HFX Wanderers launch/2019 offseason thread

2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Hart is a nice guy but he is a has been and is damaged goods.  I would like to see CPL teams coached by young coaches with an upside who have the possibility to be CMNT coach candidates in the future. 

Who's next, Dale Mitchell?   

Lets see a guy who is well liked, has a large deal of respect in the soccer community with strong local roots and plenty of experience coaching at the international level........ ya terrible choice i guess  :s

Just now, grasshopper1917 said:

Lets see a guy who is well liked, has a large deal of respect in the soccer community with strong local roots and plenty of experience coaching at the international level........ ya terrible choice i guess  :s

Anyone who's ever been involved with soccer in Atlantic Canada understands the level of respect for Stephen Hart. 

And that respect was earned over many years.

But alas, I wouldn't expect someone from outside the region to understand..

...looking down at Hart from his high Ontario-perch ;)

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

That would be a nice touch if Dusseldorf brought Froese back to canada and let him have a shift in Halifax.  Maybe he could do one of those testimonial game things where he plays a half for each side.  

He’s from Winnipeg though?

6 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Hart is a nice guy but he is a has been and is damaged goods.  I would like to see CPL teams coached by young coaches with an upside who have the possibility to be CMNT coach candidates in the future. 

Who's next, Dale Mitchell?   

Hmmmm...did he steal your bicycle or something?

With his ties to Halifax and coaching resume its a no brainer.  What young maritime coach could have gone in there as coach and gm??  I dont have an axe to grind, let bygones be bygones. He has probably gotten better since he left our program in 2012.  Good for Halfiax and for him.  

11 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Hart is a nice guy but he is a has been and is damaged goods...Who's next, Dale Mitchell?   

Getting the show on the road with the has beens that have name recognition and lots of contacts in their local soccer community and then using the first couple of seasons to develop the next generation rather than throwing them in at the deep end isn't necessarily a bad strategy. Dale Mitchell might have been a candidate for Surrey in that regard although Colin Miller probably would have got it due to being based in Abbotsford, but I think Bruce Wilson would be the leading member of the old guard that is likely to be trundled out in a Victoria context?

25 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Getting the show on the road with the has beens that have name recognition and lots of contacts in their local soccer community and then using the first couple of seasons to develop the next generation rather than throwing them in at the deep end isn't necessarily a bad strategy

I like this

17 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

With Hart as coach, can King of Donair please be the kit sponsor for this team? Please please please?

They were one of the top amateur teams in the country. Probably some good mojo there :)

51 minutes ago, Obinna said:

They were one of the top amateur teams in the country. Probably some good mojo there :)

You aren't the first person I've heard suggest that, haha. I would absolutely love to see it, and it would be fitting. 

Can't wait to see the HFX kits, and the first player signing. I guess those are the next big milestones. So excited to see this team come together!

4 hours ago, HfxCeltic said:

https://hfxwanderersfc.entripyshirts.com/

HFX Wanderers Merch Online Shop. Members recieve a 10% discount until July 12th or 14th....not sure which. Email from club says the 14th, but the site says the 12th. The site photo's appear photoshopped, so I'll reserve judgement on the quality until I pick something up.

Those are pretty reasonsable prices. 

14 hours ago, HfxCeltic said:

https://hfxwanderersfc.entripyshirts.com/

HFX Wanderers Merch Online Shop. Members recieve a 10% discount until July 12th or 14th....not sure which. Email from club says the 14th, but the site says the 12th. The site photo's appear photoshopped, so I'll reserve judgement on the quality until I pick something up.

is anyone else a little disappointed cpl teams are selling merch without a kit maker is announced? kind of hints at the idea that that deal isn't going to be as awesome as many had hoped.

Edited by matty

2 hours ago, matty said:

is anyone else a little disappointed cpl teams are selling merch without a kit maker is announced? kind of hints at the idea that that deal isn't going to be as awesome as many had hoped.

Never considered that but good point

2 hours ago, matty said:

Good Point but in their defense nobody is selling jerseys yet.

3 hours ago, matty said:

Not really.. people aren’t going to wait around when there is money to be made - that would give the other side leverage knowing that CPL needs to put pen to paper so they can sell.  Plus if you can sell items it shows value to potential sponsors and also gets them waning to jump in ASAP to put their brand on said items.

Toronto FC sold tons of kits before having a front kit sponsor and that didn’t affect that deal or forecast that it would be weak. 

7 hours ago, Keegan said:

Not really.. people aren’t going to wait around when there is money to be made - that would give the other side leverage knowing that CPL needs to put pen to paper so they can sell.  Plus if you can sell items it shows value to potential sponsors and also gets them waning to jump in ASAP to put their brand on said items.

I don't think CPL sides selling any form of merch gives them any kind of leverage if they're talking with a Nike, Adidas, Umbro, New Balance or even Vans (I'm including them more as a joke). It does with a Inaria maybe.

The concern here (for me) is that who ever they are talking with (to produce the kits) does not care and fine losing out on t-shirts and hoodies for some reason. Even if they are still negotiating it's concerning that CPL teams are producing stuff.

7 hours ago, Keegan said:

Toronto FC sold tons of kits before having a front kit sponsor and that didn’t affect that deal or forecast that it would be weak. 

I don't think that's comparable as they still were produced by the kit manufacturer not some third party.

Edited by matty

2 minutes ago, Keegan said:

How is it concerning at all? I’m just wondering your line of thinking.  How is selling merch a bad thing ever?  Get the brand out there and select the best offer we get, can’t wait around for big corps to decide. 

I'll explain a bit why but I do agree there's nothing overly wrong with it.

It's concerning because it makes me wonder how said corporations view the league's potential. We've heard they're talking with a major manufacturer interested and yet they're printing on Gildan t-shirts (the shirts you get at your local print shop). Now it's odd that a major brand would let you do such a thing while your negotiating, assuming they would want to have their finger prints on most of your merch and would have asked or required you to not do such a thing. Now it might be nothing, but the fact CPL teams are doing could hint at either they are not talking with Nike but instead Inaria or that the Nikes only want to deal in the kits because they don't see t-shirts and hoodies being worth it which would limit the amount of CPL merch on the market greatly. It's fully possible it's a temporary thing but it's just a little odd.

Also printing on Gildan looks kind of cheap I guess.

The big thing for me is that the CPL haven't really talked about sponsors yet and usually early on you reveal who you are working with to show how serious you are (I work in cycling and a big thing about clubs and events is they don't go public without some kind of partnership to mention). I think the CPL has some serious money involved but the move just seems odd.

Hope that makes sense.