TFC 2020 Season

Big_M

8 hours ago, rkomar said:

It's been decades since I reffed, but my take was that the infringing team does not get the advantage.  If the team defending the kick infringes and the ball does not go in, the kick is retaken.  If it goes in, the goal stands.  If the team taking the penalty kick infringes and the ball goes in, then the kick is retaken.  If a goal was not scored, the kick is not retaken.  The penalty for the infringement should not make the other team worse off.

a team-mate of the player taking the kick infringes the Laws of the Game: • the referee allows the kick to be taken • if the ball enters the goal, the kick is retaken • if the ball does not enter the goal, the referee stops play and the match is restarted with an indirect free kick to the defending team from the place where the infringement occurred.

This is out of the FIFA rules of the.game on page 49. Pretty much self explanatory.

I have not ever seen a play like that whereby a pk is awarded on a play when the ball and play is clearly and undisputably outside the box.  Should a PK have been awarded?  And if anyone feels that the answer is Yes.  Then what about on all those corners kicks where there too many fouls to count occuring by defenders in the box.  Holding, grabbing, jostling...etc.

9 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I have not ever seen a play like that whereby a pk is awarded on a play when the ball and play is clearly and undisputably outside the box.  Should a PK have been awarded?  And if anyone feels that the answer is Yes.  Then what about on all those corners kicks where there too many fouls to count occuring by defenders in the box.  Holding, grabbing, jostling...etc.

I can recall a famous example dating back to 1993 in a crucial WCQ match against Honduras. Ball it outside of the box but Honduran keeper gets red card for stomping deliberately on Bunbury in the box. He also gave Bunbury a forearm (which Bunbury over-reacted to) but I still think the red card was for the stomp all these years later:

Bless his heart, Graham Leggat gets a lot wrong here in the commentary. He misses the stomp and the fact that the keeper deliberately looked back at Bunbury before doing the stomp and keeps saying that the "ball was dead" at the time of the foul - but clearly it wasn't, the Ref blew the play dead in order to call the foul in the box.

Edited by Gian-Luca

Has Toronto left for Hartford yet? Can't they stay in Toronto and play the finals next week. Regular season games are always postponed for cup games. 

If not, I would prefer the finals to be played shortly in Hartford rather than wait for the end of the MLS season. The optics of playing the Canadian final in the US is bad, but it would be terrible for the CanPl champ to have to wait that long.

10 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Has Toronto left for Hartford yet? Can't they stay in Toronto and play the finals next week. Regular season games are always postponed for cup games. 

If not, I would prefer the finals to be played shortly in Hartford rather than wait for the end of the weMLS season. The optics of playing the Canadian final in the US is bad, but it would be terrible for the CanPl champ to have to wait that long.

We could always argue it's a prestige move, our Cup draws so much interest we played it in the US.

Voyageurs Cup on Tour.

I am not sure i would blame the defense for that result.  On the first goal,  It was Pozuelo (i think) who made the poor decision to pass to Gonzales who was in a vulnerable position to receive the ball.  On the second goal,  the central defender got to the ball and cleared it with a header (as you are expected to do).  It fell to the foot of Yow who made a terrific play with a one-touch volley.  He could have cleared the ball behind the goal line, but  would have conceded a corner,  so that was best play that the defender could do.  
TFC played well enough to win that game.  They were able to find and create  lots of space in the attacking areas and the DC defense was not that good.  But too often TFC would squander chances by making one pass too many.  Or one touch too many. Or trying to get to cute in the attacking third.  For this result,  i would put more of the blame on the attacking players rather than the defending players.  

Edit:  another thought.  If you compare the defending by TFC’s opponents in the last two games (DCU versus Montreal).  There is no question in my mind that Montreal had better structure and  better talent in that area of the game.  Whereas DCU was terrible.   So what was the difference?  One supposed bad pass by Camacho.  There were others on the pitch for Montreal who could have done something to mitigate the risk and consequences of what resulted.    Which proves that good defending is far more than that one brain cramp that you might have every 5-10 games.  Good defending is athleticism but also about consistency,  positioning, anticipating etc.  the kind of things most people wont notice.   Success is measured in percentages.  It also is team thing,  not just the central defenders.  This argument ties into my otherr points as to why i still think that Doneil Henry should still be in the pitture for the starting 11 in WCQ.

Edited by Free kick