Binky

The Road to Qatar.

45 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

If we don’t make the Hex and have to play the minnows then David and Cavalini will probably both be top 4 in Men’s scoring at the end of this qualifying period.

Also even though its limited points pickup, 12 straight qualifying wins would bump us up into the top 50 Fifa rankings probably.  

I very much doubt we'll win every game though. There will more than likely be rough games in central America. We may be better but central America is always going to be tough. 

2 minutes ago, JuicyHam said:

I very much doubt we'll win every game though. There will more than likely be rough games in central America. We may be better but central America is always going to be tough. 

The tough Central American teams are all in the Hex already.  The 7-35 is pretty easy except Haiti.

I know the history, but honestly with the player pool we have, we have to become a team that isn’t worried about going into some bumpy Central American pitch and getting a result.  We have the talent to power through these teams under pretty much all circumstances - we just need to consistently execute. 

Posted (edited)

I think the final 4 of the play in would be interesting. It's just the group stage and everything leading up to it will be terrible and dreadful from a marketing perspective. Also if there are any dual nationals out there considering Canada, playing American Virgin Islands on a cricket pitch won't help

Edited by SpursFlu

Posted (edited)

A few things:

4 hours ago, Alex said:

Are we certain that the 7-35 path will be broken down like this? I’m sure it is and you’re right, I just haven’t seen the evidence.

They explain it here: http://www.concacaf.com/world-cup-qualifying-men/article/concacaf-announces-format-for-the-2022-fifa-world-cup-confederation-qualifiers

They don't explicitly say they will divide the teams this way but it is the only logical way if, as they say, Groups A, B, C, D & E will have 4 teams and F, G & H will have 3 teams:
-Rank 7 to 14 drawn into groups A to H
-Rank 15 to 22 drawn into groups A to H
-Rank 23 to 30 drawn into groups A to H
-Rank 31 to 35 drawn into groups A to E

3 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Jonathan David will have like 100 international goals by age 22 if we progress through this back door route....

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

If we don’t make the Hex and have to play the minnows...

As much fun as this is to imagine, being in Group F, G or H would be ideal because those bottom teams are a waste of time and energy. The 30th ranked team, the Bahamas can't drop points this month since they play French Guiana twice in Gold Cup Qualifying.
This means the bottom 5 teams are a lock:
Aruba 867 (not good, but not a terrible team)
Turks & Caicos 862 (awful)
USVI 844 (awful)
B VI 842 (awful)
Anguilla 821 (awful)

Especially with a coronavirus that could keep crowds away and make travel difficult, playing one of those teams would be entirely unnecessary.
A lot of CSA money down the drain. Very little enthusiasm for the casual fan. Small crowds, but forced to play in a bigger stadium that complies with FIFA/CONCACAF standards. No thanks.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know the history, but honestly with the player pool we have...

Our player pool doesn't have much depth. We are still a few injuries away from disaster.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Especially with a coronavirus that could keep crowds away and make travel difficult, playing one of those teams would be entirely unnecessary.
A lot of CSA money down the drain. Very little enthusiasm for the casual fan. Small crowds, but forced to play in a bigger stadium that complies with FIFA/CONCACAF standards. No thanks.

I think with the coronavirus, the more likely scenario by the day is that the March friendly matches get cancelled and perhaps even FIFA closes the window.  I dont see federations taking the risk of flying players in from all over the world to play such matches. It would suck for us but the Road to Qatar may be seriously clogged by the virus 

Jerry Bengston the Canadian killer strikes again vs Montreal yesterday. Anyone who thinks our "superior talent"  makes us top 3/4 in Concacaf should watch a replay of last night's game. Honduras know how to win with less talent, work the ref and are made of glass when ahead....nothing has changed in 20 years! We need to learn to "play the Concacaf game". Playing on cow pastures with incompetent refs makes every game away a risky affair. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Jerry Bengston the Canadian killer strikes again vs Montreal yesterday. Anyone who thinks our "superior talent"  makes us top 3/4 in Concacaf should watch a replay of last night's game. Honduras know how to win with less talent, work the ref and are made of glass when ahead....nothing has changed in 20 years! We need to learn to "play the Concacaf game". Playing on cow pastures with incompetent refs makes every game away a risky affair. 

Good points, however the cow pasture you're mocking is infinitely better than the turf at the Big O.  Probably better than most synthetic turfs actually.

Watch us not make the hex just from all the games being cancelled.

A playoff against El Salvador for the final spot would be the only fair solution. ;) It would piss them off but at least we’d CONCACAF someone for once. 

The fairest thing would be to put Canada - El Salvador to play for a spot in the hex. Because of the Covid-19 situation, the friendly matches are cancelled and FIFA ranking is stagnant. The CSA could take advantage of this situation and request it to CONCACAF. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, xabuep2 said:

The fairest thing would be to put Canada - El Salvador to play for a spot in the hex. Because of the Covid-19 situation, the friendly matches are cancelled and FIFA ranking is stagnant. The CSA could take advantage of this situation and request it to CONCACAF. 

I love the idea but are we the only country mathematically with a chance?

If Panama and Curacao are mathematically within striking distance it would be unfair to leave them out.

Four team tournament in June? Host rights go to El Salvador for currently occupying the final Hex spot.

Of course, if Canada was in 6th and other teams claimed this virus robbed them of a chance, my attitude would be: go kick rocks with your "what ifs". 

Edited by Obinna

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I love the idea but are we the only country mathematically with a chance?

The frustrating about this format is that is the -  mathematically in with a theoretical chance - is so wildly broad.

Us or anyone could in theory secure a game  or two with Belgium and win or play a month of two a week friendlies in a theoretical summer with a C or D team.

All unlikely but not completely impossible.

Not sure if we want to be "those guys" but I would think there would but some basis for a legal challenge considering the change of format, the broadness of the mathematics and these unforseen circumstances.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

The frustrating about this format is that is the -  mathematically in with a theoretical chance - is so wildly broad.

Us or anyone could in theory secure a game  or two with Belgium and win or play a month of two a week friendlies in a theoretical summer with a C or D team.

All unlikely but not completely impossible.

Not sure if we want to be "those guys" but I would think there would but some basis for a legal challenge considering the change of format, the broadness of the mathematics and these unforseen circumstances.

Yeah, frustrating for sure.

I noticed that FIFA are now recommending that games in the March and April window be cancelled. 

If they outright banned all international matches it could perhaps strengthen our case. If we need hex points, but fifa shuts down games, then we are being denied a chance, we could argue. It is still a weak argument though, since it's Canada's fault for not having enough points to begin with. Nobody to blame but ourselves.

Just a ****** situation all around.

All we can do now is build a new narrative. Be the team who defies all the odds to qualify in the most epic way possible. Massive challenge, but we have the team to do it, I firmly believe.

Edited by Obinna

I would've hope that the CSA would've at least pursued the option of lobbying FIFA to use Concacaf rankings.... But they didn't and here we are! 

The point everyone is forgetting, our chance at qualifying to the WC is still there, it's just not what we want.... So on what logic does our arguments make sense? Because everything is hypothetical! What is, what if, what if. 

Covid affected everyone, not just us. El Salvador can be like it didn't give us an opportunity to pull away.