TFC 2020 Season

Big_M

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I am not sure i would blame the defense for that result.  On the first goal,  It was Pozuelo (i think) who made the poor decision to pass to Gonzales who was in a vulnerable position to receive the ball.  On the second goal,  the central defender got to the ball and cleared it with a header (as you are expected to do).  It fell to the foot of Yow who made a terrific play with a one-touch volley.  Other than clearing the ball behind the goal line, which would have conceded a corner,  that was best play that the defender could do.  
TFC played well enough to win that game.  They were able to find and create  lots of space in the attacking areas and the DC defense was not that good.  But too often the would squander chances by making one pass too many.  Or trying to get to cute in the attacking third.  For this result,  i would put more of the blame on the attacking players rather than the defending players.  

pozuelo made a bad pass but gonzales should have done better and zavs is just so damn slow he couldnt catch up (mavinga does easily) TFC needs at least 2 or 3 new CBs next year and send ciman, zavs packing. There are plenty of better CBs in the CPL you could get for less money and they have Dunn. 

2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

pozuelo made a bad pass but gonzales should have done better

Gonzalez should have done better but let's give credit to Kamara for getting on his horse to close down and then capitalizing on a weak first touch by the CB.  He earned his chance and took it. 

Edited by BearcatSA

TFC can't seem to concentrate for 90 minutes. They control the game for a time then suddenly switch off. Either they get complacent on back passes, or the defence gets caught upfield on a counter, and lets face it, Laryea and Mavinga aside, they're too slow for MLS forwards.  What's most maddening, is when they score to take the lead and instantly stop pressing and let the other team back up. Both games against DC this year it's happened. But you can point to the game against San Jose, and even a couple that they won over Impact and Whitecaps, as examples.

For a team with this much talent the fact they can't seem to play a full 90 bothers me.

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

He's super explosive, those guys tend to get hurt more compared to turtles like Omar, zavs etc

You must have read The Sports Gene by David Epstein because in a part of one chapter he writes about some footballers who are prone to those soft tissue, lower body injuries by the nature of that specific physical athletic trait.  However, it also discussed how individualized training and physio plans have reduced those injuries.

And regardless of that individualized program, some guys still get hurt.  I think he's one of those kind of guys.

At halftime so far versus NYCFC.  I missed the first 22 minutes, But what i am seeing is exactly the same as what happened in that TFC-NYCFC “MLS is back tournament“ game.    I recall commenting after that game that it looked like NYCFC was playing the whole game with an extra player.   Thats whats happening tonight,  TFC cant get settled on the ball,  NYCFC is pressing in all areas of the pitch,  and TFC is looking like kick and run team.  They dont look the same in these games this year versus NYCFC LIKE THEY do against every other team. 

Edited by Free kick

5 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

They don't have a ball winner in midfield or a number 6, which isn't helping. Not a surprise that De Leon is off as he was struggling the most to keep possession.

Yes.  And the last game versus NYC, the no. 6 (Bradley) had a terrible game.  I am wondering if the new 5 subs rule is helping NYC and they’re taking advantage of this rule to high press more than ever.  

Edited by Free kick

I can see why Vanney doesn't play Gallardo much - he seems to have a low soccer IQ. He just makes a long of the wrong passes, the wrong runs and a couple of times just naively put his head down and ran with the ball up the field straight into three defenders. To sum up the larceny on the night it's Gallardo's mis-controlled ball which falls advantageously to Morrow the strike the ball that got them the PK. I agree with Caldwell that Nelson showed far more promise and was more effective (thank the lord Vanney finally played him). Tough not to be excited by the kid, he looks comfortable on the ball, strong on the tackle and made some nice combinations with his teammates. He will only get better. Not sure about Gallardo in that regard.

What a bizarre game though. Osorio as a number 6, Altidore played as a left midfielder (seriously, why bother?)

As for Gallacher, yeah he played a lot of passes back up that was the safer option against a tough opponent and also exacerbated by the fact that unlike Gallardo, he can hardly be overly familiar with this teammates so making the safe play is the smarter option.

40 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Two bad calls go against Nelson.  Do Referees hate teenagers?

edit.;  now three bad calls go against Nelson.   This one from the linesman.

This Ref hated to make the right calls for either team. A lot of plays that should got a yellow (mainly from NYCFC) didn't earn one but plays that didn't deserve one did. Castellenos should have got booked but not for what he was booked for. And I don't understand why the guy who's arm was struck by the ball gets a yellow on the PK call - you get a yellow now if the ball hits your arm with great velocity if you're trying to get it out of the way? And Tinnerholm can go back to Sweden and watch some Wallander while listening to Opeth if he thinks that was some kind of dirty foul by Nelson - ironically Nelson just beat him to the punch in terms of what Tinnerholm was going to do to him.

43 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

This Ref hated to make the right calls for either team. A lot of plays that should got a yellow (mainly from NYCFC) didn't earn one but plays that didn't deserve one did. Castellenos should have got booked but not for what he was booked for. And I don't understand why the guy who's arm was struck by the ball gets a yellow on the PK call - you get a yellow now if the ball hits your arm with great velocity if you're trying to get it out of the way? And Tinnerholm can go back to Sweden and watch some Wallander while listening to Opeth if he thinks that was some kind of dirty foul by Nelson - ironically Nelson just beat him to the punch in terms of what Tinnerholm was going to do to him.

By law, if you are called for handball on a goal bound shot, you must be cautioned, unless it's DOGSO, in which case you're sent off.

Ugly game, lucky to get any points, but thems the breaks eh?  Next game it'll go against us.  Vanney didnt have many ideas that worked...hasnt given much chances to the rest of the squad (okello/shaff/nelsen) and was stuck trying to stick round pegs in square holes in the midfield.  AYo and Jozy didnt look good together even trying a route one style. Its almost like he threw in the towel, mid week game, lots of injuries, throw out Bono with a diamond midfield, play hoof and chase and we'll start fresh with healthy rested guys for the weekend.  

Just now, Bison44 said:

AYo and Jozy didnt look good together even trying a route one style. Its almost like he threw in the towel, mid week game, lots of injuries, throw out Bono with a diamond midfield, play hoof and chase and we'll start fresh with healthy rested guys for the weekend.  

Yeah.  It’s looking more and more like those two paired up front is not the solution.  I don’t see them working off each other.   No chemistry.  Maybe their styles are too similar for them to be able to work off of each other. 

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

And I don't understand why the guy who's arm was struck by the ball gets a yellow on the PK call - you get a yellow now if the ball hits your arm with great velocity if you're trying to get it out of the way? 

Yes.  That was clearly ball to hand.  Plus the defender had his hands on his body and not out wide.  And he was protecting himself.    On the flip side,  NYC couldn’t finish their chances.  And that’s what happen when you don’t finish.  

their coach made three subs all at once.  That’s 30% of the field players changed. In one swoop of subs.  Not sure that’s a smart move when your the team playing with the foot on the accelerator.  They weren’t as dominant from around that point onward. 

Edited by Free kick

Well, maybe it might work (Ayo/Jozy) but it takes time...maybe they learned something that will pay off later in the year??  I was sure wishing Okello had some games under their belt and maybe he could have slotted into one of the mid spots tonight so we didnt have to have 3-4 formations switches in the first half.  

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

By law, if you are called for handball on a goal bound shot, you must be cautioned, unless it's DOGSO, in which case you're sent off.

Pretty stupid law if that's the case since half the time now when a PK handball is called the players don't know anything other about it other than the ball smacking against their arm unintentionally. What happens if they determine that it's an intentional blocking, does the law state that in addition to the yellow card and the PK, they also cut the  player's testicles cut off and feed them to the nearest Venus Fly-trap? Giving the PK is bad enough but for ball-to-hand incidents but adding the card is ridiculous IMO when it's a play like that.

30 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Yes.  That was clearly ball to hand.  Plus the defender had his hands on his body and not out wide.  And he was protecting himself.    On the flip side,  NYC couldn’t finish their chances.  And that’s what happen when you don’t finish.  

their coach made three subs all at once.  That’s 30% of the field players changed. In one swoop of subs.  Not sure that’s a smart move when your the team playing with the foot on the accelerator.  They weren’t as dominant from around that point onward. 

Yeah, good observation. Castellanos he had to take off because he was about to get a 2nd yellow at any minute (and was already very lucky not to get a 2nd one, even if his first was undeserved), but the other subs were probably unnecessary to be made at that time. Also bad news for them that they lost Heber again.

On TFC's side, that was a much better performance from Gonzalez after he won the Molson Three Worst Stars of the Match award on Saturday.