Red Bull CPL club

Red Bull CPL club  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How would you react to a Red Bull branded CPL club in your city?

• Love the idea! Day 1 season seat holder/member
    • Ambivalent towards the brand but would still get season seats to support local soccer
    • Don't like the brand or the idea of corporate branded clubs in general but my love of the sport would still result in season seat purchases
    • Don't like the brand/corporate brands but would watch a few games to test the waters
    • Don't like the brand but the idea of corporate branded clubs in general would be okay with me, I might check a game out
    • Burn it with fire, hate the brand, hate corporate branded clubs, would not touch the club with a ten yard pole

I recall reading that a Bundesliga club was interested in the CPL but my gut thinks it's not really a Bundesliga club but the parent company of one that wants to establish a stronger presence over here.

I am curious to know what others would think if this happened in their own backyard?

People don’t like corporate branded teams, or the monarchy global clubs. But I like the idea. 

They have shown they are committed financially and successful in developing and producing a professional product.

I would really prefer City Football Group to come to Toronto, but that would be the death of York United. So maybe Quebec City can have em.

Not really adverse to corporate club ownership for no other reason than if feels like that practice has existed for as long as I can remember.  

And, so far as CPL is concerned, its not as if a corporate entity would be displacing an existing club ownership structure which has been in place since who knows when.  Buying the pedigree as it were.  They'd be starting from scratch and building their own thing.  Same as if an amateur athletic club did it, or a labour union, or any other individual or organization.

7 hours ago, Shway said:

People don’t like corporate branded teams, or the monarchy global clubs. But I like the idea. 

They have shown they are committed financially and successful in developing and producing a professional product.

I would really prefer City Football Group to come to Toronto, but that would be the death of York United. So maybe Quebec City can have em.

True, I read their development philosophy, I think it was the Salzburg club in particular but I'm sure it's across the board for them and it was impressive, aligns with club's that have the best youth development systems in the world.

New York Red Bull also has a youth development system that is one of the best in MLS.

I would love it if they come into this country, whether it be BC or Quebec. 

If they came to Toronto, it would be a situation of taking over YU probably. 

Edited by Macksam

The less Atletico Ottawa's and Red Bull ____ the better. How is a city going to build a culture and rally around a club that's just an advertisement for something else? If half the league starts being part of a "football group" it's going to be very disappointing and sterile.

Those teams will never be the priority of their ownership, and they'll most likely be directed to play like their namesake, limiting opportunities for clubs and Canadian managers to build their own identity and style of play organically.

2 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

The less Atletico Ottawa's and Red Bull ____ the better. How is a city going to build a culture and rally around a club that's just an advertisement for something else? If half the league starts being part of a "football group" it's going to be very disappointing and sterile.

Those teams will never be the priority of their ownership, and they'll most likely be directed to play like their namesake, limiting opportunities for clubs and Canadian managers to build their own identity and style of play organically.

Kind of how I feel about North American style "expansion". But so it is....

I hear your take, I just think your issues concerning culture are simply outside the affects of football groups. For whatever reason, we as Canadians don't have a "culture" that isn't reminiscent of insert "European country here".  We see that in every supporter group, they all seem "English influenced" with the Who Are Ya, Referee's a Wanker, and Go Marching In chants(even said in English slang). We have teams singing "campeone, ole ole ole" and Spanish isn't an official language. Rarely are things done organically, and mostly resemble somewhere else but that changes with time and history.

That's part of the deeper issue, that delves into our sporting support history. Canada doesn't have a history of supporting grassroot sports like our neighbours to the South. You'll see there, massive support at peewee,  highscool, college, semi-pro wherever levels ....here it struggles to U-Sports finals. Our best product that is through and through Canadian is the CFL (specifically Roughriders) - and god-willing that league has a future. 

I don't think it will hinder the development of Canadians coaches/players as long as the league stays Canadian and has mandates in place to protect that. If anything I think it gives them more opportunities vs less.

22 hours ago, Shway said:

22 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Not really adverse to corporate club ownership for no other reason than if feels like that practice has existed for as long as I can remember.  

And, so far as CPL is concerned, its not as if a corporate entity would be displacing an existing club ownership structure which has been in place since who knows when.  Buying the pedigree as it were.  They'd be starting from scratch and building their own thing.  Same as if an amateur athletic club did it, or a labour union, or any other individual or organization.

I chose the third option for the poll. The bold basically sums up why I wouldn't be too bothered. As much as I hate the Leipzig team, they, like Salzburg and even New Jersey, are really good at winning and developing players.

I'm certainly not cheering for RB to come here, and I don't think it's all that likely with them already having a team in New York, but I wouldn't be against it

Edited by DavemTFC
clarity

Based on his timeline, he seems legit.

Normally, I don't want soul less companies owning CPL clubs. But RB has shown they provide added value to the sport. With Canadian football being structurally deficient in almost every area, their processes, monies and drive will help us close the gap sooner.

Besides developing players, they bring in fresh tactics. They're also good at developing managers as 4 of the current managers in Bundesliga were developed by RB. Bayern just bought Nageslmann for 25m euros.

And in almost every sport they're involved, they don't aim to be losers as it would disprove RB gives you wings.

Edited by red card

On 5/7/2021 at 2:19 PM, Dominic94 said:

Red Bull and City don’t see the need to expand their brand in Canada, with their MLS teams they cover the North American market.

The reality is that there is no “North American market” to be captured in the way you seem to be implying.   I doubt any more than maybe a handful of Canadians would cheer for the corporate MLS teams based in the US.  Those teams would capture their local markets and maybe some neutrals who aren’t affiliated with a local team - though with the constant expansion of MLS theirs is continuously relegated to ever smaller population centres.  Setting up shop in CPL would be an expansion of their brand - not an overlap.  And with the development philosophy and transfer possibilities that a machine like RB would bring, I would be entirely supportive.  

It’s the winning culture that they bring from all aspects. Atletico for instance isn’t proven in this, as CFG and RB are. 

These pilot clubs want to be able to find/produce the next world beater to their “main team” but they will invest their money along the way to  doing that, but ensuring that have one of the better products for where they are positioned.

If you realize everyone of their teams are winners/or contenders  in their respective leagues. For me it’s about having those kind of teams in the markets that have MLS teams, for the sole purpose of competition for talent, attention, and notoriety that would come through appearances in international play (CCL.)

Remember, people will always naturally support a team in their city that wins, regardless of who backs them.

49 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The reality is that there is no “North American market” to be captured in the way you seem to be implying.   I doubt any more than maybe a handful of Canadians would cheer for the corporate MLS teams based in the US.  Those teams would capture their local markets and maybe some neutrals who aren’t affiliated with a local team - though with the constant expansion of MLS theirs is continuously relegated to ever smaller population centres.  Setting up shop in CPL would be an expansion of their brand - not an overlap.  And with the development philosophy and transfer possibilities that a machine like RB would bring, I would be entirely supportive.  

Red Bull doesn’t see it that way though, neither do CFG, that’s what I’ve read.

13 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Red Bull doesn’t see it that way though, neither do CFG, that’s what I’ve read.

I would be interested in the source of that because it just doesn’t make sense.  The fact that Canada has teams in MLS in no ways means a developmental machine like RB will be able to tap into the Canadian youth player pool.  To do that, they would realistically need either a Canadian MLS team (not happening) or a CPL team.  The latter option is most definitely something I would support.  

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I would be interested in the source of that because it just doesn’t make sense.  The fact that Canada has teams in MLS in no ways means a developmental machine like RB will be able to tap into the Canadian youth player pool.  To do that, they would realistically need either a Canadian MLS team (not happening) or a CPL team.  The latter option is most definitely something I would support.  

One of the Galindo/Nef/Rollins podcasts.

I don't know what exact trigger prompted me to start this thread but the clayervoyance may manifest itself into reality according to that tweet. 

City that starts with M, Mississauga or Montreal are the safe bets and either this club will be branded Red Bull Toronto or Red Bull Quebec/Montreal. 

Here's an interesting angle to consider, MLSE tends to have a lot of clout from what I hear at NHL/NBA BOG meetings, and I imagine the same is probably true for MLS so I wonder how they will react knowing that a fellow MLS member's parent company is going to engage in a territorial pissing match with them. 

Edited by Macksam

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

City that starts with M, Mississauga or Montreal are the safe bets and either this will club will be branded Red Bull Toronto or Red Bull Quebec/Montreal. 

Vive Taureau Rouge Montréal ! 😂

I do genuinely hope Moncton is in the mix. I've been singing their praises for ages, and I think they could be a huge success with their location, the stade and the interest that the Island Games generated in PEI and NB last year. But I agree that if Red Bull is kicking the tires, it's probably in a bigger market. 

As an Ajax Amsterdam fan I would like to see them try and start and build a team in the town of Ajax, juist outside Toronto. Ajax having one of the leading youth programs in the world would be a great asset in getting talents getting to a higher level in Canada. And maybe some talent can be loaned to the Canadian Ajax, as there are some talented players from North America playing in the Amsterdam youth.

Edited by Kefa83

5 hours ago, Kefa83 said:

As an Ajax Amsterdam fan I would like to see them try and start and build a team in the town of Ajax, juist outside Toronto. Ajax having one of the leading youth programs in the world would be a great asset in getting talents getting to a higher level in Canada. And maybe some talent can be loaned to the Canadian Ajax, as there are some talented players from North America playing in the Amsterdam youth.

So if Ajax is the brand and Amsterdam is the location of their football club, would that make this new Ontario based club "Ajax Ajax"? First j makes a y sound, second j makes a j sound?