Owen Goodman - 2003 GK - Crystal Palace

Sigma78

Owen played last season with their U15 side, and in April was invited to train with the England U16s.

He was in goal for Crystal Palace U15s in May when they won the national Super Floodlit Cup for the first time in the club's history.

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2019/may/report-crystal-palace-v-wigan-athletic-super-floodlit-cup-national-final/

Edited by Sigma78

I refereed a lot of Premier League academy matches last season in London, including many CPFC U15/16 games. Owen is a really big kid and a good 'keeper. However, from a conversation I had with the Palace academy GK coach, I'm not sure he's eligible for Canada. Seems like he was born and grew up in London, bar a short stint in Canada (1 or 2 years) when he had one of his parents working there.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

A nigerian website claims that he is eligible for Canada and is considering a switch to Canada or Nigeria if another nation offers him a quicker pathway to regular international football than he is getting with England:

https://thestreetjournal.org/crystal-palace-sensation-makes-u-turn-on-playing-for-england-commits-to-super-eagles/

he Is a ways away from the first team with palace but he is highly regarded within their youth system and signed a pro deal recently.  Dont really have a sense of what level he will end up playing at as a senior player but has been in the England u18s fairly recently so this is a bit surprising on his part if true.

site is homespun quality wise (see inaccurate headline) but from what I can tell It does seem like he did a zoom call with nigerian media recently as there are several other stories referencing the call and talking about his potential to play for Nigeria popping up since.  Think this at minimum gives some credibility to the idea that he is eligible for Canada

Edited by Footscray

2 hours ago, devioustrevor said:

Even with Borjan aging, we still have Crepeau, Pantemis, St. Clair, Hasal, Desjardins and perhaps Busti if he ever gets regular time so he can develop.

Goalkeeper is one position where we seem to have an abundance of solid, young talent.

Lol busti….

The way I see it, I want them all…you can’t predict the future, and you never know where players may end up.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Lol busti….

The way I see it, I want them all…you can’t predict the future, and you never know where players may end up.

For sure.  You can basically assume half of those guys won’t emerge to a point where they should be a goalie for our national team for a variety of reasons.  The more the merrier.  I know for some being a starter in the Premier league isn’t the cats meow, but in a couple season for arguments sake he is the starter at Crystal Palace, he’s gonna be the starter for the national team in most situations 

He's with the U18s right now, and behind Ollie Webber with the U23s who is quite a bit older (21) and also N. Ireland's U21 NT Keeper - when he went away for NT duty Whitworth a 17 year old has been covering Webber's absence and getting most of the games, but Goodman has had a couple of starts with the U23s and is in the conversation.  Expect that Webber will go out on loan at League 2 level or so to get some first team experience next year and Goodman and Whitworth will be competing to be Palace's PL2 keeper which is a decent standard to be playing at as B team football goes.  Palace also has 3 veteran first team keepers.

So bottom line is that he is promising and highly valued by one of the best academies in the UK (in my opinion) but has a fairly long road ahead still.  If I had to guess I'd say he'll follow Webber and end up playing lower leagues in a few years trying to make his way up the ladder.  Too bad Canada doesn't have anyone at the club to convince him - as others have said can't have too many players playing at this youth level, and have been thinking lately that this would be the perfect EPL club for Laryea since van anholt left this summer :).

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

If we want #1 potential, we'll need Milan to teach him how to wear sweat pants.

Can someone help me understand the obsession with his sweatpants. Is it just uncommon for goalies to wear them in the professional game?

19 hours ago, Vasi said:

Has anyone seen this kid play? Does  he have #1 potential? 

He is on the right trajectory, he is the main u18 keeper for an established English Premier League team and has recently stepped up to the reserves and got a start. While he isn't a first teamer yet he has been involved with the England U18 set up too. Pretty hard to tell but he is on the right course..but so was Busti (who is still only 21!)