Binky

The Road to Qatar.

Posted (edited)

32 minutes ago, neuker said:

That depends on your definition of peaking. Is it competing and scoring in the UEFA Champions League?

Arsenal has had 3 teenagers who did that:

17 years 218 days: Cesc Fàbregas (Arsenal 5-1 Rosenborg, 07/12/04)
17 years 300 days: Aaron Ramsey (Fenerbahçe 2-5 Arsenal, 21/10/08)
18 years 44 days: Alex Oxlade-Chambelain (Arsenal 2-1 Olympiacos, 28/09/11)

Is it competing and scoring in a World Cup Final?

17 years 249 days: Pele (Brazil 5-2 Sweden, 29/06/58)
19 years 181 days: Mbappe (France 4-2 Croatia, 15/07/18)

How old were you when you peaked?

Peaking is when you are at your best. I’m 96 years old and haven’t peaked yet. I’m running an ultra this weekend in Patagonia. 

Edited by Alex
I’m old as dirt, sue me

Posted (edited)

Relevant part begins  at 47:30

He says "on the balance of probabilities" the hex will be changed to "something bigger".  No mention or clarification of the intercontinental playoff opponent.

He also mentions he never wanted the hex, it was pushed by his "members" a.k.a. USA and Mexico.  Sounds like a political battle he lost. 

I recommend listening to the whole interview.  Great stuff on the CSA, CanPL, CONCACAF, and even drops a bomb that the CCL is expanding

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

27 minutes ago, neuker said:

Oh Good. Mt. Vic's latest format - Take-3.

The world awaits with bated breath.

Good thing it's not August yet. There still time for more Takes.

What’s with your constant hate for Vic anyway?   He’s a hundred times better than the guy that came before him and placed Canada in an positive direction, but to hear you tell it, he can’t do anything right.  Why?

Under Dominic Maestracci and even with prior presidents to that there seemed to be a great lack vision and leadership.  There seemed to be constant division with CSA and provinces, Canadian players, and with Canadian fans.  There were a lot of players prior to Vic that never seemed to be enthusiastic about representing Canada.  Under Vic there seemed to be a clear direction of where the program was going.  Players have also seemed to be more enthusiastic about playing for Canada.  I could be wrong.  I started cheering for the Canadian team as an 18 year old in 2000 and this is what I have gathered.  I just want to hear what he has or hasn’t done that you think he could have done better.

Just looking for excuses for his awful format..and now he gets exposed even more as he has to change it with this situation..question now is does he learn and come up with something better or does he find a way to make it even worse

5 hours ago, Weng said:

What’s with your constant hate for Vic anyway?   He’s a hundred times better than the guy that came before him and placed Canada in an positive direction, but to hear you tell it, he can’t do anything right.  Why?

Check who finished dead last in the election when Vic became CSA President. 😄 

Canada as it stands are not even in position to make the Hex but that's only due to World rankings right now, since technically speaking Canada is in 7th in CONCACAF rankings. If they were in 6th, then if they were in the Hex, Canada would probably have as good a chance to get to Qatar. But since they are not, I mean they have an even harder path now to get to Qatar. So that being said, does that path mean winning a confederation playoff or something? I don't know how it all works especially now that the 2020-21 CONCACAF Nations League is being postponed because of COVID-19 

16 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

After hearing Vics comments I'm putting my money on 2 groups of 5. 

For all the people who are really on top of it. How many windows are we potentially looking at?

If that is the case, then that is an interesting format if it is to be believed 

33 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

After hearing Vics comments I'm putting my money on 2 groups of 5. 

If it’s that I could see the winners of the group qualifying and the runners up playing each other, with the loser having to play New Zealand or whoever. 

I’m sure Mexico and the US would be in different groups. Would still be a tough format but I’d take it. 

2 minutes ago, Bdog said:

If it’s that I could see the winners of the group qualifying and the runners up playing each other, with the loser having to play New Zealand or whoever. 

I’m sure Mexico and the US would be in different groups. Would still be a tough format but I’d take it. 

This is probably the best format for CONCACAF qualifying especially going forward for future World Cups but then come 2026 when it is in our own backyard here in Canada when we host, then you are gonna have to change the format all over again

51 minutes ago, Bdog said:

Agreed.

Here is what 2 groups of 5 may look like:

Mexico, Jamaica, Honduras, Curacao, Panama

USA, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Canada, Haiti

Like you said, still tough, but doable. I think we can take points off all of those teams. We always seem to punch above our weight against Costa Rica and the team should feel they have something to prove against USA and Haiti, due to the recent loses that could of (should of) gone differently. Hell, they should even feel they have something to prove against El Salvador, what with the whole chasing ranking points and all. 

I didn't cherry pick the groups, I just alternated 1 through 8 based on FIFA rankings, but it does set up nicely for us. 

53 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

This is probably the best format for CONCACAF qualifying especially going forward for future World Cups but then come 2026 when it is in our own backyard here in Canada when we host, then you are gonna have to change the format all over again

Given the current climate, I don't think implementing a system that can be used for cycles to come is top priority.

If we can somehow land in the group with US, that would be glorious.

19 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Given the current climate, I don't think implementing a system that can be used for cycles to come is top priority.

If we can somehow land in the group with US, that would be glorious.

Yeah I get that and there is the added caveat that we did beat them in Nations League but can we do it again

21 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Agreed.

Like you said, still tough, but doable. I think we can take points off all of those teams. We always seem to punch above our weight against Costa Rica and the team should feel they have something to prove against USA and Haiti, due to the recent loses that could of (should of) gone differently. Hell, they should even feel they have something to prove against El Salvador, what with the whole chasing ranking points and all. 

I didn't cherry pick the groups, I just alternated 1 through 8 based on FIFA rankings, but it does set up nicely for us. 

Groups of 5 are bad for many reasons. Might as well go to 6.

Has to be an even number of teams in the groups so the final matches can all be played at the same time. You don't want two teams going into their final match  after everyone else knowing they both only need a tie to go through.

28 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Agreed.

In that group of 5 Canada would be able to take points probably off of USA, El Salvador and maybe Haiti but Costa Rica that would be the toughest test if anything.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Groups of 5 are bad for many reasons. Might as well go to 6.

For the record I think 2 groups of 4 is more probable.

In that case we are perhaps looking at:

Mexico, Jamaica, Honduras, Curacao 

USA, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Canada

Edited by Obinna

Just now, xabuep2 said:

Exactly. Too many matches. The idea is to reduce the numbers of games. Check this interesting article about Concacaf potencial formats: https://canpl.ca/article/concacaf-world-cup-qualifying-potential-condensed-formats-to-consider

It would reduce the number of games, but not enough in my opinion.