TFC 2020 Season

Big_M

I'm always confused as to why this is confusing. MLS has 0 Champion League spots

The spot awarded for the Mickey Mouse cup was a negotiation that occurred between the CSA, US Soccer and MLS due to a bizarre circumstance 

Edited by SpursFlu

To be precise.  Its the national associations that determine who goes to the the CCL.  On what basis that these national association determine who goes to the CCL is really up to them.  The USSF has said that it will be based X criteria, than thats that.  I would like to see the day when a canadian team when the regular season title in MLS and the MLS cup but loses the in the Voyageurs cup.    Then the whole setup will be made to look bad.  

I dont really have big issues with this.   But its another story altogether when it comes to the trophy for the regular season champs.

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

If you've got a calendar handy I can show you many days from 1996 to 2006 where that was the case. Not sure what you'd get out of seeing these days, other than perhaps nostalgia for the really bad old days.

Yes.  And you can also say 1984 to 2006.   This was also known (to me anyways) as the dark ages of soccer in canada.   

1) Where we would assemble national team squads where you had to find 23 players to play rather than cut down to 23 players.    

2) Where we basically didnt know anything about the kind of players we had becasue they were all playing overseas on clubs you could never see on television or ever read anything about.

3) Where, we had to forgo an opportunity to play in Copa america because we didnt have any domestic based players of any professional semblance to build a squad from.

4) Where, as a result,  we never qualified for a world cup.   The only time we ever did was when we had an “MLS like” league to draw talent from in 1968-84.

Thats what things were like then.  Its mind boggling to think that there is some people here who think, we are better off without MLS.  And that the CPL (at this stage and foreseeable future) can make up for that.    It makes me want to throw objects when i hear this kind of stuff. 

Edited by Free kick

10 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

This release mentioned that the original decision was indeed based on the argument of an unbalanced schedule.  The original release made no mention of it and instead invoked the arguement of the pandemic.

This has made me lose respect for whole SS concept as it stands now.   You mentioned above that TFC had in fact only lost to those canadian team so this important fact was actaully ouverlooked in the original decision.  Hence proving that the original decsion was the product of petty whinning from supporter of team whose teams are out of the chase.  Thats why it needs to be out of the hands of these clowns cause you cant make decsions based on misinformation.  Give it to the league, just like we did with the VCup

Edited by Free kick

I get the unbalanced schedule argument but isn't every season unbalanced? The way the CFL gives an extra berth in the play offs usually to the West based on the 4th place team having more points than the 3rd place team in the East to me is fundamentally wrong because a common number of opponents haven't been played an equal number of times! The split in the SPL is like this also, I much prefer the balanced schedule leading to an overall Champion based on points gained from common opponents an equal number of times!

It seems that most of the complaints miss their mark when considering the top two teams.  Sure, TFC played Montreal and Vancouver a lot, but their only losses so far came to those two teams.  The Strength of Schedule metrics also put TFC and Philadelphia as having the hardest schedules in the league.  If either of those two teams win the shield, it won't be because they had it easier than the rest of the competition.  Add to that the Canadian teams are playing away from home for the last big chunk of the schedule.  If the schedule is unbalanced, it has been tilted against TFC, so hats off to them if they end up top of the league.

49 minutes ago, gator said:

I get the unbalanced schedule argument but isn't every season unbalanced?

Yes, every season is unbalanced and probably always will be, which is why I don't get that argument. From the comments in response to that article from various US supporters (though not all of course), it seems that a number of American fans are upset that the Supporter's Shield could get awarded to a Canadian team because (for a time) they played in a mini-Canadian division and got 12 points that way (never mind that the Canadian teams are, as of writing this, the only two teams to beat TFC in regular season play). The timing of the original announcement combined with this reaction makes it seem like this was mainly about TFC not getting the Supporters Shield and if an American team had been 6 points in front at the time, I am doubtful that the original announcement gets made in the first place.

Yeah, it pretty clear from reading those comments that it was all about the fact that TFC could and probably will win it.    

What would be great to see is that after this metal dish is awarded,  the supporters take it back after its awarded to the team and proceed to exit the stadium, walk accross the parking lot, cross lakeshore boulevard and the molson ampha theater and toss like a frisbee into lake Ontario. 
that would be priceless. 

Edited by Free kick

I get, that there are a ton of injuries.  But I dont like that lineup at all.   

0-0 would be an major accomplishment with this group.  No true fwd in the lineup. They have Pozuelo playing the 9 but this has never worked.   There is nobody playing behind him who has shown any ability to service the forwards.  Endoh is all work ethic but no flair, creativity or imagination,   Gallardo, has shown nothing.

But , as i said,  we will see,.

Edited by Free kick

Marshall-Rhutty showed more in that one scoring chance than Gallardo has in 2 seasons or Endoh in 4 seasons.  I hope Vanney doesn't wait until the next blow out to play the kid. At 16 and 3 months old he could be next big Canadian prospect after Davies.

Also congrats to him and Priso on their MLS debuts.

Edited by Gian-Luca

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

wow missed the first half..but they sub out gallardo after 35 using a sub window..if this isnt an injury sub he will probably never play for toronto again

I didn't watch the game tonight but prior to signing him I thought he would be a bust. Definitely not a tam level player. His stats were poor in Venezuela a worse league than MLS. I wouldn't be pumped if york9 signed him.