HFX Wanderers launch/2019 offseason thread

8 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Steven Sandor’s article on the11.ca (if you want to go check it out)

Yes it's worth a read. One of the things that stood out for me was:

"Big advantage for CPL is national healthcare. It’s shocking that USL does not offer medical insurance for players. I was livid when I heard that. My private insurance costs me a boatload!”

I hadn't thought about it but this alone will have major drawing power over USL. 

And yes, I think it's shocking too that clubs in USL don't provide healthcare for their employees who are in a risk-profession. 

Edited by shamrock

On 8/18/2018 at 3:19 AM, shamrock said:

Yes it's worth a read. One of the things that stood out for me was:

"Big advantage for CPL is national healthcare. It’s shocking that USL does not offer medical insurance for players. I was livid when I heard that. My private insurance costs me a boatload!”

I hadn't thought about it but this alone will have major drawing power over USL. 

And yes, I think it's shocking too that clubs in USL don't provide healthcare for their employees who are in a risk-profession. 

How would it work for foreigners playing in Canada? They wouldn't be covered by our healthcare system would they?

3 hours ago, johnyb said:

How would it work for foreigners playing in Canada? They wouldn't be covered by our healthcare system would they?

Foreign Workers and Healthcare Eligibility

A foreign worker in Canada who has a valid Work Permit will be eligible to receive provincial healthcare coverage from the province they are working in. 

Eligibility is determined by the length of time they have been working in Canada along with their province of employment. 

In most provinces a worker will be eligible for that province’s healthcare program after working in the province anywhere from 6 months to a year. This is a generalization, though. In some cases, healthcare coverage is available as soon as the job commences.

Family members that are listed on the Work Permit should also be able to qualify for healthcare coverage.

See the "Provincial Healthcare Plans and Foreign Worker Eligibility" section at the bottom of this article for more province-specific healthcare details.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HfxCeltic said:

http://www.austv.ca/

FYI - you can watch the Dalhousie vs Saint Mary’s AUS matches (men’s and women’s) live online from Wanderers Grounds at the link above. 

Looks great! Hands down a excellent idea  for HFX Wanderers to host the 2nd exhibition game this time being a CIS derby between Saint Mary’s and Dalhouse Men’s and Women’s teams back to back!

Excellent preparaton for the new season ahead as the general public has responded very well, the interest is huge 

How many tickets did they sell vs fortuna dusseldorf U-19? Attendance was high for that one

Good crowd on hand for tonight also :) 

10E1C325-A2B4-402C-9588-FB4DBACAC6E1.png

Edited by Thomas

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

They're a local print clothing company that are selling wanderers merch at their waterfront boardwalk shop (sea container). Quality of their stuff varies. Good to see them grab a membership.

Really happy with the turnout for memberships in Halifax. I wouldn't be surprised if we pushed past 1500 by the end of 2018 and they start signing players.

• 4 weeks later...

News: CFL team could be coming to halifax.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/4529236/cfl-team-in-halifax/amp/

With National Lacrosse League (NLL) coming in 2019-2020 and The Moseheads in QMJHL having already a strong presence I hope the market doesn’t become too crowded 

Wanderers are projected to sell out their stadium of 5-7 Thousand 

Took the survey they sent around yesterday.

Encouraged them to use the logo in my avatar more as the brand awareness grows. I feel like it was the best of the bunch that they created but I have hardly seen it at all.

I worry the marketing isn't being done correctly out there. They seem to be downplaying the east coast appeal. 

Edited by Califax

16 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

News: CFL team could be coming to halifax.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/4529236/cfl-team-in-halifax/amp/

With National Lacrosse League (NLL) coming in 2019-2020 and The Moseheads in QMJHL having already a strong presence I hope the market doesn’t become too crowded 

Wanderers are projected to sell out their stadium of 5-7 Thousand 

There's also an NBLC team in Halifax. It could indeed get pretty crowded. 

1 hour ago, Califax said:

Took the survey they sent around yesterday.

Encouraged them to use the logo in my avatar more as the brand awareness grows. I feel like it was the best of the bunch that they created but I have hardly seen it at all.

I worry the marketing isn't being done correctly out there. They seem to be downplaying the east coast appeal. 

Took the survey as well. The questions around how many season tickets I intend to purchase and other events i'd like to see at Wanderers Grounds in 2019 piqued my interest. Decided to go big on the latter and suggest a Canadian National Mens or Womens team match. Seems they're trying to guage season ticket numbers as well. Other than that, thought the survey was pretty standard.

58 minutes ago, HfxCeltic said:

Took the survey as well. The questions around how many season tickets I intend to purchase and other events i'd like to see at Wanderers Grounds in 2019 piqued my interest. Decided to go big on the latter and suggest a Canadian National Mens or Womens team match. Seems they're trying to guage season ticket numbers as well. Other than that, thought the survey was pretty standard.

Indeed.

This Dominica Canada game would be something if played in Halifax. Obviously it's kind of a big one, but it's hard to believe that you couldn't get a game every two years. Certainly get the women out there. 

1 hour ago, Califax said:

Indeed.

This Dominica Canada game would be something if played in Halifax. Obviously it's kind of a big one, but it's hard to believe that you couldn't get a game every two years. Certainly get the women out there. 

Honestly think this type of game would be perfect for the CMNT to explore and play-in other smaller parts of the country. They're playing a minnow and very likely to win regardless of location. Hosting such small nations in Toronto is likely no big deal to the majority of the supporters there; however if they played that game at Wanderers Grounds, it would be sold-out and the talk of the town for weeks leading up to the match. Canada hosting the likes of Mexico, Honduras, US, Costa Rica outside of the big cities, doesn't make sense, but hosting a small country like Dominica does, I think.

Edited by HfxCeltic

1 minute ago, HfxCeltic said:

Honestly think this type of game would be perfect for the CMNT to explore and play-in other smaller parts of the country. They're playing a minnow and very likely to win regardless of location. Hosting such small nations in Toronto is likely no big deal to the majority of the supporters there; however is they played that game at Wanderers Grounds, it would be sold-out and the talk of the town for weeks leading up to the match. Canada hosting the likes of Mexico, Honduras, US, Costa Rica outside of the big cities, doesn't make sense, but hosting a small country like Dominica does, I think.

I live in Toronto and am really excited to watch this game in person, but I totally agree. The games should be spread around and like you point out, this one is a good candidate for Halifax.

It will be interesting to see where the March game will be held. Vancouver or Victoria are probably the best possibilities going by weather that time of year, unless we think we'll need to freeze them out to give ourselves an advantage.