options: Mike Petke? Personally, I'd rather see Kah.