The Road to Qatar.

Binky

7 hours ago, neuker said:

Huh?

The last game Davies played for Canada, in the Nations League, was a 1-4 loss against the United States. The last game Davies played for Bayern, in the Campions League, was a 3-0 victory against the Chelsea. Maybe the 10 players lining up with Davies had something to do with his rapid progression. 

Borjan   Neuer
  Laryea   Pavard
  Vitoria   Alcantara
  Piette   Lewandowski
  Arfield   Boateng
  Kaye   Gnabry
  Henry   Muller
  Cavallini   Alaba
  David   Coman
  Osorio   Kimmich

Heck, I'm inclined to think that even your game would progress rapidly if you switched from Canada to Bayern, don't you?

That's only the Bayern first team.  Could you please also include the reserve team, youth team names along with their full bios, favourite colours, superstitions, marriage status etc. We need to see the full picture.  Thanks in advance

9 hours ago, neuker said:

Huh?

The last game Davies played for Canada, in the Nations League, was a 1-4 loss against the United States. The last game Davies played for Bayern, in the Campions League, was a 3-0 victory against the Chelsea. Maybe the 10 players lining up with Davies had something to do with his rapid progression. 

Heck, I'm inclined to think that even your game would progress rapidly if you switched from Canada to Bayern, don't you?

Are you being serious? Plenty of youngsters get thrown into the deep end with the first team and look so lost, so out of place its actually sad.  How many can pick up a new system and raise their game so that they are actually making more of an impact in the higher league than they did before??  Now if you said coaching played a big part I would agree with you.  

On 4/22/2020 at 10:59 AM, SpursFlu said:

Imagine if someone said you can make the world cup by beating, Guatemala, Panama, Jamaica & New Zealand. Who wouldn't take that?

Its actually almost too easy. If your looking at it from a respect standpoint 

On 4/22/2020 at 12:11 PM, canadafan101 said:

^ yeah, but we have to beat all of them. Even if you think we have a 70% chance of winning each round, which we don't, that gives us 25% chance of making the world cup

You know they say that all teams are created equal, but you look at Canada and you look at Guatemala, Panama, Jamaica and New Zealand and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another team, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But Canada's got Davies, a genetic freak and he's not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat Canada. Then you add Panama to the mix, their chances of winning drastic go down. See in World Cup qualifying, they got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but Canada has a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning, because Guatemala KNOWS they can't beat Canada and they're not even gonna try!
So Guatemala takes their 33 1/3 chance, minus Canada's 25% chance and they got an 8 1/3 chance of qualifying. But then you take Canada's 75% chance of winning, if we was to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, Canada has 141 2/3 chance of qualifying. See Guatemala, Panama, Jamaica, New Zealand, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you in qualifying.

21 minutes ago, neuker said:

Youngsters (for argument sake, lets say 19 and 20-year olds) moving to elite European clubs for these kind of transfer fees are already the REAL DEAL. Their ball-handling, speed, strength and endurance do not progress that rapidly a few months after joining such a club. They are world-class players already. In today's market, Bayern got the rights to Alphonso Davies for a bargain-basement price from the Whitecaps, who are obviously out of their league negotiating at this level. Had a 19-year old Davies come out of the Ajax system, like a 20-year old Matthijs de Ligt did, the amount of money changing hands would have been at least 4 times higher. Just imagine how much Real or Barca would have to offer Bayern today to even consider letting Davies go? Alphonso hasn't progressed that rapidly in less than a year's time. The Whitecaps just didn't have a clue as to his real worth on the European market!

July 2018 is when the deal with bayern was done, almost 2 years ago, not a "few months, or "less than a year".  So at least try to get some facts correct eh?  But lets just say I doubt the big clubs look at a prospect from MLS as being a "cant miss" target as they do from other leagues or teams like Ajax.  MLS doesnt have the rep for producing world class talent like other leagues, that might change a bit now that Davies has proven to be the real deal.  And what player at 17-20 is a finished product??  Davies was the real deal, but most players dont peak as teenagers do they??    I dont even know what you are getting at here?  Are u saying Davies is exactly the same player he was 2 years ago or are you saying Whitecaps should have got more in transfer fees??  What am I even arguing with you for, werent you banned over and over??  

On 4/15/2020 at 4:11 PM, SpursFlu said:

1) Why does anyone listen to Sepp Blatter? He was ousted in disgrace.

2) Why is holding in the same region back to back such a problem in unprecedented circumstances but holding it in USA (same COUNTRY) not. ($ is the answer but you all knew that)

3) Still want it to happen. 

10 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

1) Why does anyone listen to Sepp Blatter? He was ousted in disgrace.

2) Why is holding in the same region back to back such a problem in unprecedented circumstances but holding it in USA (same COUNTRY) not. ($ is the answer but you all knew that)

3) Still want it to happen. 

Maybe a good way to not get thrown in jail is to take the World Cup away from Qatar. I'm only half kidding. But I only posted because its interesting and wouldn't be the strangest thing to happen recently 

32 minutes ago, neuker said:

That depends on your definition of peaking. Is it competing and scoring in the UEFA Champions League?

Arsenal has had 3 teenagers who did that:

17 years 218 days: Cesc Fàbregas (Arsenal 5-1 Rosenborg, 07/12/04)
17 years 300 days: Aaron Ramsey (Fenerbahçe 2-5 Arsenal, 21/10/08)
18 years 44 days: Alex Oxlade-Chambelain (Arsenal 2-1 Olympiacos, 28/09/11)

Is it competing and scoring in a World Cup Final?

17 years 249 days: Pele (Brazil 5-2 Sweden, 29/06/58)
19 years 181 days: Mbappe (France 4-2 Croatia, 15/07/18)

How old were you when you peaked?

Peaking is when you are at your best. I’m 96 years old and haven’t peaked yet. I’m running an ultra this weekend in Patagonia. 

Edited by Alex
I’m old as dirt, sue me

• 2 weeks later...

Relevant part begins  at 47:30

He says "on the balance of probabilities" the hex will be changed to "something bigger".  No mention or clarification of the intercontinental playoff opponent.

He also mentions he never wanted the hex, it was pushed by his "members" a.k.a. USA and Mexico.  Sounds like a political battle he lost. 

I recommend listening to the whole interview.  Great stuff on the CSA, CanPL, CONCACAF, and even drops a bomb that the CCL is expanding

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

27 minutes ago, neuker said:

Oh Good. Mt. Vic's latest format - Take-3.

The world awaits with bated breath.

Good thing it's not August yet. There still time for more Takes.

What’s with your constant hate for Vic anyway?   He’s a hundred times better than the guy that came before him and placed Canada in an positive direction, but to hear you tell it, he can’t do anything right.  Why?

Under Dominic Maestracci and even with prior presidents to that there seemed to be a great lack vision and leadership.  There seemed to be constant division with CSA and provinces, Canadian players, and with Canadian fans.  There were a lot of players prior to Vic that never seemed to be enthusiastic about representing Canada.  Under Vic there seemed to be a clear direction of where the program was going.  Players have also seemed to be more enthusiastic about playing for Canada.  I could be wrong.  I started cheering for the Canadian team as an 18 year old in 2000 and this is what I have gathered.  I just want to hear what he has or hasn’t done that you think he could have done better.

Just looking for excuses for his awful format..and now he gets exposed even more as he has to change it with this situation..question now is does he learn and come up with something better or does he find a way to make it even worse

5 hours ago, Weng said:

What’s with your constant hate for Vic anyway?   He’s a hundred times better than the guy that came before him and placed Canada in an positive direction, but to hear you tell it, he can’t do anything right.  Why?

Check who finished dead last in the election when Vic became CSA President. 😄 

Canada as it stands are not even in position to make the Hex but that's only due to World rankings right now, since technically speaking Canada is in 7th in CONCACAF rankings. If they were in 6th, then if they were in the Hex, Canada would probably have as good a chance to get to Qatar. But since they are not, I mean they have an even harder path now to get to Qatar. So that being said, does that path mean winning a confederation playoff or something? I don't know how it all works especially now that the 2020-21 CONCACAF Nations League is being postponed because of COVID-19 

16 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

After hearing Vics comments I'm putting my money on 2 groups of 5. 

For all the people who are really on top of it. How many windows are we potentially looking at?

If that is the case, then that is an interesting format if it is to be believed 

33 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

After hearing Vics comments I'm putting my money on 2 groups of 5. 

If it’s that I could see the winners of the group qualifying and the runners up playing each other, with the loser having to play New Zealand or whoever. 

I’m sure Mexico and the US would be in different groups. Would still be a tough format but I’d take it. 

2 minutes ago, Bdog said:

If it’s that I could see the winners of the group qualifying and the runners up playing each other, with the loser having to play New Zealand or whoever. 

I’m sure Mexico and the US would be in different groups. Would still be a tough format but I’d take it. 

This is probably the best format for CONCACAF qualifying especially going forward for future World Cups but then come 2026 when it is in our own backyard here in Canada when we host, then you are gonna have to change the format all over again

51 minutes ago, Bdog said:

Agreed.

Here is what 2 groups of 5 may look like:

Mexico, Jamaica, Honduras, Curacao, Panama

USA, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Canada, Haiti

Like you said, still tough, but doable. I think we can take points off all of those teams. We always seem to punch above our weight against Costa Rica and the team should feel they have something to prove against USA and Haiti, due to the recent loses that could of (should of) gone differently. Hell, they should even feel they have something to prove against El Salvador, what with the whole chasing ranking points and all. 

I didn't cherry pick the groups, I just alternated 1 through 8 based on FIFA rankings, but it does set up nicely for us. 

53 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

This is probably the best format for CONCACAF qualifying especially going forward for future World Cups but then come 2026 when it is in our own backyard here in Canada when we host, then you are gonna have to change the format all over again

Given the current climate, I don't think implementing a system that can be used for cycles to come is top priority.

If we can somehow land in the group with US, that would be glorious.

• Admin locked this topic