Vancouver Whitecaps 2019 Season

21 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

We need a massive upgrade in midfield. Maybe the young turks will grow to be studs, but that will take some time. I am fine keeping Rusty, but the only midfielder here who helps us know is Inbeom.  Erice needs to go, as does Andy Rose.

Teibert and Rose need to be back ups, not regular starters, imo.  MDS seems to value Rose, so I don't see him going anywhere, much to the dismay of the fanbase.  The young turks you speak of won't be emerging with this team:  they'll be making their breakthrough elsewhere.

More evidence Whitecaps don't know how to provide opportunities to young players. Liam Fraser on his days at the Whitecaps:

Fraser doesn’t offer much about his time in the Whitecaps organization, saying: “It was all right.”

But pressed, he spills.

“They never gave me the opportunity I felt I deserved there and I think a lot of people over there tried taking credit for something I don’t think they built up at all ... Last time I went to Vancouver I had a couple of people, part of the (Vancouver) organization – I won’t name anyone – say ‘Oh, it was great to see a Whitecaps product.’ And I said ‘You guys didn’t give me nothing.“’

He believes the Whitecaps, while giving him a chance to play in his own age group, “never pushed me for that next step.”

“I owe everything to Toronto FC and the people that gave me opportunity here,” he said.

As a result Fraser looks forward to games against the Whitecaps. “I love them.”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/article-liam-fraser-bides-his-time-with-toronto-fc-but-believes-he-is-ready/

• 4 weeks later...

Has there been no more word on Henry's transfer?? I'm curious to see how much they sell him for.  And on a related note, did Davies transfer had a performance clause included??  With him getting all this game time, I wonder if the Whitecaps are getting a bunch more German cash.  

Was reading up on Colyn's loan to PSV Eindhoven when I came across Chituru Odunze sale to Leicester. How in Christ does a kid born in London England, grew up in Calgary with his family still living here, become the US U17 goalkeeper??

As been mentioned before he doesn't have Canadian citizienship. I'll just assume people are joking because the thought that the Whitecaps are directing players to play for the US is a lets just say... an interesting thought. 

Another bigger picture item is.. if we don't want the US picking off dual nationals we shouldn't have them playing in the USSD or whatever it's called. Especially since our teams always excel and get in to the final rounds where the spotlight really turns on these players

Edited by SpursFlu

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

As been mentioned before he doesn't have Canadian citizienship. I'll just assume people are joking because the thought that the Whitecaps are directing players to play for the US is a lets just say... an interesting thought. 

Another bigger picture item is.. if we don't want the US picking off dual nationals we shouldn't have them playing in the USSD or whatever it's called. Especially since our teams always excel and get in to the final rounds where the spotlight really turns on these players

I was joking, but according to this he does have Canadian citizenship:

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2019/08/01/wfc-transfer-gk-chituru

5 hours ago, masster said:

I know that Odunze did not have Canadian citizenship at the time he started playing for the US. From what I understand, he has since acquired it, but by then he was probably too entrenched in the American system.

I think they means he might not be eligible for Canada ever... I thought you couldn't switch if you didn't hold the nationality prior to playing in official FIFA competition. 

• 1 month later...

This was a pretty logical step. Whitecaps short at LB and as we saw with him almost signing for Valour, he was at least open to if not seeking a move to Canada. I thought they would have him on trial in the training camp first though. The fact they made him put pen to paper already is a good sign. 

5 hours ago, Big_M said:

A very good one. He's one of those players who is so technically good and intelligent, I believe he wouldnt look out of step playing anywhere in the world. I think the problem last year was he didn't have complementary pieces in the midfield with him and at first tried to do too much