Opponent watch: Jamaica

SCF08

8 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

My friend, we are comparing Mexico and Canada here, in CONCACAF... you make a lot of points, but none of them signal to us being better than Mexico anytime in the near or distant future... even if we beat them in the occasional game now and then, 7 out of 10 times they still wipe the floor with us, and even with a team lacking European talent, they'll still give everyone in CONCACAF a hard time (a national team made up of top Liga MX talent is nothing to scoff at). We spend nowhere near as them on the sport (ffs we can't even get friendlies, let alone training camps), and have a league with 8 teams that's only had one full season of play... yes we are better off than a decade ago, but to start suggesting we'll be top 2 in CONCACAF in any of our life times? err...

I think you think it takes a lifetime to see changes at the grassroots level and my friend it does not...

Belgium is better than ever before and they missed 5 straight major tourneys. Took a good decade but they did it. 

did our youth teams not beat Mexico and England at a point in time ?? Did England and Mexico not steal 2 players that we produced ?? (Maybe not Tomori but we gave him the exposure) 

did anyone of you see the USA producing talent the way it is now even 10 years ago ? 15 years ago ? It definitely doesn’t take a lifetime.

part of why the CSA doesn’t have money has to do with not going to big tourneys and having big sponsors. That has changed and is going to get better. I’m sure CSB and Nike is going to help the cash flow. 

If we can take these teams at the youth level, we will eventually take them at the senior level (maybe not England so soon) 

im not saying Mexico doesn’t have talent, but it’s not like they’re producing a ton of world class talent. They shackle their young talent in Liga MX.

going back to the youth level, how much more do we win or how further do we go if some of the youth duals were present ?

Davies and Ballou both missed some tournies due to citizenship issues, Flores switched over, Akinola would have won us some games. Let’s not pretend Hoilett, Arfield coming sooner wouldn’t have helped. 

you can ignore it all you want but we’re seeing that at the youth level we’re closing that gap and pushing the other 2. It’s going to translate and let’s be real we take the best of 3 mls academies, they take the best of their whole country. Same with USA, let’s not pretend we missed guys that would have made a difference of change the scores etc. Would we always best them ? No, but we would have won a few more games and probably have some qualifications to talk about.

22 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

did our youth teams not beat Mexico and England at a point in time ??

Just to be clear, regarding England you are referencing a U20 friendly right? Somehow I forget, did we win that game with Tomori? And regarding Mexico, it was a U15 friendly? That's nice, but hardly evidence that we are about to overtake Mexico. Last competitive game at the youth level against them I think was a 5-0 loss in the 2017 U20 CONCACAF Championships.

More recently, our U20 team lost in the 2018 U20 CONCACAF Championships against Panama and St. Kitts and Nevis. If we are extrapolating from single game results, then that would mean we should be predicting the day St. Kitts overtakes our senior team.

Milestones for us to look forward to, in chronological order.

1. Get to the Oct.
2. Qualify for a World Cup.
3. Maybe possibly work into one of the top 3 spots in CONCACAF.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

On 3/6/2021 at 10:18 PM, Dominic94 said:

Belgium is better than ever before and they missed 5 straight major tourneys. Took a good decade but they did it. 

did our youth teams not beat Mexico and England at a point in time ?? Did England and Mexico not steal 2 players that we produced ?? (Maybe not Tomori but we gave him the exposure) 

Nothing is gained or proved by bringing up Belgium... a country that already had a well stablished professional soccer pyramid (which we do not have) that has qualified to 13 world cups prior, and who were never truly "poor" (unless you are comparing them to the typical European power houses).

did anyone of you see the USA producing talent the way it is now even 10 years ago ? 15 years ago ? It definitely doesn’t take a lifetime.

Hmm yes... given how rich and sport crazy the country is, I'd argue it was a no brainer that once they got even semi serious about soccer then their national teams would explode. That is precisely what is starting to happen now. Also far as the USA goes, its naïve to think the CPL will grow at the same rate, the total population (arguably more important even, population density), resources, and number/wealth of investment/ownership groups are not at all comparable. Hell, even prior to MLS, the USA had still been to 14 world cups, so a foundation of sorts for their national team has always been, again, not a good comparison.

I wish I believed otherwise, but thinking that we will be at the level of a Mexico anytime in the foreseeable future is just not reasonable, or attainable (and that's under the assumption that they don't improve either). We have nowhere near their soccer history, pyramid, culture, infrastructure, league quality, development system, etc... And it is extremely unlikely that we will have any of that in the next 20 years either. We don't even have the 3rd best league in the region.

im not saying Mexico doesn’t have talent, but it’s not like they’re producing a ton of world class talent. They shackle their young talent in Liga MX.

Would we always best them ? No, but we would have won a few more games and probably have some qualifications to talk about.

Mexico doesn't have to produce world class talent to still give everyone in CONCACAF a hard time. They will always have a relatively high baseline and consistently produce really good players. Being #2 in the region involves more than just having a good team for a given cycle, its also involves having the soccer "industry" to back it up, which consists of all the aforementioned factors (history, culture, government and private financial support, thriving league, etc..), and provides the capacity to consistently churn out good teams, at every level. (i.e. we don't just become another 2014 Costa Rica, which would be nice for a period, but not sustainable)

Again, you are suggesting we could be #2 in CONCACAF... the very definition of that IS being able to beat the USA and Mexico consistently, without NEEDING our "A" team to do so. We are nowhere near there. Not even close. We aren't even the undisputed #3 (or 4) in the region.

Edited by LeoH037

Hercules Gomez told a good story about Mexican players asking him what the USMNT makes.  He told the Mexicans they get $16k and the Mexicans were speechless because they only get a measly $2K.  Apparently that was a big reason players were not showing up after the last World Cup.  I don't blame them because that team is a commercial juggernaut off the pitch.  

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Doesn’t every team? I’ve always just assumed we did - although likely pretty minimal 

One thing you can't assume is that the CSA does the same thing as other federations....I kid.

But I do wonder what the fee is in comparison to other Concacaf teams. One would have to assume your ranking plays apart. 

One thing for sure is that the CSA pay the men and women the same since Sinclair and others have mentioned that it was a change that occurred in this century.

Depending on what metric is used, the US isn't paying the women and men the same. And I assume no other Concacaf nation has equal pay.

And based on the articles on the US women legal actions, the US men were getting 5k per match vs 3.6k for the women in 2019 according to the US senate.

164042468_203938154842492_19533241195792

Andre Gray, Curtis Tilt, Ethan Pinnock, Jamal Lowe, Liam Moore, Kasey Palmer, Wesley Harding....are all making their first appearances
Some of those guys weren't even initially mentioned earlier.

Jamaica is stacking up, but this team will probably take a beating against USA.

There might be a Covid thing at play. But the commitment seems questionable. Antonio and others should be there, not just show up for WCQ. 

The other thing is, on a popular American soccer podcast, the host was saying that players haven't been getting paid by JFF. Is this true? I haven't found anything about that specifically. But they do appear to be having hard times financially. 

2 minutes ago, One American said:

There might be a Covid thing at play. But the commitment seems questionable. Antonio and others should be there, not just show up for WCQ. 

Did you read above? 

2 minutes ago, One American said:

The other thing is, on a popular American soccer podcast, the host was saying that players haven't been getting paid by JFF. Is this true? I haven't found anything about that specifically. But they do appear to be having hard times financially. 

They have been getting paid. They've been fighting over the amount. 
However Andre Blake, Adrianna Mariappa, andone other guy are the guys speaking on behalf of the players. Blake said they wouldn't play, and they were all in solidarity with the stance in an interview.....but Marriappa accepted the call - as he should. So I do wonder if the players got their 3K a game wish.

24 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

When you’re asking to be paid to play for your country but you’re a pro athlete like really.......

also while I’m glad the region is getting stronger, it sucks that Jamaica is getting stronger because looks like they’re ahead of us.

A decent amount of them play professionally in Jamaica though, so probably not making a great living. I imagine they’re fighting for wages for representing Jamaica more for those guys than for the guys playing in Premier League or Championship.

Edited by archer21