Owen Goodman - 2003 GK - Crystal Palace

Sigma78

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

We should call him up if he performs, seems like he’s rated. 

Agreed.

I think it’s basically between us and Nigeria, England have James Trafford as well who was just sold to Burnley from the Man City academy after winning the UEFA u21 Championship (and that’s behind Pickford, Ramsdale etc). Not sure of Nigeria’s keeper options.

He’s played for our u20s but I think Nigeria tried to call him up to the main team already as well. 

20 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Agreed.

I think it’s basically between us and Nigeria, England have James Trafford as well who was just sold to Burnley from the Man City academy after winning the UEFA u21 Championship (and that’s behind Pickford, Ramsdale etc). Not sure of Nigeria’s keeper options.

He’s played for our u20s but I think Nigeria tried to call him up to the main team already as well. 

Nigeria hasn't had a lot since Enyeama.  The only one I have heard of is Maduka Okoye who Watford bought a bit ago. But has been mostly on loan I think.

2 hours ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Agreed.

The reality is that he’s likely years away from being good enough for an England callup, I would hope he believes that we can be better than Nigeria in time. (5-7 years from now this could happen) Our GK is wide open even if we get Onduze.

as for my bold claim, I think 5 years from now we will have found our next 2 Kone’s a couple of Center backs and have a few promising kids on the way. 

But seriously I think we will seen an explosion of talent sooner than later.

9 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

In your theoretical depth chart, or someone else's, how many England U21s are ahead of him (keepers that are 2002 and younger)?

I don't know that many but 4 that were picked for the two tournaments this summer are 2002s or later.

The starting keeper for the u21 Euros -James Trafford.

And the three keepers for the U20 World Cup

James Beadle, Matthew Cox, and Teddy Sharman-Lowe.

Probably also Whitford who has been called up to the u19s is a similar age to Goodman.

Keeper is one position where unless you are #1 or #2, it's unlikely you're going to see the field. Keepers also seem to have better durability and play well into their mid 30s. So whether it's Goodman or Odunze it's a more difficult path to get onto the  England senior squad. 

3 hours ago, yomurphy1 said:

I'm not positive on him. 

There's some close relationship between his parents and Kanu. They set up a corporation and academy circa 2016 in Alliston so I imagine that's a significant pull.

https://www.completesports.com/kanu-unveils-canada-residential-soccer-camp/  

Definitely more worried about Nigeria than England for him

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I am reading too much into his "any international call-ups" at the end, right? (Question starts about 1:50)

Definitely not reading too much into it for me (red tinted glasses and all). Could’ve limited himself to that U21 team or England but seems intentional to say “any international call-ups”

52 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Goodman turned down Nigeria earlier this year because apparently they asked him to pay for his own travel there:

https://scorenigeria.com.ng/crystal-palace-goalkeeper-owen-goodman-shuns-flying-eagles/

competitively, those AC Rouge seats in economy lite are luxurious!

Somewhat ironic that a team called the Flying Eagles can’t afford the airfare.

• 2 weeks later...