Owen Goodman - 2003 GK - Crystal Palace

Sigma78

5 hours ago, Vasi said:

Also this kid was born in England and lived most of his life in England. Moved here at 6. He lived here for 7ish years. Played for the u 13's of CP.

I personally have no hope of him paying for us, not do I have any qualms if he does not play for us.

Good luck to him.

There really aren't alot of spots for an MNT for a goalie. I have lots of hope that an open position with Canada would entice him then waiting and hoping for a England one. If he moves up to League One than I think Canada would call him in

England has even less spots than Canada, so to speak. Pickford is only 29, Ramsdale is 25, we’re looking at what, almost a decade until the starting spot is up for grabs? After that, you even have guys like Anthony Patterson at Sunderland who is only 23, James Trafford is starting for Burnley at 20, and not to mention other guys at Goodman’s level; I mean even Tom McGill is at least on a premier league roster, does England hypothetically have Goodman ahead of him in their depth chart? Colchester, who he has started every game for is currently 3 points out of relegation to non-league football. I mean, Palace also has Joe Whitworth who is 19 and has played games for CP.

I just think the number of keepers ahead of him means that he has to go from a League Two goalie today to not only a premier league keeper, but a top tier one in a matter of 5 or so years to even get consideration for England, whereas in Canada he only has to beat our maybe 4 guys to get in the mix, and the second he steps on the pitch for Crystal Palace he’d probably be at the very least our third stringer. I think he comes home and plays for us.

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

England has even less spots than Canada, so to speak. Pickford is only 29, Ramsdale is 25, we’re looking at what, almost a decade until the starting spot is up for grabs? After that, you even have guys like Anthony Patterson at Sunderland who is only 23, James Trafford is starting for Burnley at 20, and not to mention other guys at Goodman’s level; I mean even Tom McGill is at least on a premier league roster, does England hypothetically have Goodman ahead of him in their depth chart? Colchester, who he has started every game for is currently 3 points out of relegation to non-league football. I mean, Palace also has Joe Whitworth who is 19 and has played games for CP.

I just think the number of keepers ahead of him means that he has to go from a League Two goalie today to not only a premier league keeper, but a top tier one in a matter of 5 or so years to even get consideration for England, whereas in Canada he only has to beat our maybe 4 guys to get in the mix, and the second he steps on the pitch for Crystal Palace he’d probably be at the very least our third stringer. I think he comes home and plays for us.

Think the risk national team wise is more Nigeria than England for Goodman. Much more open in their depth chart than Englands.

10 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

So did Begovic.. who became a very solid Premier League keeper

Great, lets call him up when he's playing a similar level to our other GK's or better.  Just because he has a 2nd passport means he deserves a call-up.  Do you know how far away he is from being a senior England international?

8 hours ago, Footyeh said:

Great, lets call him up when he's playing a similar level to our other GK's or better.  Just because he has a 2nd passport means he deserves a call-up.  Do you know how far away he is from being a senior England international?

Again, the worry is Nigeria, not England. I agree that it’s probably too soon, but how would he compare to McGill who’s already been called up?

1 hour ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Again, the worry is Nigeria, not England. I agree that it’s probably too soon, but how would he compare to McGill who’s already been called up?

McGill doesn't even play, he hardly has games at a professional level.  He shouldn't be called up either... It's slap in the face of those who are playing

2 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

It's not about feelings it is about potential. Would I mind calling Goodman up as 3rd keeper instead of DSC? Probably not, even though you say it would be a "slap in the face"

The thing is potential can only rely on so much optimism. At some point you have to turn to the now. Especially when it comes to goalkeepers...some are career back ups, but I'm sure they had projected potential.

For me, the national team should rarely call in guys just based on potential. (I understand if it's done to cap tie) However gone are those days that having Juventus attached to your name, warrants you getting called in. 

4 hours ago, Shway said:

The thing is potential can only rely on so much optimism. At some point you have to turn to the now. Especially when it comes to goalkeepers...some are career back ups, but I'm sure they had projected potential.

For me, the national team should rarely call in guys just based on potential. (I understand if it's done to cap tie) However gone are those days that having Juventus attached to your name, warrants you getting called in. 

You're correct, but unfortunately our youth teams are inactive other than U17/U20 WCQ and the odd U15 games. Lack of CSA funding/Concacaf not doing much for youth competitions are part of the problem vs Euro youth soccer. Just as an example, Portugal recently fielded 3 youth teams on the same day! It's why the senior team has to periodically call in dual nationals with potential and hopefully land a quality player for our squad. We probably should have called Tomori to our senior squad vs youth teams and capped him before he was called to England's youth teams which happened after the Canada/England game

Ch

6 hours ago, Shway said:

Also completely disagree with this. If you have a chance to get someone into camp someone that you think could be a game changer, you do it. You don't risk losing them to bring in Loturi or Fraser.

We know who Kennedy and Zator are. I am so happy that they called in LDF instead. Whether he is a part of the next three world cups or not, it doesn't mmatter. He might be. You have to see him and go from there. Canada doesn't get many chances at game changers.

We all blame Ivan for Mitrovic but he should of been called in sooner. He is now a part of Serbia's team. We blame Tomori for being dumb enough for getting captied but he is now part of England. He don't have enough tournaments like the Gold Cup, to cap tie them.

Definitely not saying bringing in every young guy. But one (or two) depending on talent and importance of game, i think is great. The 23rd and 24th players in camp don't usually play anyways and you might as well scout them up close. I don't think Kolescho ends up playing for Canada but there still is a small chance. I don't think there would be any chance if he didn't attend a camp

Edited by blueseeka

10 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

It's not about feelings it is about potential. Would I mind calling Goodman up as 3rd keeper instead of DSC? Probably not, even though you say it would be a "slap in the face"

What's his potential vs the potential of DSC, Sirois, Hasal, Pantemis etc etc. ???

No one can answer that because no one's really even seen him play.  We use the world potential because he's attached to a big club like Crystal Palace, other than that no has any basis.

2 hours ago, Footyeh said:

What's his potential vs the potential of DSC, Sirois, Hasal, Pantemis etc etc. ???

No one can answer that because no one's really even seen him play.  We use the world potential because he's attached to a big club like Crystal Palace, other than that no has any basis.

I’ve watched him for my rankings. He’s athletic with elite shot stopping, needs to work on using the ball at his feet. I think he’s our highest ceiling keeper prospect. 

On 10/6/2023 at 6:24 PM, InglewoodJack said:

James Trafford is starting for Burnley at 20, and not to mention other guys...

Basically, going by the squads, for the '02s and younger, the top 3 would be:

- James Trafford http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Trafford (an '02)

- Matthew Cox http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Cox_(footballer) (an '03)

- James Beadle http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Beadle (an '04)

https://www.englandfootball.com/articles/2023/Oct/06/england-mens-under-21s-squad-october-20231006

The question is, is Owen Goodman #4 ?

4 hours ago, Footyeh said:

I've seen him play several times. But, that was when I was refereeing CP academy matches a few years back, and Owen was only 15.

On 10/14/2023 at 9:44 AM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

...he played 90 minutes on Thursday for England U20s in the Elite League.

Wasn't in the lineup for the 2nd match against Portugal?

https://www.englandfootball.com/articles/2023/Oct/17/england-mens-elite-league-squad-portugal-match-report-20231710

Where did he go? 🧐 As you said, he was a starter for the first match:

https://www.englandfootball.com/articles/2023/Oct/12/england-mens-elite-league-squad-romania-report-20231012

As expected, he hasn't been in the lineup for Colchester for their past two matches.

Was in goal for Colchester today.

On 10/18/2023 at 12:52 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I still don't know why he wasn't in the lineup for the second England match.

• 3 weeks later...

On 11/10/2023 at 11:26 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I’m guessing you not seen the own goal, if you have are you really putting the blame on him after seeing the ball he was given to deal with. Also made 5 saves in said game to help win the game 3.2. Had a man of the match performance next game in 1.0 win v Accrington that not only got him on league 2 team of the week but also EFL team of the week 

• 4 weeks later...