The Road to Qatar.

Binky

1 hour ago, neuker said:

Quote from above article:

"A Canada Soccer committee is looking at short-, medium- and long-term scenarios, as well as “best and worse scenarios” on when the sport returns. It’s not easy in an ever-changing landscape."

If there is a second wave of Covid 19 come October, what could the Canada Soccer committee be looking at for a long-term scenario?

Yah how come they're not hiding under the bed crying watching Netflix, sharing memes and demanding the CSA not pay them to do their jobs. What the hell has gotten in to these people?

I'm not interested in What if scenarios because What if?

Edited by SpursFlu

7 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm good buddy. I'm busy working and looking after my family. Enjoy your documentaries 

Well I’m glad your working but unfortunately some of us are not , hopefully this all ends soon so some form of normalcy returns. 

11 hours ago, neuker said:

Nonetheless, there does come a time when every business, especially those that are strapped for cash, must consider laying off their employees due to a shortages of work. The signs are everywhere you look. No one is exempt. Clubs, leagues, and yes even national soccer associations will now have to deal with a new economic reality.

"UEFA has suspended club and international competitions "until further notice." Meanwhile, Germany's Joachim Löw has become the world's longest-tenured national team coach after Uruguay laid off its coaching staff."

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-sports-cancellations/a-52569936

"Montevideo (AFP) – The Uruguayan Football Association (AUF) announced that almost all of its staff, including coach Oscar Tabarez, have been laid off due to the coronavirus pandemic that has frozen sport worldwide. 

"The executive committee informs that, due to the current health crisis which has brought to a halt all its activities, it is obliged to take a series of tough decisions in order to protect the future functioning of the institution,” the AUF said in a statement on Friday.

The main measure was to “send all its staff to collect unemployment insurance” including Tabarez, 73, who has been the coach of the Uruguayan national team since 2006, leading them to a World Cup semi-final and a Copa America title."

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2020/03/28/uruguayan-football-federation-lays-off-400-including-coach-tabarez/

Almost 400 staff?  Does anyone have a rough idea how many the CSA employs? I am assuming our number of employees would be insignificant compared to that.

12 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Well I’m glad your working but unfortunately some of us are not , hopefully this all ends soon so some form of normalcy returns. 

You bet, I'm very lucky in the current situation and doing my best to look out for others. take care, be safe, stay sane and we'll be all back talking footie full time soon. Cheers

But the point is the CSA should be doing everything they can to add value in this current situation, all while following the current health guildlines. Planning for the future, whatever that will look like is absolutely the right thing to be doing at the moment 

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, neuker said:

Translated: FIFA has canceled all national team matches scheduled for June. If there is no change in the regulations approved in 2019, we have ALREADY CONFIRMED the 6 teams of the Hexagonal for Qatar 2022:

México

Estados Unidos

Costa Rica

Jamaica

Honduras

El Salvador

Well let’s just hope there is a change in regulations lol. Who knows what will happen. At this point anything could happen depending on how long it takes for WCQ to begin again. Some streamlined qualification would be nice. Get rid of the whole thing and create another method of qualification

At the end of the day if it sticks, it all comes down to loosing to Haiti. That should never have happened with the talent we have

But chin up.. we have an unreal team by Concacaf standards. Easily the 3rd best team talent wise. 

What do we need to do and let's just do it

I'm already dreaming about a sold out BC Place, intercontinental play in game v Argentina and Canada puts the nail in Messi's international career ;)

Edited by SpursFlu

26 minutes ago, neuker said:

Perhaps the Gold Cup and CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers could be combined, as the following will show that a precedent has already been established:

The 1985 CONCACAF Championship was the ninth edition of the CONCACAF Championship. It also served as the qualification for the 1986 World Cup. A total of 18 CONCACAF teams entered the competition. The North, Central American and Caribbean zone was allocated 2 places (out of 24) in the final tournament. Mexico, the World Cup host, qualified automatically, leaving 1 spot open for competition between 17 teams. Canada earned their first major title and clinched qualification on 14 September 1985 to participate in their first World Cup after beating Honduras 2–1 at King George V Park in St. John's, Newfoundland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_men's_national_soccer_team

This was actually an interesting post Robert.

But come on @admin, what is the point of a ban if he can just make a new account the next day.

Yesterday, all the sports sites in the Hispanic area of Concacaf highlighted that it is virtually certain that El Salvador would be in the final hex after the cancellation of the friendly dates in June.

Even the Spanish journalist closely linked to the Concacaf Mister Chip (Alexis Martin-Tamayo) referred to it. In fact, this journalist usually anticipates the official statements of Concacaf, because he works indirectly for this Conferderación, advertising his tournaments.

In Panama there is a saying that says: when the river sounds, stones bring. 

Let's not be surprised that all of this is well cooked. The best thing that could happen is that more FIFA dates  will be suspended and thus a total format change would have to be made.

I attach some links, sorry they are in Spanish but they refer the same

https://www.tvn-2.com/deportes/Panama-oficialmente-Hexagonal-CONCACAF_0_5547195251.html

https://us.marca.com/claro/futbol/seleccion-usa/2020/04/03/5e86bf8f22601da71a8b459f.html

https://us.as.com/us/2020/04/03/futbol/1585865160_195411.html

https://www.lateja.cr/deportes/hexagonal-de-concacaf-rumbo-a-catar-2020-esta/H7Z3HM7CD5D7POEBQKW2V24PH4/story/

CONCACAF has released a statement to say the Nations League Finals "will be rescheduled to a later date" and the Gold Cup qualifiers are "postponed".    That should eat up at least one FIFA window.

https://www.concacaf.com/en/article/concacaf-statement-regarding-the-suspension-of-the-concacaf-nations-league-finals-road-to-gold-cup-qualifiers-and-flow-caribbean-club-championship

Could be a moot point because FIFA is starting bilateral discussions about changing the FIFA calendar in response to Covid

Concerning the men’s international match calendar:

• To postpone all international matches due to be played during the upcoming June 2020 window; and
  • To organise bilateral discussions with confederations concerning 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifiers in order to finalise a revised match schedule pending health and safety developments.

https://www.fifa.com/who-we-are/news/dedicated-covid-19-working-group-proposes-recommendations-after-first-meeting

5 hours ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

This was actually an interesting post Robert.

But come on @admin, what is the point of a ban if he can just make a new account the next day.

What can I do? 

IP block doesn't work.  Just make a new email, use a vpn.... if russian bots can do it, so can he.

The platform is dead.

Assholes like him killed it long ago.

Well at least he's a football fan. When they were giving out assignments at the bot farm in Nigeria they were like ok who wants to be a White Supremacist on youtube comment sections? Ok do we have any takers on pretending to be Black Lives Matter on twitter? K good. Oh here's an interesting one, who wants to stir up shit on a Canadian soccer forum? "Robert" was like oh oh oh me sir I'll take that one! Yes! He couldn't believe he could combine both his passions and get paid for it. Tearing at the cultural fabric of western civilization and football. What luck

Edited by SpursFlu

This is not going to really settle down in all regions of the world until July at the earliest.  Less developed areas will linger in isolation until there is a vaccine; which won’t be until December.

Its quite possible that it’s all settled down in Canada by June but other countries won’t be so fortunate.

I cant see how this will settle enough to get back to normal sports.  Say you slow it down and you only get 5% of population sick this spring/early summer, thats nearly 2 million cases ie hospitals swamped.  And if we start to ease up, there is still another 95% of the population for it to run rampant through the rest of the summer. It wouldnt surprise me all this will be shut down until winter at the earliest.    

10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I cant see how this will settle enough to get back to normal sports.  Say you slow it down and you only get 5% of population sick this spring/early summer, thats nearly 2 million cases ie hospitals swamped.  And if we start to ease up, there is still another 95% of the population for it to run rampant through the rest of the summer. It wouldnt surprise me all this will be shut down until winter at the earliest.    

Moving in the right direction out here in BC. Dont freak out on me. Just saying. Things wont be back to "normal" for a long time but things are moving in the right direction. Hospital bed occupancies have been cut in half since the peak over 3 weeks ago. Median age of deaths 81. 60% of active cases recovered. Facts folks

Edited by SpursFlu

55 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Moving in the right direction out here in BC. Dont freak out on me. Just saying. Things wont be back to "normal" for a long time but things are moving in the right direction. Hospital bed occupancies have been cut in half since the peak over 3 weeks ago. Median age of deaths 81. 60% of active cases recovered. Facts folks

That’s awesome to hear but that doesn’t mean the rest of the world or even the rest of the country is the same. Ontario is struggling, particularly in the GTA. Even Windsor is being hit hard and facing the possibility of running out of beds/ventilators because of all the people coming from Detroit and the health care workers that commute to Detroit and back every day.

2 minutes ago, archer21 said:

That’s awesome to hear but that doesn’t mean the rest of the world or even the rest of the country is the same. Ontario is struggling, particularly in the GTA. Even Windsor is being hit hard and facing the possibility of running out of beds/ventilators because of all the people coming from Detroit and the health care workers that commute to Detroit and back every day.

Yah that's tough and a unique situation. Stay safe and do the right thing. 2 things to consider in my opinion and we can relate it back to football. 2 things I can't see returning to "normal" for a long time is gatherings of "pick your number" and how you define that and international travel. I dont think there will be any international or cross border travel for non essential reasons for a long time.

That we are going to miss out on the Hex should come as no surprise. The surprise to me is that anyone thinks we deserve to be there. I think the format is really lame, but our results mean we don’t deserve a spot. Even with all the match days we were needing to schedule a batch of friendlies to try to pip El Salvador. 

I know I’m in the minority here, but with the exception of the USA game at home in the Nations League, I have seen Absolutely nothing from this team to suggest we deserve to be in the Hex.  Remember Haiti?  Or USA away?  If we truly belong as a top team, then we’ll run the table against non-Hex teams, then we’ll beat the fourth place team.

But it’s likely, we’ll struggle against teams like Panama, Guatemala, T&T.  Maybe it’s just old feelings, but I still lack confidence in us against those teams. 

The format doesn’t really matter. If we’re in the Hex, we’re likely fighting for fourth anyway.  If we aren’t in the Hex then the way many of you on this board talk it should be a bloody cake-walk to get into the playoff. 

Edited by RJB

• Admin locked this topic