Herdman's coaching staff: Who are they? & how do you rate them?

Who is in the following picture?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRymCiJMgdh/

I believe from left to right it's Remko Bicentini, Simon Eaddy, Steven Caldwell & Mauro Biello.

https://www.canadasoccer.com/staff/

also lists:

- Eric Tenllado (EXCEL Development Coach) He is with the group at the Gold Cup. He was listed as an assistant coach on the last match sheet vs Costa Rica.

What is his role exactly?

Is that him at 5:01?

http://ww.youtube.com/watch?v=M3h4YNnfnN0

There is an interview with him here (I have not watched it) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkxzQ9kVXN0

- Robyn Gayle ( EXCEL Mental & Cultural Manager) She was a great player for the #CanWNT,  but what does she actually do now? What does her title mean? I assume she isn't involved in tactics and actual coaching? http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robyn_Gayle

- Andrew Olivieri ( this board doesn't rate him and we know @SpecialK hates him more than Herdman, calling him "Peter Griffin")

---

Have I missed anybody? Who do you rate? Who do you not?

Please share any insights!

29 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Who is in the following picture?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRymCiJMgdh/

I believe from left to right it's Remko Bicentini, Simon Eaddy, Steven Caldwell & Mauro Biello.

https://www.canadasoccer.com/staff/

also lists:

- Eric Tenllado (EXCEL Development Coach) He is with the group at the Gold Cup. He was listed as an assistant coach on the last match sheet vs Costa Rica.

What is his role exactly?

Is that him at 5:01?

http://ww.youtube.com/watch?v=M3h4YNnfnN0

There is an interview with him here (I have not watched it) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkxzQ9kVXN0

- Robyn Gayle ( EXCEL Mental & Cultural Manager) She was a great player for the #CanWNT,  but what does she actually do now? What does her title mean? I assume she isn't involved in tactics and actual coaching? http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robyn_Gayle

- Andrew Olivieri ( this board doesn't rate him and we know @SpecialK hates him more than Herdman, calling him "Peter Griffin")

---

Whose our GK Coach?

Sounds like Gayle is our shrink.

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Whose our GK Coach?

Sounds like Gayle is our shrink.

Eaddy is the GK coach and seems to be the set-pieces coach too. Both defending and offensive set-pieces. I generally don't rate him; I feel like we have become very strong in open play but are still weak when it comes to  defending and converting off free kicks or corners.

26 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I don’t really rate Biello, I think he doesn’t really brings anything substantial to the table. He doesn’t have a big expérience as a coach to help Herdman, he’s not a great tactical mind and his man management skills are nothing compare to those of Herdman. He didn’t impress me at the Olympic qualifiers either. I think, like someone pointed out in another thread, that he’s been surpassed by Tenllado in the pecking order.

4 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Eaddy is the GK coach and seems to be the set-pieces coach too. Both defending and offensive set-pieces. I generally don't rate him; I feel like we have become very strong in open play but are still weak when it comes to  defending and converting off free kicks or corners.

The real problem is that any foul within 40 metres has to be sent in to the box. Many that are so far away the defending team doesn't even do a wall.

And that is very archaic. All the metrics show you are working low percentages on those, unlike a corner where you are not offside and the keeper can be crowded.

If a team is successful playing with the ball and can pass through a defense, there are times we should be playing short off a free kick and trying something else. Or set them up to defend a long ball to the penalty spot, and play out short regardless, to break it down. And especially when you are up and defending a lead. Keep possession, and do not expose yourself to a counter which is a major risk of a long set piece.

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

This 100%. Set pieces on both sides of the ball have been very  poor..more so offensively. The exception of course was Eustaquio's conversion of the free kick, although probably a moment of individual brilliance. I dont think we have converted a corner yet in WCQ or GC?

3 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

This 100%. Set pieces on both sides of the ball have been very  poor..more so offensively. The exception of course was Eustaquio's conversion of the free kick, although probably a moment of individual brilliance. I dont think we have converted a corner yet in WCQ or GC?

Sturing vs Cayman Islands was off a corner but definitely fortuitous given the opponent. Larin scored off a Davies free kick vs Bermuda. Davies is not a good taker but he’s our only left footed option. Gutierrez would be a nice left footed option but it doesn’t seem likely that he’ll be a starter. 

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Sturing vs Cayman Islands was off a corner but definitely fortuitous given the opponent. Larin scored off a Davies free kick vs Bermuda. Davies is not a good taker but he’s our only left footed option. Gutierrez would be a nice left footed option but it doesn’t seem likely that he’ll be a starter. 

I remember the  Larin goal off Davies' freekick. So Sturing's goal is the only goal from a corner. I should go back and calculate the % conversion on all the corners we have generated and there have been loads, especially in the CR game and the WCQ game in which Millar played the first half

29 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Larin scored off a corner vs Marinitique I'm pretty sure.

2 minutes ago, Big_M said:

talk about being way off on biello..a lot of experience with montreal..assistant and then as head coach brought them to eastern conference final which was their best finish up to now..did well at olympic qualifiers with a less than ideal squad

I disagree with you, yes he has experience but all at the same club and he was given the role of assistant after his playing days where over not out of merit but just because who he was. That is why I said « big » experience.

As for the Olympic qualifiers he didn’t do « well », he did what he had to do no more no less, that’s why I said he didn’t impress me.

I don’t think he’s a bad coach I just think, like I said, that he doesn’t bring anything substantial to the coaching staff. We can disagree but I don’t think I’m way off.

29 minutes ago, HochelagaFC said:

I disagree with you, yes he has experience but all at the same club and he was given the role of assistant after his playing days where over not out of merit but just because who he was. That is why I said « big » experience.

As for the Olympic qualifiers he didn’t do « well », he did what he had to do no more no less, that’s why I said he didn’t impress me.

I don’t think he’s a bad coach I just think, like I said, that he doesn’t bring anything substantial to the coaching staff. We can disagree but I don’t think I’m way off.

I wonder if he was handcuffed by herdman and Peter griffin. Also Peter Griffin has kinda disappeared, thank God if that’s true. 
what I mean by handcuffed, herdman wants all the teams to play the same style. 

Also the let’s be honest I thought Olympic qualifying roster wasn’t very good. It was missing a lot of pieces and didn’t have games to play together before hand. It was a mess. 

10 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I wonder if he was handcuffed by herdman and Peter griffin. Also Peter Griffin has kinda disappeared, thank God if that’s true. 
what I mean by handcuffed, herdman wants all the teams to play the same style. 

Also the let’s be honest I thought Olympic qualifying roster wasn’t very good. It was missing a lot of pieces and didn’t have games to play together before hand. It was a mess. 

Yes he did what he had to do, he didn’t shit the bed because he’s an able coach but I still have a hard time getting over the Haiti draw. Plus, I think that offensively he was just relying on Buchanan doing his thing and when the other teams were double teaming him there was no plan B.

Just now, HochelagaFC said:

Yes he did what he had to do, he didn’t shit the bed because he’s an able coach but I still have a hard time getting over the Haiti draw. Plus, I think that offensively he was just relying on Buchanan doing his thing and when the other teams were double teaming him there was no plan B.

💯 

6 hours ago, Big_M said:

talk about being way off on biello..a lot of experience with montreal..assistant and then as head coach brought them to eastern conference final which was their best finish up to now..did well at olympic qualifiers with a less than ideal squad

Folks here have no idea what he does as assistant coach. Maybe he plays a key role we don't see. If a team is working then the pieces in it are too.

Just saying this to counter his detractors,who haven't shown any evidence of him being a weak assistant. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Folks here have no idea what he does as assistant coach. Maybe he plays a key role we don't see. If a team is working then the pieces in it are too.

Just saying this to counter his detractors,who haven't shown any evidence of him being a weak assistant. 

The issue is that because he's an assistant and still in and around the senior team, he's still first in line for the younger teams.  Just like Olivieri who is also still heavily involved.  Both may be great assistants, but they are shit when they're in control and that hurts our overall program.  They won't be replaced in those junior team roles when they're still in and around the senior team and that's not great.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You could absolutely be right but the question was « who do you rate? Who do you not? » and I answered the question based on the things that I knew seeing him first hand coaching for the Impact and at the Olympics qualifiers. 

You are right that he could be bringing something that we don’t see but that’s the thing, we can’t see it so all we can do is speculate about the things we know about him.

10 hours ago, HochelagaFC said:

Agreed, it was literally Tajon and Tabla creating everything.  Maybe if either of Brym or Bair had shown up....... 

But gotta admit his roster was really really limited.  That tournament would'be been the eye openner if we had a full squad, kinda like this GC might be.

22 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

The issue is that because he's an assistant and still in and around the senior team, he's still first in line for the younger teams.  Just like Olivieri who is also still heavily involved.  Both may be great assistants, but they are shit when they're in control and that hurts our overall program.  They won't be replaced in those junior team roles when they're still in and around the senior team and that's not great.

This is all we can go by. Moments of individual brilliance by a player(s) can be a difference maker in any game as was the case with Jayden at the U17s and Tajon at COQ. How a team functions as a unit tactically and player management reflect on the coach. When you look at our men's team at this GC other than the first 22 seconds and 25 mins of the USA game the coaching staff have  been solid.

12 hours ago, HochelagaFC said:

He did well in OQC - we drew the 2nd best team in the tournament and gave Mexico a closer match, at home no less, than France did at the Olympics. We only conceded 3 goals in 4 matches .. and sure we relied on Buchanan a lot but as he's shown for the men's team he was head and shoulders above anyone else on that squad.

36 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He did well in OQC - we drew the 2nd best team in the tournament and gave Mexico a closer match, at home no less, than France did at the Olympics. We only conceded 3 goals in 4 matches .. and sure we relied on Buchanan a lot but as he's shown for the men's team he was head and shoulders above anyone else on that squad.

We also drew an undermanned Haiti and we had no response/ideas when everyone keyed in on Buchanon after the El Salvador game.  That group was there for the taking and we barely squeaked through.

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

Plenty of nations have long-time assistant and youth coaches who are not successful with club teams, but have an effective role working for their national FA. 

We have no idea what the role they play is in the day-to-day of the national team. If the team is deemed successful, and a lot of people would say that it has been over the qualifiers and in this GC, then they are part of that success. Biello, maybe he runs the drills, the tactics, fitness: they all look fine. Maybe he works in team mentality. The team mentality looks good. Maybe he works with the younger guys, or the vets. No problem there.

So arguing they "are shit" when in control is ridiculous: they are not in control. Herdman is. Are you trying to insinuate they are undermining it? Saying they are shit--well that is shitty.

You don't even realise we can't have premium coaches for the youth teams in Canada because we can't pay them anything a premium coach merits.