TFC 2020 Season

Big_M

The second half was the best that i have seen from TFC all year.   And considing the opponent, maybe one of the best halfs that TFC has ever played.   i can see why didnt want to make any substitutions.   The way that Laryea is playing he might end up a DP in this league.  He can change games.

Edited by Free kick

I think that TFC are usually too methodical and slow in their attack, allowing well prepared teams to thwart their weak probes.  Laryea is like the joker in the pack, springing surprises on the defence and causing them to freeze in indecision.  TFC needs to come up with other ways of achieving that; they can't just rely on Laryea to open up their opponents.  They have quality finishers, they need to give them more looks.

Anyone else humming that Hartford Whalers song in their head this morning?

Wouldn't mind them keeping that as their goal song when they return to Toronto.

Speaking of a return to Toronto, I have a question:

If TFC win the supporters shield, they'll have home field advantage for the entirety of the playoffs. Is it reasonable/doable to have them actually host at BMO? They won't have to play away as the SS holders, so going down to the US and coming back wouldn't be an issue.

The one issue I see is that away teams may have to isolate upon entering Canada. Opponents many not have time to get up here and isolate before the game, since the matches are so close together, at least based on last year's schedule.

It would be a shame if Toronto won the SS but couldn't host any games at their actual home. However, it would be an epic ending to a weird and wild season if they were to win MLS Cup in such circumstances.

59 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

What happened to Gonzalez?!  He has been terrible lately. CB is looking like a weakness.  We give up a crap goal every game.  

We also have to give credit to Santos.  That was a great chip. That play started with the ball being lost cheaply in midfield.  

Edited by Free kick

I still think Bradley is better at his position than anyone else on TFC's roster.  Altidore is starting to worry me, and I'm a huge fan.  Passes to him have to be pinpoint accurate or the defender beats him to the ball.  He doesn't seem to win many 50-50 balls anymore.  Is he past it or just out of shape?  Hopefully it's the latter.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

So who wants to be the first to suggest that TFC now look better without both Bradley and Altidore?

I was thinking this during the match, especially about Bradley I don't disagree with @rkomar about Bradley being the best at the position he was played in, TFC just seem to be so much more dynamic in his absence in a different formation!

3 hours ago, Club Linesman said:
1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

So who wants to be the first to suggest that TFC now look better without both Bradley and Altidore?

TFC have looked at their best in recent games when neither of those two has had an impact.  But its early, i still cant believe that the are playing without a true defensive midfielder.   In games like this when the they are moving the ball quickly and creating things offensively, a defensive mid hasnt been needed.  But that could change very quickly, especially in those late season or playoff games when your are trying to defend leads.   I am beginning to think Altidore can now look like a liability especially when he drops back and starts involving himaelf in the buildup.  I too noticed that he can give up plays.  But having said that, he still scored a big goal in the game versus Columbus. 

Edited by Free kick

Another thing that is different in the last two games is that TFC are creating goals through play down the flanks.  That was always a bit weakness. They are more dangerious down the flanks now than up the middle.   This might also explain why they have been able to get by without a defensive mid.  Next game,  with altidore out,  i suspect we are going to see Akinola alone up front and Fraser inserted as the dmid 

Edited by Free kick

Dont know what to say about this game.  TFC werent great. But neither was NE.   Ciman wasnt poor and didnt commit a costly error, so thats worth mention.  I saw the first ever decent play from Mullins in the game.  Good thing that TFC has string of matches against weaker opponents upcomming.  
Mavinga was very good in this game.   TFC Would have probably been very happy with draw,  so the three points have to be a big bonus.

Edited by Free kick