HFX Wanderers launch/2019 offseason thread

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

Pretty cool to see Ibra Sanoh on the invite list - and flagged as "one to watch".  I played against him 4 or 5 years ago and he was a beast.  Since then he has had a bunch of high quality training, has "manned up" physically, and has carved out some great collegiate scoring numbers.  Would be great to see him help kick things off in CPL next year.

HFX Wanderers reduced the price of tickets as a result of Fortuna Dusseldorf sending a U21 squad. They had initially priced tickets based on a U23 squad being sent over. They are in the process of issuing refunds to those purchased already.

Premium centre $35 --> $30

West Sideline $25 --> $20

Youth $17 --> $10

Endline SG Section $20 --> $15

West End Beer Garden $15 --> $10

These prices definetly seem a bit more reasonable.

1 hour ago, HfxCeltic said:

HFX Wanderers reduced the price of tickets as a result of Fortuna Dusseldorf sending a U21 squad. They had initially priced tickets based on a U23 squad being sent over. They are in the process of issuing refunds to those purchased already.

Premium centre $35 --> $30

West Sideline $25 --> $20

Youth $17 --> $10

Endline SG Section $20 --> $15

West End Beer Garden $15 --> $10

These prices definetly seem a bit more reasonable.

Very wise decision and hopefully puts a positive spin on a situation that was not looking good from a PR standpoint.  Goodwill and positive vibes and as many bums in the seats as possible for a friendly mean a lot more to ownership than 10 bucks or so extra a ticket.

It's an interesting opportunity for Halifax fans though.  Some of these Selects could very well be on Wanderers FC next season.

On July 10, 2018 at 10:58 PM, dyslexic nam said:

Pretty cool to see Ibra Sanoh on the invite list - and flagged as "one to watch".  I played against him 4 or 5 years ago and he was a beast.  Since then he has had a bunch of high quality training, has "manned up" physically, and has carved out some great collegiate scoring numbers.  Would be great to see him help kick things off in CPL next year.

Just to classlessly bump my own post - saw Ibrah tonight at my son's U13 practice where he was helping the coach.  He is looking forward to CPL getting going next year.  I told him I would buy his jersey.

That is all.

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

Just rec'd my HFX tee and there is no CPL logo unlike the Calvary one that did have it.

It did not look like they had one from the pictures, but too bad. No one would ask you about an obscure team or club name, but with that CPL explanation on the sleeve, you have a talking point. Sorry they were not onto this and that the CPL did not insist on it.

This is sort of like buying postage stamps you knew were going to be defective, the merchandise will be worth millions to collectors.

Heard some new rumors that are mostly Halifax specific, but do have league wide implications. 

1. a media deal is 2-3 months (60-90 days ;)) away - not sure if this means announced publicly, or internally secured.

2. HFX Wanderers FC merch will be on sale at the match on July 28 vs U21 Fortuna Dusseldorf.

3. Jersey's won't be available for purchase until after Christmas. This makes me wonder what jersey's the Atlantic Selects will wear during the Fortuna Dusseldorf match.

4. Only 1-2 players from the Atlantic Selects evaluation camp have a chance of making the Spring 2019 launch roster.

This is from a decently reliable source involved in the SG, but could obviously change.

Derek Martin and Stephen Hart interview on the local morning show. A few notes to takeaway:

- Update on club members now over 800.

- Potential for 1-2 players from the Atlantic Selects to impress Hart and have a chance to make the team next year. Only players from NS have been included in the camp so far. The club tweeted a photo last night of their first training session.

- Tickets to the match are still available - looking at the site for purchasing tickets and it seems there are still quite a few available. Hopefully those get snagged up once the game approaches and the weather situation is known. I've sent an email to the parents of the kids I coach informing them of the team and game coming up. The local club I'm involved with either hasn't been engaged by, or hasn't actively engaged HFX Wanderers FC as I haven't seen anything come through from them. Really hope Halifax shows up for this. Hart noted the last time Halifax hosted an international friendly was back in 70's when Patrick Thistle and QPR (??) popped over for a friendly.

Final roster for the game tomorrow is set. Original camp list involved 26, 7 were cut, and 3 additional were called in.

Really happy to see the 4,000 benchmark surpassed. Hopefully, they can push past the 5,000 mark with last minute buys and some walk-ups. There are still tickets available for $10 in the beer garden area - that's incredibly cheap for 2 hrs of entertainment and quick access to some patio beers. I've heard the SG has some pretty solid plans for a march to the stadium. I'll be bringing my son, so can't really participate, but it seems like that would be a good time!

7 hours ago, HfxCeltic said:

I've heard the SG has some pretty solid plans for a march to the stadium. I'll be bringing my son, so can't really participate, but it seems like that would be a good time!

This is basically the first CPL preview and we plan and making a great first impression Maritime style. I think I can speak for all Privateers in saying  we are excited as hell for it has been a loooooong wait. The march is going to be great  - great to see several local pubs involved. I may be biased but I have a feeling Halifax is going to bar tomorrow for other CPL cities to shoot for.

9 hours ago, HfxCeltic said:

Final roster for the game tomorrow is set. Original camp list involved 26, 7 were cut, and 3 additional were called in.

Really happy to see the 4,000 benchmark surpassed. Hopefully, they can push past the 5,000 mark with last minute buys and some walk-ups. There are still tickets available for $10 in the beer garden area - that's incredibly cheap for 2 hrs of entertainment and quick access to some patio beers. I've heard the SG has some pretty solid plans for a march to the stadium. I'll be bringing my son, so can't really participate, but it seems like that would be a good time!

How old is your son? I had my daughters (aged 11 & 8 at the time) in Vancouver for the march to BC Place for CanMNT vs Mexico in March 2016 and in the supporter’s section. They loved it and subsequently sung Vs songs off and on for much of the drive back to Regina. 

Gotta get em involved young. :)

14 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

How old is your son? I had my daughters (aged 11 & 8 at the time) in Vancouver for the march to BC Place for CanMNT vs Mexico in March 2016 and in the supporter’s section. They loved it and subsequently sung Vs songs off and on for much of the drive back to Regina. 

Gotta get em involved young. :)

Just turned 3, so he may be a little young yet. The exciting thing about CPL for me is that he’s going to grow up with this and never know any different. Really excited about the years ahead!

2 hours ago, HfxCeltic said:

Just turned 3, so he may be a little young yet. The exciting thing about CPL for me is that he’s going to grow up with this and never know any different. Really excited about the years ahead!

Ah. Gotcha. 

Very true on the ‘never know the difference’ aspect. Very lucky indeed. 

It was an awesome time! Düsseldorf controlled the play for the first 10-15 mins pretty handily. Seemed the Halifax players were having a hard time adjusting to the pace and it was pretty clear they’d only been playing together for a week.

Ibrahim Sanoh scored a beauty to tie it at 1-1. Outpaced 2 Düsseldorf players down the wing with the ball at his feet, then cut back towards the corner of the six when a Düsseldorf defender slid in to block his shot. Slotted home a left footed effort in the bottom near post corner.

Jacob Shaffleburg drew 2 yellows/a red from the Düsseldorf RB within 10 mins of coming on as a 2nd half substitute. Düsseldorf were down to 10 men with about 20 mins to go. Shaffleburg received a cross field ball into open space about 35 yards from goal, controlled the ball and directed it towards goal with his chest 1-touch, then ripped a left footer into the near post top corner off the underside of the bar. This kid is damn good. Could definitely see him as CPL capable, if not better.

Halifax GK’s made some really key saves on some clear chances by Düsseldorf. Oxner was named MOTM.

Went to a shootout after the 2-2 FT. Halifax won 5-4, with Oxner making an impressive save. Shaffleburg scored the last kick of the shootout with some solid composure for an 18 year old kid.

Overall, I was extremely impressed with the quality of the Halifax squad. It was shakey in the beginning, but once they settled the nerves they more than held their own against a young and skillful Düsseldorf squad.

Edited by HfxCeltic

6 minutes ago, HfxCeltic said:

It was an awesome time! Düsseldorf controlled the play for the first 10-15 mins pretty handily. Seemed the Halifax players were having a hard time adjusting to the pace and it was pretty clear they’d only been playing together for a week.

Ibrahim Sanoh scored a beauty to tie it at 1-1. Outpaced 2 Düsseldorf players down the wing with the ball at his feet, then cut back towards the corner of the six when a Düsseldorf defender slid in to block his shot. Slotted home a left footed effort in the bottom near post corner.

Jacob Shaffleburg drew 2 yellows/a red from the Düsseldorf RB within 10 mins of coming on as a 2nd half substitute. Düsseldorf were down to 10 men with about 20 mins to go. Shaffleburg received a cross field ball into open space about 35 yards from goal, controlled the ball and directed it towards goal with his chest 1-touch, then ripped a left footer into the near post top corner off the underside of the bar. This kid is damn good. Could definitely see him as CPL capable, if not better.

Halifax GK’s made some really key saves on some clear chances by Düsseldorf. Oxner was named MOTM.

Went to a shootout after the 2-2 FT. Halifax won 5-4, with Oxner making an impressive save. Shaffleburg scored the last kick of the shootout with some solid composure for an 18 year old kid.

Overall, I was extremely impressed with the quality of the Halifax squad. It was shakey in the beginning, but once they settled the nerves they more than held their own against a young and skillful Düsseldorf squad.

Thanks for the recap.  Sounds awesome.  Great job to the Atl Selects, the Wanderers club, and the supporters.

3 hours ago, HfxCeltic said:

I grew up with Steve Hart as a coach. When I was a kid, watching KOD play in the NSSL final and playing university is all we had to dream of. Great that players will have something to strive towards now.