Binky

The Road to Qatar.

20 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

The deadline for the final 2022 World Cup qualification place for Concacaf is not until March 2022 when the final qualifying Concacaf team would face a challenger from Oceania in the intercontinental play-off.

“At the moment we would be unlikely to have to move that as there is enough flex (in the calendar) between now and end 2021 to get a qualification schedule played and keep everybody to that date,” said Montagliani. “If we start September and end October 2021 we have November for our play off to decide who goes forward to face the OFC challenger.”

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2020/04/16/concacafs-montagliani-says-nations-league-will-finish-2022-qualifiers-need-re-jig/

Has the inter-confederation playoff opponents been confirmed anywhere else? It sounds to me that this might be a misquote / misinterpretation, because I don't think the draw has been held yet. Would absolutely love it if true, but as a CanMNT fan I'm conditioned to expect the worst.

1 hour ago, maplebanana said:

Has the inter-confederation playoff opponents been confirmed anywhere else? It sounds to me that this might be a misquote / misinterpretation, because I don't think the draw has been held yet. Would absolutely love it if true, but as a CanMNT fan I'm conditioned to expect the worst.

That is assuming there is going to be a draw.

It was supposed to happen in July of last year in Qatar at the official FIFA World Cup Qualifying Draw that quietly disappeared from the calendar without a trace or announcement.  

Things that seemed routine before at FIFA are being turned on their head under Infantino without much formal communication.  The Confederations Cup similarly just disappeared without an announcement.

It's important to remember that we have only had draws for the Intercontinental playoff for the 2014 and 2018 World Cups.  In all prior World Cups, the match-ups were predetermined and/or negotiated.  This could just be a return to that.

Looking at this through the lens of FIFA politics, Asia is getting an extra berth by virtue of Qatar hosting so making their half spot face the CONMEBOL gauntlet seems like the fairest compromise.  

14 hours ago, neuker said:

Yes, look at page 2 of the calendar.  The draw scheduled for July never happened. 

The wikipedia entry claims "the draw will be held at a later date" but the linked source is the same FIFA calendar which does not say that.  The "later date" entry is just an assumption.

11 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

The wikipedia entry claims "the draw will be held at a later date" ...

The idea that it would be a draw in the first place was an assumption by the wikipedia author. The two previous qualifying cycles had draws but nothing was ever officially announced by FIFA for 2022.

12 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The idea that it would be a draw in the first place was an assumption by the wikipedia author. The two previous qualifying cycles had draws but nothing was ever officially announced by FIFA for 2022.

Precisely what I wrote at the end of the paragraph you edited.

16 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Precisely what I wrote at the end of the paragraph you edited.

I was just reaffirming (adding weight) to your theory at the end of the paragraph. :)

...by stating that the Wikipedia author did not have an authoritative source for that info and was simply making an assumption based on the previous qualifying cycles.

Apologies for the lack of clarity.

Posted (edited)

Possibility of three-match international windows

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8242905/England-face-international-break-triple-headers-season.html

Edit: Important to note that even UEFA is insisting the Nations League will take place even if they have to squeeze it in.  I think it's easy for most observers to say "just cancel it".  For both CONCACAF and UEFA, the TV rights and sponsorship have already been sold so they desperately want to avoid giving money back.

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

On 4/16/2020 at 4:58 PM, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Potential bombshell alert!!!  Vic just said CONCACAF is facing Oceania in the intercontinental playoff.  If this was known all along then it would make the format appear slightly less insane.

“I think we will be looking at other models for qualifying,” he said. “The FIFA rankings in June were going to decide the qualifiers but we will have lost 104 games in that March to June period. A lot of nations were planning friendlies to try and pushes their FIFA rankings but we will have to look at reformatting qualification. There is a hint of sporting integrity in this.”

The deadline for the final 2022 World Cup qualification place for Concacaf is not until March 2022 when the final qualifying Concacaf team would face a challenger from Oceania in the intercontinental play-off.

“At the moment we would be unlikely to have to move that as there is enough flex (in the calendar) between now and end 2021 to get a qualification schedule played and keep everybody to that date,” said Montagliani. “If we start September and end October 2021 we have November for our play off to decide who goes forward to face the OFC challenger.”

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2020/04/16/concacafs-montagliani-says-nations-league-will-finish-2022-qualifiers-need-re-jig/

One of the rare good news in these days.  Ignited my weak hope again.....

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, canadafan101 said:

^ yeah, but we have to beat all of them. Even if you think we have a 70% chance of winning each round, which we don't, that gives us 25% chance of making the world cup

You know we're playing sports not doing some kinda weird simulation right? So if Spain played the same format and you gave them 90% chance of winning reach round, then carry the 1, move the decimal point divide by 4 and then subtract common sense it would leave a 60% chance the next world cup champions will be Czechoslovakia 

Edited by SpursFlu

9 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Imagine if someone said you can make the world cup by beating, Guatemala, Panama, Jamaica & New Zealand. Who wouldn't take that?

Its actually almost too easy. If your looking at it from a respect standpoint 

I remember the last time we had to fight with Panama for advancement. We lost in Panama and ultimately finished a point behind them. We can’t take them lightly or any of the teams in your list.

On 4/20/2020 at 4:55 AM, neuker said:

1) FIFA document updated October 2018 (In effect during July 2019):

https://web.archive.org/web/20190105145356/https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/international-match-calendar-2018-2024.pdf?cloudid=p3ywicffz0zxeaomaajh

2) FIFA document updated October 2019: (In effect after July 2019):

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/international-match-calendar-2018-2024-x4858.pdf?cloudid=ntmrkopxx2iutr05pxbc

In other words the Wikipedia author was correct. He or she did not make an assumption. At the time, July 2019, it was based on an authoritative source, FIFA!

Now I'll make the assumption that FIFA updated the October 2018 document because it was necessary to cover up Victor Montagliani negligence in not reading the fine print of the FIFA rules before coming up with the new CONCACAF format that wasn't based on the FIFA-Coca-Cola rankings.

Well done.

I stand corrected.

giphy.gif

12 minutes ago, Kent said:

I remember the last time we had to fight with Panama for advancement. We lost in Panama and ultimately finished a point behind them. We can’t take them lightly or any of the teams in your list.

Agreed.  I think we have the talent to win, but are still learning to win those hard and much needed points at vital times.  I think Herdman has toughened us mentally, but we have a long way to go compared to some of those teams 

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Or the time we only needed to beat Jamaica to get to gold cup semi-final, or just finish off haiti to advance in gold cup, or just get a tie in Honduras.....we've all seen it happen too many times to take anything for granted.  And the collapse against haiti was with our supposed "mentally tougher" Herdman coached squad.  I sure hope that the rapid progression of Davies and David will put us out of reach,  so some fluke or brainfart wont will sink us.  

To be exact, the potential reform of the Hex format plus the playoff vs OFC would give me a dream 4 times bigger than I have had previously. 

7 hours ago, neuker said:

Huh?

The last game Davies played for Canada, in the Nations League, was a 1-4 loss against the United States. The last game Davies played for Bayern, in the Campions League, was a 3-0 victory against the Chelsea. Maybe the 10 players lining up with Davies had something to do with his rapid progression. 

Borjan   Neuer
  Laryea   Pavard
  Vitoria   Alcantara
  Piette   Lewandowski
  Arfield   Boateng
  Kaye   Gnabry
  Henry   Muller
  Cavallini   Alaba
  David   Coman
  Osorio   Kimmich

Heck, I'm inclined to think that even your game would progress rapidly if you switched from Canada to Bayern, don't you?

That's only the Bayern first team.  Could you please also include the reserve team, youth team names along with their full bios, favourite colours, superstitions, marriage status etc. We need to see the full picture.  Thanks in advance

9 hours ago, neuker said:

Huh?

The last game Davies played for Canada, in the Nations League, was a 1-4 loss against the United States. The last game Davies played for Bayern, in the Campions League, was a 3-0 victory against the Chelsea. Maybe the 10 players lining up with Davies had something to do with his rapid progression. 

Heck, I'm inclined to think that even your game would progress rapidly if you switched from Canada to Bayern, don't you?

Are you being serious? Plenty of youngsters get thrown into the deep end with the first team and look so lost, so out of place its actually sad.  How many can pick up a new system and raise their game so that they are actually making more of an impact in the higher league than they did before??  Now if you said coaching played a big part I would agree with you.  

On 4/22/2020 at 10:59 AM, SpursFlu said:

Imagine if someone said you can make the world cup by beating, Guatemala, Panama, Jamaica & New Zealand. Who wouldn't take that?

Its actually almost too easy. If your looking at it from a respect standpoint 

On 4/22/2020 at 12:11 PM, canadafan101 said:

^ yeah, but we have to beat all of them. Even if you think we have a 70% chance of winning each round, which we don't, that gives us 25% chance of making the world cup

You know they say that all teams are created equal, but you look at Canada and you look at Guatemala, Panama, Jamaica and New Zealand and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another team, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But Canada's got Davies, a genetic freak and he's not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat Canada. Then you add Panama to the mix, their chances of winning drastic go down. See in World Cup qualifying, they got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but Canada has a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning, because Guatemala KNOWS they can't beat Canada and they're not even gonna try!
So Guatemala takes their 33 1/3 chance, minus Canada's 25% chance and they got an 8 1/3 chance of qualifying. But then you take Canada's 75% chance of winning, if we was to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, Canada has 141 2/3 chance of qualifying. See Guatemala, Panama, Jamaica, New Zealand, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you in qualifying.

21 minutes ago, neuker said:

Do you seriously think Flick is better than Herdman?

Yup. He’s a pretty good manager

21 minutes ago, neuker said:

Youngsters (for argument sake, lets say 19 and 20-year olds) moving to elite European clubs for these kind of transfer fees are already the REAL DEAL. Their ball-handling, speed, strength and endurance do not progress that rapidly a few months after joining such a club. They are world-class players already. In today's market, Bayern got the rights to Alphonso Davies for a bargain-basement price from the Whitecaps, who are obviously out of their league negotiating at this level. Had a 19-year old Davies come out of the Ajax system, like a 20-year old Matthijs de Ligt did, the amount of money changing hands would have been at least 4 times higher. Just imagine how much Real or Barca would have to offer Bayern today to even consider letting Davies go? Alphonso hasn't progressed that rapidly in less than a year's time. The Whitecaps just didn't have a clue as to his real worth on the European market!

July 2018 is when the deal with bayern was done, almost 2 years ago, not a "few months, or "less than a year".  So at least try to get some facts correct eh?  But lets just say I doubt the big clubs look at a prospect from MLS as being a "cant miss" target as they do from other leagues or teams like Ajax.  MLS doesnt have the rep for producing world class talent like other leagues, that might change a bit now that Davies has proven to be the real deal.  And what player at 17-20 is a finished product??  Davies was the real deal, but most players dont peak as teenagers do they??    I dont even know what you are getting at here?  Are u saying Davies is exactly the same player he was 2 years ago or are you saying Whitecaps should have got more in transfer fees??  What am I even arguing with you for, werent you banned over and over??  

On 4/15/2020 at 4:11 PM, SpursFlu said:

1) Why does anyone listen to Sepp Blatter? He was ousted in disgrace.

2) Why is holding in the same region back to back such a problem in unprecedented circumstances but holding it in USA (same COUNTRY) not. ($ is the answer but you all knew that)

3) Still want it to happen. 

10 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

1) Why does anyone listen to Sepp Blatter? He was ousted in disgrace.

2) Why is holding in the same region back to back such a problem in unprecedented circumstances but holding it in USA (same COUNTRY) not. ($ is the answer but you all knew that)

3) Still want it to happen. 

Maybe a good way to not get thrown in jail is to take the World Cup away from Qatar. I'm only half kidding. But I only posted because its interesting and wouldn't be the strangest thing to happen recently