TFC 2020 Season

Big_M

55 minutes ago, red card said:

A bit surprising to hear it from a MLS broadcaster but KJ basically tears apart MLS regular season - compares it to FI qualifying. He starts around 1:50.

I completely agree with KJ.   In principle, playoff systems are stupid. 
TFC just got robbed.

Edited by Free kick

4 minutes ago, Free kick said:

If Piatti is one yellow away from missing a match, then why didnt they sit him tonight given that you can be sure that he will be available for the match versus Philly.  

With Mullins as striker you need another real attacking option.

What this crap that we learned of today tells us is:  that we made the right decision in handing over the administering of the vcup to the CSA.   This shit from today proves that you have have to have an impartial arbiter making important decsion regarding the competion system and awarding and rcognizing of the champion.   For all great things fans bring to the process, there is two major problem with fans:   1) they are not impartial 2) no two fans are the same in the level of emotion investment and interest that they have to the game and their club.

Edited by Free kick

11 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

This game has been painful to watch. Endoh and Mullins have been invisible, have to keep the latter on as they have no other strikers but Endoh should be replaced at the half.Delgado is having an off match, making the attack look anemic overall

Its a terrible game.  If there ever was a game to play the kids, this is it.   Right now (based on what we learned pre game and at hal time) TFC are playing for nothing.

Edited by Free kick

59 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Its a terrible game.  If there ever was a game to play the kids, this is it.   Right now (based on what we learned pre game and at hal time) TFC are playing for nothing.

It is no surprise to me that TFC scored only until Endoh was subbed off. He was really helping to kill the attack as he kept running back to make himself an option to receive the ball from one of the defenders and he would just immediately pass the ball back to the guy who gave it to him. He couldn't keep the ball himself or advance it. Nelson made a big difference, he made better runs and could advance the ball and take people on with it. It gave Atlanta something to think about where's before that they had little to worry about other than Pozeulo

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

So a double screw job for TFC if they top the league.  No trophy and no auto-berth.  Lol.  Gotta love MLS 

But based on the above, it's Concacaf that seems to be saying no to TFC getting the CCL spot, not MLS. And they are probably doing so on the basis of the USSF.

Have to figure the decision on handing out hardware for finishing first in the league is going to get reversed somehow. Has anyone said anything in favour of this decision? It seems to have been universally condemned

Tfc will just make a copy of the shield and put it in their display case if they win.  If they finish first who cares where the trophy comes from?  If the idiot Supporters group doesn’t give it out, give it to yourselves.  If you win, you win.  You can bet if NYFC was in first this discussion wouldn’t be happening.

The spots in the champions league are given to the Federations as it’s been reported on here.  CSA could just give it to the MLS team that finishes highest but they dont.  We play the Cdn championship for the 1 spot.  
The US Soccer federation isn’t going to send a Canadian team with one of their spots.  The real issue here is that we are only given 1 automatic spot.  Now that we have are own league we should have 2, perhaps 1 to the top MLS team and 1 for the CPL champions.

I think stressing over TFC getting jobbed out of the CCL spot is counting your chickens before they hatch.  There are still plenty of games left in the season to blow the lead, and TFC have been winning by the narrowest margins lately.  I'm going to wait for them to finish first before I feel like MLS should have worded things more carefully.

More confusion as the MLS statement in this article would suggest that TFC would get the CCL spot if they finish first overall (it doesn't say anything about exceptions for Canadian teams, which one would think they would do given there is a Canadian team with a 6 point lead with 4-5 games left).

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-fc-s-greg-vanney-rips-supporters-shield-decision-1.1540467

11 minutes ago, rkomar said:

I think stressing over TFC getting jobbed out of the CCL spot is counting your chickens before they hatch.  There are still plenty of games left in the season to blow the lead, and TFC have been winning by the narrowest margins lately.  I'm going to wait for them to finish first before I feel like MLS should have worded things more carefully.

The way this might work, it will be Forge who get jobbed out of the CCL spot (unless of course they pull off a major upset against TFC after not playing for 2-3 months).

12 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

So a double screw job for TFC if they top the league.  No trophy and no auto-berth.  Lol.  Gotta love MLS 

This isn't exactly new information. The only way a Canadian team gets into the CCL is through the V Cup (MLSisBack was a one-time deviation from that, but no Canadian team won that tournament anyway).

CCL spots are not handed out by MLS. They belong to the national federations, so it is (and always has been) the USSF and CSA's call.

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

Yes, the supporters shield champion get the CCL spot only if they are American. This isn’t new and was determined in 2017 when TFC won. 

By the way the decision to forgo handing out the supporters shield trophy this year is the most idiotic and asinine thing I have ever heard. 

There is rumor on reddit the ISC did not actually make this decision and was "told" it was going to happen. There are also (apparently) on-going discussions in that committee on what to do about this.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

By the way the decision to forgo handing out the supporters shield trophy this year is the most idiotic and asinine thing I have ever heard. 

Its a real screw over.   Its akin to:  the indy 500 or a formulae one race that is being being run.  But when there is two laps left, the drivers and teams that are out of contention decide that we shouldnt award and recognize the champion nor hand out the trophy because they dont like what is happening the world. 

what total bush league!  This should not ever happen in any league or organization that purports to be serious,  this would never happen in even a beer league.   To me,  this is the biggest black mark on MLS since day one that i have been following it.  I have been paying to go down to watch games since year one.  I bought my seasons tickets the first morning (maybe even first hour) that they went on sale for the first time.

Edited by Free kick

There are some US fans who are supportive of this decision and they say it's because of an unbalanced schedule (even though it is unbalanced every year) and because TFC is only in first because they got to beat up on Montreal & Vancouver (even though those are the two only two teams to have beat TFC in the regular season this year and TFC is undefeated against American opposition).

So yeah pretty nonsensical.