Binky

The Road to Qatar.

33 minutes ago, T.I.O.R. said:

Considering that one window has already been disrupted, and the fact that there does not appear to be no immediate end in sight for the virus causing that disruption, it seems quite reasonable to discuss contingency plans for possible further disruptions come June and September.

Worst case scenario, like the Tokyo Olympics there comes a date when you have to cancel events. In this particular case it will be determining who gets to play in the HEX.

Yes but until the September window is cancelled. They are still 2 completely different things. Just sticking with facts

8 hours ago, T.I.O.R. said:

In light of the Covid 19 pandemic, the Japanese Government continues to insist that the Tokyo Olympics will go ahead as planned, This, despite despite the fact that the Canadian Olympic Committeee and other national committees have issued statements that they are refusing to send over teams this July.

Instead of hanging on to the slim hope of hosting the Olympics this summer, would it not have been advisable for Japanese officials to have made an announcement two weeks ago that the games would not be held this summer and presented alternative time frames for hosting a postponed Olympics? Maybe there's a lesson in this for CONCACAF. Like taking proactive steps with regard to alternative formats for the CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers!

This is no time to take a wait and see approach. There are only so many international windows between now and the day FIFA is going to hold the World Cup Final draw. And, already there are 6,000 fans who aren't going to a game at Westhills this Friday!

Based on recent CONCACAF history, you can't spring a last-minute format on 35 nations. The time has come for CONCACAF to demonstrate sound and transparent leadership! What will the format look like if soccer resumes on X date, or Y date, or Z date?

Sigh. I feel like we've done this before.

You post an essay, which essentially boils down to a question that usually has already been answered on this board or is easily googleable. Next, someone obliges and answers your question.

In this case, Japan is going to postpone the games and are currently playing chicken with the IOC to see who will have to pay for the expenses. As to your other point, you want CONCACAF to announce a new format when all of its members are currently quarantined from each other with no timeline on when that will be lifted, but is best case scenario months away, sure makes sense.

Then, you respond to everyone that responds to you, thus making it so that every other post in this thread is you.

Finally, 2 weeks later, @admin bans you for your past verbal abuses.

It should be very clear by now that there won't be enough space in the calendar for the 7-35 tournament (or Hex) to run as scheduled. It's also very likely that FIFA windows will be reduced to play postponed league matches. This isn't business as usual guys. Expect some massive scheduling compression - which may help us or further hurt us - but it's pointless to even try to change things up now until the health situation becomes clearer.

I don’t really see how a compressed format would help us in any way. If anything, i would assume it will squeeze out the 2nd / 3rd tier squads even more. 

I wouldn’t be stunned if CONCACAF forces a home and away match between us and El Salvador to be the last team in the Hex.  The change made was very unfair to Canada especially.

Depending on when this gets under control there may still be time for the current process to play through but it’s going to be tight I think.

39 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I don’t really see how a compressed format would help us in any way. If anything, i would assume it will squeeze out the 2nd / 3rd tier squads even more. 

Best case scenario would be they run out of dates for the hex and are forced to do two groups of 4. 

I could also foresee them delaying the Gold Cup to 2022 and using June 2021 to play 4 or even 6 games.  They'd probably ask for a special exception from FIFA to get player release outside the normal window.

32 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I wouldn’t be stunned if CONCACAF forces a home and away match between us and El Salvador to be the last team in the Hex.  The change made was very unfair to Canada especially.

Depending on when this gets under control there may still be time for the current process to play through but it’s going to be tight I think.

CONCACAF certainly never does us any favours, we are the nice Canadians who besides a few of us on this forum will never complain, ES probably has way more influence than us and certainly would be against the home and away tie!

If the Covid19 problem becomes longer than expected and FIFA does not want to change the dates for Qatar 2022, the  Concacaf qualifiers would have to be done in a tournament " a la Gold Gold"  or as  the Concacaf Women's World Cup qualification.

Or implement home-away direct elimination matches  to complete 6 countries in the final round and play the Hex in one venue, as happened with the Concacaf qualifiers of 1974 (Haiti), 1978 (Mexico) and 1982 (Honduras).

1 hour ago, xabuep2 said:

If the Covid19 problem becomes longer than expected and FIFA does not want to change the dates for Qatar 2022, the  Concacaf qualifiers would have to be done in a tournament " a la Gold Gold"  or as  the Concacaf Women's World Cup qualification.

Or implement home-away direct elimination matches  to complete 6 countries in the final round and play the Hex in one venue, as happened with the Concacaf qualifiers of 1974 (Haiti), 1978 (Mexico) and 1982 (Honduras).

Looking at FIFA's regulations for 2022 World Cup Qualifying, qualifying can only occur in single matches at a neutral site with FIFA's permission.  See the highlighted sections at the bottom of the screenshot below.

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/regulations-fifa-world-cup-2022tm-preliminary-competition.pdf?cloudid=r6gcejmanhw27gzaa9xb

image.thumb.png.9daedb4acf00743f0818a2ace34638fd.png

Also important to note this sentence in the middle of the first paragraph that CONCACAF never read until it was brought to their attention:    "Any seeding based on team performance for each confederation's preliminary competition shall be based on the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking"

2 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Also important to note this sentence in the middle of the first paragraph that CONCACAF never read until it was brought to their attention:    "Any seeding based on team performance for each confederation's preliminary competition shall be based on the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking"

Yah. Thanks Vic.  That was a massive F up.  Probably thought he was doing us s favour but didn’t know his own organizations rules.

11 minutes ago, Kent said:

I wonder if FIFA might consider making windows a couple days longer and allowing 3 matches rather than just 2. Everything is up in the air at this point. We don’t know when things will be up and running again, so it is hard to predict what might be done.

The easiest thing for FIFA to do is move the World Cup draw back to allow the June and September 2022 dates to be used.  There are 4 matchdays scheduled for June 2022 that would otherwise just be friendlies

image.thumb.png.b94f335e6f76884e675fbcf3d4d2ba5d.png

John Herdman prepares for the future, looks for silver lining in COVID-19 cloud

..that has included strategic planning, statistical analysis and tactical reviews as well as starting scouting possible World Cup qualifying opponents. 

Herdman expects a congested schedule when soccer returns, so being prepared is key given time may be short. 

A Canada Soccer committee is looking at short-, medium- and long-term scenarios, as well as “best and worse scenarios” on when the sport returns. It’s not easy in an ever-changing landscape.

Players on the national team’s leadership group met remotely last Friday. One-on-one “connects” with the players are coming up. Work continues at the younger age levels.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/article-john-herdman-prepares-for-the-future-looks-for-silver-lining-in-covid/

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, neuker said:

Quote from above article:

"A Canada Soccer committee is looking at short-, medium- and long-term scenarios, as well as “best and worse scenarios” on when the sport returns. It’s not easy in an ever-changing landscape."

If there is a second wave of Covid 19 come October, what could the Canada Soccer committee be looking at for a long-term scenario?

Yah how come they're not hiding under the bed crying watching Netflix, sharing memes and demanding the CSA not pay them to do their jobs. What the hell has gotten in to these people?

I'm not interested in What if scenarios because What if?

Edited by SpursFlu

7 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm good buddy. I'm busy working and looking after my family. Enjoy your documentaries 

Well I’m glad your working but unfortunately some of us are not , hopefully this all ends soon so some form of normalcy returns. 

11 hours ago, neuker said:

Nonetheless, there does come a time when every business, especially those that are strapped for cash, must consider laying off their employees due to a shortages of work. The signs are everywhere you look. No one is exempt. Clubs, leagues, and yes even national soccer associations will now have to deal with a new economic reality.

"UEFA has suspended club and international competitions "until further notice." Meanwhile, Germany's Joachim Löw has become the world's longest-tenured national team coach after Uruguay laid off its coaching staff."

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-sports-cancellations/a-52569936

"Montevideo (AFP) – The Uruguayan Football Association (AUF) announced that almost all of its staff, including coach Oscar Tabarez, have been laid off due to the coronavirus pandemic that has frozen sport worldwide. 

"The executive committee informs that, due to the current health crisis which has brought to a halt all its activities, it is obliged to take a series of tough decisions in order to protect the future functioning of the institution,” the AUF said in a statement on Friday.

The main measure was to “send all its staff to collect unemployment insurance” including Tabarez, 73, who has been the coach of the Uruguayan national team since 2006, leading them to a World Cup semi-final and a Copa America title."

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2020/03/28/uruguayan-football-federation-lays-off-400-including-coach-tabarez/

Almost 400 staff?  Does anyone have a rough idea how many the CSA employs? I am assuming our number of employees would be insignificant compared to that.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Well I’m glad your working but unfortunately some of us are not , hopefully this all ends soon so some form of normalcy returns. 

You bet, I'm very lucky in the current situation and doing my best to look out for others. take care, be safe, stay sane and we'll be all back talking footie full time soon. Cheers

But the point is the CSA should be doing everything they can to add value in this current situation, all while following the current health guildlines. Planning for the future, whatever that will look like is absolutely the right thing to be doing at the moment 

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, neuker said:

Translated: FIFA has canceled all national team matches scheduled for June. If there is no change in the regulations approved in 2019, we have ALREADY CONFIRMED the 6 teams of the Hexagonal for Qatar 2022:

México

Estados Unidos

Costa Rica

Jamaica

Honduras

El Salvador

Well let’s just hope there is a change in regulations lol. Who knows what will happen. At this point anything could happen depending on how long it takes for WCQ to begin again. Some streamlined qualification would be nice. Get rid of the whole thing and create another method of qualification