Owen Goodman - 2003 GK - Crystal Palace

Sigma78

Good to see he seems to have the starting spot.  I think he has a shot at being our starting keeper in 2026. A very imposing figure and quite athletic.  Of course, he would need to be starting for his parent club by then or close to equivalent as well as committing to us. But good that he seems like he will be getting minutes in League 2 this year.  

• 4 weeks later...

Also not in the England U21 squad:

https://www.englandfootball.com/articles/2023/Sep/01/england-mu21s-squad-named-to-play-luxembourg-20230901

Just as a reminder, Nigeria, like us, didn't qualify for the Paris 2024 Olympics.

The only youth football he is still eligible for is England U21 call-ups. Otherwise it is trying to get senior team action.

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Also not in the England U21 squad:

https://www.englandfootball.com/articles/2023/Sep/01/england-mu21s-squad-named-to-play-luxembourg-20230901

Just as a reminder, Nigeria, like us, didn't qualify for the Paris 2024 Olympics.

The only youth football he is still eligible for is England U21 call-ups. Otherwise it is trying to get senior team action.

He is League 2 on loan from a Premier League club.  Two of the England u21 keepers are League 1 (one also on loan from a Premier League club).  So not miles off there. Trafford is the other and he has started both games for Burnley. 

Goodman will age out a year after Trafford, so maybe he waits for a bit.  But all those I mentioned are eligible for the 2025 Euros (born after Jan 2002).

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

8 hours ago, Kadenge said:

The number of National youth levels and competitions in Europe is incredible. So many opportunities for young players to showcase their talents and for National & club scouts to assess players in addition to their club performances.

Very true. The UEFA ecosystem benefits everyone involved.

170 scouts showed up recently for ITA u16 v ENG u16 at Italy FA's technical centre in Florence.

They can't talk to the players but it was easier than getting into St George's Park. They can also learn how the players were like away from the pitch. Sometimes, it helps to know more about who to steer clear from.

Lots of agents also but they were more focused on what was going in the stands to better understand the silent partnerships between the parents and agents.

One of England’s most exciting players is Rio Ngumoha from Chelsea. An agent speaking to the Athletic notices there are 10 or so London-based agents sitting close to his relatives. Agents can talk to the families but can't discuss money with most of them till they turn 16.

Agents often get in with the families by setting up boot deals since it is often the obession of a player. 

https://theathletic.com/4805463/2023/08/29/england-youth-transfer-scouts-agents/

23 hours ago, Xavier. said:

Called up to England u20

I had never even heard of a u20 team (thought they only had u19 and u21)… and I read they even have a new small ‘elite league’ made up 8 mostly wealthy euro nations.  In a few years we’ll have a tournament for u18.5’s… geesh

Edited by TOcanadafan

38 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

I had never even heard of a u20 team (thought they only had u19 and u21)… and I read they even have a new small ‘elite league’ made up 8 mostly wealthy euro nations.  In a few years we’ll have a tournament for u18.5’s… geesh

There has been an u20 World Cup for a while.  (I watched a number of games at Commonwealth in the 2007 one.) So there has been a team in England since I can remember.  Usually real good prospects don't spend a lot of time there. They mostly skip from u19s to U21s but that sometimes changes around World Cup time. 

Ugbo played in the England u20s and Tomori did a lot before graduating to the U21s (the latter won a u20 World Cup in 2017.)

And Jebbison just played limited minutes in the World Cup this year.

15 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

There has been an u20 World Cup for a while.

@TOcanadafan 's point is that it hasn't been quite like this in the past. Usually the U20s are designated separately from the U19s if a particular UEFA nation has qualified to the U20 World Cup. This lasts until the end of the U20 World Cup.

This U20 tournament has 03's in it although the U20 World Cup is already over for the year.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

2 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

@TOcanadafan 's point is that it hasn't been quite like this in the past. Usually the U20s are designated separately from the U19s if a particular UEFA nation has qualified to the U20 World Cup. This lasts until the end of the U20 World Cup.

This U20 tournament has 03's in it although the U20 World Cup is already over for the year.

They added the Elite League a few years ago as he said.  But there has always been a u20 team hanging around that you really didn't want to be picked for, from my memory.

23 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

They added the Elite League a few years ago as he said.  But there has always been a u20 team hanging around that you really didn't want to be picked for, from my memory.

Ya, I just thought the Europe just used their u19’s to qualify for the next u20 World Cup.  
And I agree, there’s definitely a pecking order… if you’re a standout for u19 you go right to the u21 team.

1 hour ago, TOcanadafan said:

Ya, I just thought the Europe just used their u19’s to qualify for the next u20 World Cup.  
And I agree, there’s definitely a pecking order… if you’re a standout for u19 you go right to the u21 team.

Looked it up this morning, just to satisfy my curiousity and check my memory.

So that infamous friendly in March 2016, where Tomori played for us - Canada u20 vs England u20s.   That same window, both the England u19s and u21s were playing qualifiers for their respective Euros.

Lots of overlap at various time but three teams most of time. 

(some future decent players in that u20 team Tomori faced - Rashford, Greenwood, Winks, Angus Gunn, Mason Holgate. 

• 5 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Shway said:

Isn't he more interested in joining Nigeria? 

I don’t really know where he stands but honestly Nigeria would be the better career choice for him, Pretty much a direct path to the #1 on a team with a lot of talent around him