TFC 2020 Season

Big_M

^^^I think you may be misunderstanding me - I'm saying I expect Altidore to be in the same statistical category as Cavallini and Akinola on that chart (maybe a little bit higher, but not a lot), in the box receiving passes so that they can score there. He's got a fairly high score of passes into the box, which must mean that he himself isn't in the box to receive those passes. Both his goals this year have not come from inside the box IIRC. 

10 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Interesting that Baldisimo is so low...in particular the fact he doesnt seem to have played one pass into the penalty area.  But when you look at the whole Whitecaps midfield, they are very negative and poorly rated

Baldisimo tends to drop deep and take possession from the CBs within 10 yards of the Whitecaps' box. His forward passes tend to be through midfield or long, cross-field balls. He rarely gets the ball far enough forward for him to be playing lots of balls into the opposition box. 

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

Baldisimo tends to drop deep and take possession from the CBs within 10 yards of the Whitecaps' box. His forward passes tend to be through midfield or long, cross-field balls. He rarely gets the ball far enough forward for him to be playing lots of balls into the opposition box. 

Very true - the goals he's helped to set up have been from long diagonal balls of 50 or so yards to wingers who proceed to place it into the box for the likes of Cavallini to knock in. He's just normally too far away from the opposition 18 to play a short through ball or cross into the box.

4 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

^^^I think you may be misunderstanding me - I'm saying I expect Altidore to be in the same statistical category as Cavallini and Akinola on that chart (maybe a little bit higher, but not a lot), in the box receiving passes so that they can score there. He's got a fairly high score of passes into the box, which must mean that he himself isn't in the box to receive those passes. Both his goals this year have not come from inside the box IIRC. 

Yes, I didn't read your comment carefully enough.  It was clear, but I missed it.

22 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Very true - the goals he's helped to set up have been from long diagonal balls of 50 or so yards to wingers who proceed to place it into the box for the likes of Cavallini to knock in. He's just normally too far away from the opposition 18 to play a short through ball or cross into the box.

This is all true but if you look at Bradley who also plays deep (not as deep as Baldisimo but still deep) and Wanyama who does, they both have played balls into the box and even play more positive balls outside the box than Baldisimo.  This is not a total knock against Baldisimo as its probably as much do to the fact that the Whitecaps never retain possession enough to give him the opportunities farther up the field or even from within his own half.  But the jury is still out then on whether Baldisimo can play the shorter positive pass within the final third which he would need to take his game to the next level.

On 11/3/2020 at 6:17 PM, Gian-Luca said:

That isn't too surprising. The one that sticks out for me is where Altidore is compared to the other target strikers. It suggests he hasn't been in the box receiving passes this year anywhere near as much as he should be, even when it plays

Altidore’s always been atypical as a target man because he’s a very good passer, and will often look to combine with teammates (even inside the box).

He was always going to be the furthest forward on that graph among the strikers, IMO (especially when compared to pure poachers like Cavallini).

During the broadcast of the last game, the commentators mentioned that TFC were trying to get special permission from the Canadian government to allow them to train together at home during the break.  I don't know what happened with that, but I really hope they got that permission.  They looked like they were hurting from their lifestyle while playing away in the US.  They seemed spent, and looked like they could really use a couple of weeks at home.

57 minutes ago, rkomar said:

During the broadcast of the last game, the commentators mentioned that TFC were trying to get special permission from the Canadian government to allow them to train together at home during the break.  I don't know what happened with that, but I really hope they got that permission.  They looked like they were hurting from their lifestyle while playing away in the US.  They seemed spent, and looked like they could really use a couple of weeks at home.

They are back

Edited by narduch

• 2 weeks later...

I wish they would actually post the ko time on the MLS website instead of when TSN are going to start talking about the match, until recently the MLS site gave the actual ko time! I'm glad to see Osorio and Laryea start, I would have started Laryea at RB and Gallacher on the left or pushed Laryea into the midfield instead of Deleon!