HFX Wanderers launch/2019 offseason thread

Pishaw...

We had Fosters as a sponsor in the closing days of the Fury. 

Yeah, if the on field display didn't put a bad taste in your gob 5 or 6 of those bad boys sure as shit did.

You know how some people say after the 1st couple of beers they all taste the same?  Fosters Lager is proof that THEY'RE LYING!

This public service announcement is brought to you by the home of Standard Lager, Club and Black Label.  Hmmm, hmmm good.

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

6edb6123faadc7c6b74654fe666d253a.jpg

Hopefully the Wanderers team has the longevity that the CSL team inspired beer has had in the Hamilton area over 30 years on (amazingly as it's almost as bad as Laker and that's saying something).

I’ve never seen or tasted this beer, but the can design makes me think the beer might actually glow....

14 hours ago, Kent said:

I live in Toronto and am really excited to watch this game in person, but I totally agree. The games should be spread around and like you point out, this one is a good candidate for Halifax.

It will be interesting to see where the March game will be held. Vancouver or Victoria are probably the best possibilities going by weather that time of year, unless we think we'll need to freeze them out to give ourselves an advantage.

We've come a long way from the time, a mere 4-5 years ago, when such an opinion would get a dozen of the Toronto guys coming at you guns-a-blazing shouting stuff like 'National Soccer Stadium', 'all the best players come from Southern Ontario', and 'real grass', absolutely livid that you suggested that the national team might play around the nation. It's amazing what a record crowd at BC Place has done to shut those bozos up, eh? ;-)

5 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

We've come a long way from the time, a mere 4-5 years ago, when such an opinion would get a dozen of the Toronto guys coming at you guns-a-blazing shouting stuff like 'National Soccer Stadium', 'all the best players come from Southern Ontario', and 'real grass', absolutely livid that you suggested that the national team might play around the nation. It's amazing what a record crowd at BC Place has done to shut those bozos up, eh? ?

As if Mexico wouldn't have been a big draw elsewhere in the country.

On point, I do think the Nations League offers an opportunity to actually have some competitive matches in other cities. I'd love to see Canada play at Spruce Meadows or Wanderers Grounds, and I think matches against the likes of El Salvador or Trinidad would be perfect.

17 hours ago, RS said:

As if Mexico wouldn't have been a big draw elsewhere in the country.

Date Location Match type CAN Result Opponent Venue Attendance
2016-03-29 Ciudad México, MEX FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers CAN MNT 0 - 2 MEX Estadio Azteca 64,430
2016-03-25 Vancouver, BC, CAN FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers CAN MNT 0 - 3 MEX BC Place Stadium 54,798
2013-07-11 Seattle, WA, USA CONCACAF Gold Cup CAN MNT 0 - 2 MEX CenturyLink Field 28,354
2008-10-15 Edmonton, AB, CAN FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers CAN MNT 2 - 2 MEX Commonwealth Stadium 14,145
2008-09-10 Tuxtla Gutierrez, MEX FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers CAN MNT 1 - 2 MEX Estadio Victor Manuel Reyna 26,900
2000-11-15 Toronto, ON, CAN FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers CAN MNT 0 - 0 MEX Varsity Stadium 6,465
2000-08-15 Ciudad México, MEX FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers CAN MNT 0 - 2 MEX Estadio Azteca 80,000
2000-02-20 San Diego, CA, USA CONCACAF Gold Cup CAN MNT 2 - 1 MEX Qualcomm Stadium 18,062
1997-10-12 Edmonton, AB, CAN FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers CAN MNT 2 - 2 MEX Commonwealth Stadium 11,806
1997-03-02 Ciudad México, MEX FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers CAN MNT 0 - 4 MEX Estadio Azteca 90,000
1993-07-18 Ciudad México, MEX CONCACAF Gold Cup CAN MNT 0 - 8 MEX Estadio Azteca 100,000

5 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:
Date Location Match type CAN Result Opponent Venue Attendance
2016-03-29 Ciudad México, MEX FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers CAN MNT 0 - 2 MEX Estadio Azteca 64,430
2016-03-25 Vancouver, BC, CAN FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers CAN MNT 0 - 3 MEX BC Place Stadium 54,798
2013-07-11 Seattle, WA, USA CONCACAF Gold Cup CAN MNT 0 - 2 MEX CenturyLink Field 28,354
2008-10-15 Edmonton, AB, CAN FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers CAN MNT 2 - 2 MEX Commonwealth Stadium 14,145
2008-09-10 Tuxtla Gutierrez, MEX FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers CAN MNT 1 - 2 MEX Estadio Victor Manuel Reyna 26,900
2000-11-15 Toronto, ON, CAN FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers CAN MNT 0 - 0 MEX Varsity Stadium 6,465
2000-08-15 Ciudad México, MEX FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers CAN MNT 0 - 2 MEX Estadio Azteca 80,000
2000-02-20 San Diego, CA, USA CONCACAF Gold Cup CAN MNT 2 - 1 MEX Qualcomm Stadium 18,062
1997-10-12 Edmonton, AB, CAN FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers CAN MNT 2 - 2 MEX Commonwealth Stadium 11,806
1997-03-02 Ciudad México, MEX FIFA World Cup™ Qualifiers CAN MNT 0 - 4 MEX Estadio Azteca 90,000
1993-07-18 Ciudad México, MEX CONCACAF Gold Cup CAN MNT 0 - 8 MEX Estadio Azteca 100,000

Yup, games from 1997, 2000 and 2008 are very relevant in today's discussion, especially since Canada was already eliminated from qualifying in 00 and 08 (and well on the way toward being eliminated by the time that 97 game rolled around).

Edited by RS

1 hour ago, RS said:

Yup, games from 1997, 2000 and 2008 are very relevant in today's discussion, especially since Canada was already eliminated from qualifying in 00 and 08 (and well on the way toward being eliminated by the time that 97 game rolled around).

So, what is the basis of your claim that the Mexico match would have drawn big numbers wherever it was played? Considering we've not drawn those kinds of numbers at any venue against any opposition in 120 years, I'm very curious to see your workings.

11 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

So, what is the basis of your claim that the Mexico match would have drawn big numbers wherever it was played? Considering we've not drawn those kinds of numbers at any venue against any opposition in 120 years, I'm very curious to see your workings.

For one, the game at BC Place had the advantage of featuring a Canada side that was still very much alive in qualifying at that point. That's a big factor that worked well for the 1993 qualifier in Toronto that BBTB posted above, and it's even more relevant to today's savvier soccer audience.

Expanding on that point a bit, the market for high-level soccer across the country is much bigger now than it was even a decade ago, especially in the big three cities. Also, the Mexican team is also bigger stateside than it has ever been (which pushes the number of away fans up, as well).

Either way, I don't think we're going to see too many CSA events at BC Place for the next little while due to the last-minute pulling out of the 2026 bid process. 

1 hour ago, Blackjack15 said:

No West Stand? Eitheir way the sketch looks solid. What would you say the capacity configuration is? Closer to 5,000 or 7,000 seats

4AAA393C-D801-4A03-9D92-EB113BFAD6FF.jpeg

They had the same setup for the CAN vs USA rugby match and the Atlantic Selects vs Fortuna Düsseldorf U21 match this summer and noted a sell out at 6,000 for the rugby match. I would assume similar or slightly less for next year as they’ll have dedicated seating on the sideline section.

As an aside, this is fuckin awesome! So excited! And including the jerseys with season ticket purchases makes it that much more affordable!

11 minutes ago, HfxCeltic said:

They had the same setup for the CAN vs USA rugby match and the Atlantic Selects vs Fortuna Düsseldorf U21 match this summer and noted a sell out at 6,000 for the rugby match. I would assume similar or slightly less for next year as they’ll have dedicated seating on the sideline section.

As an aside, this is fuckin awesome! So excited! And including the jerseys with season ticket purchases makes it that much more affordable!

I seem to remember them saying the capacity at the friendly was smaller than the end goal, so it might be a bit more 

Regardless, I like the smaller format for year 1. Markets like Calgary, Halifax, etc have the opportunity to consistently sell out and create that buzz that comes from scarcity, good stuff

Heard someone say they are hopeful of selling out the stadium with STH

The club I think wants to keep season tickets at 4000. Considering we are up to almost 1000 memberships alone I feel were likely to sell out those 4000 season tickets fairly quick. The great news is that leaves about 2000 tickets for the individual game pickers and walk up crowds. I feel like we will be close to capacity for almost all games. 

9 hours ago, Grandbloke said:

Right now I'm kinda wishing I lived in Halifax. I suppose I could always move...

Call me crazy, but I live in St. John's, Newfoundland and I think I am going to buy a Season Ticket in the Supporter's Section. 

Hear me out. 

I spend $160 per year on a TFC Jersey. I also attend about 2 games a year while travelling. That's over $200 a year. 

I fully intend to transition my soccer spend to HFX. If I'm getting my jersey for free with season tickets, that's attractive. I also intend to purchase a bit of gear (hat, etc.) so the discount that comes with season ticket membership is attractive to me. After that... I'm in Halifax each year much more than Toronto, plus having grown up in Nova Scotia I have a number of family and friends there who I would love to encourage to check out a Wanderers game and could possibly sell / give tickets to. Plus, I already put the $50 membership fee down in order to get early access to the store and just generally support the team, which was important to me when they launched. 

So... like... $199 bucks. I might pull the trigger, that's amazing. Am I nuts?

16 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

I seem to remember them saying the capacity at the friendly was smaller than the end goal, so it might be a bit more 

Regardless, I like the smaller format for year 1. Markets like Calgary, Halifax, etc have the opportunity to consistently sell out and create that buzz that comes from scarcity, good stuff

Heard someone say they are hopeful of selling out the stadium with STH

I think the original end goal was stands on both sides, as oppose to  the north side only, which it looks like is the case in the most recent seating release. I’m thinking 6,000 capacity, with 4,000 season ticket holders based on the membership email they sent yesterday.

16 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Someone on FB posted that they were member # 984.   I haven't been following the comparative membership counts, but that seems like a great number for Halifax at this stage.  

They noted 1000+ memberships in the seating pricing email sent yesterday. Really happy with what they’ve been able to achieve so far.!

3 hours ago, Copes said:

Call me crazy, but I live in St. John's, Newfoundland and I think I am going to buy a Season Ticket in the Supporter's Section. 

Hear me out. 

I spend $160 per year on a TFC Jersey. I also attend about 2 games a year while travelling. That's over $200 a year. 

I fully intend to transition my soccer spend to HFX. If I'm getting my jersey for free with season tickets, that's attractive. I also intend to purchase a bit of gear (hat, etc.) so the discount that comes with season ticket membership is attractive to me. After that... I'm in Halifax each year much more than Toronto, plus having grown up in Nova Scotia I have a number of family and friends there who I would love to encourage to check out a Wanderers game and could possibly sell / give tickets to. Plus, I already put the $50 membership fee down in order to get early access to the store and just generally support the team, which was important to me when they launched. 

So... like... $199 bucks. I might pull the trigger, that's amazing. Am I nuts?

I am doing something similar with Pacific FC, I think...at least depending on the packages made available. And I am not in Victoria nor even Canada most of the year. But I suggest adding something to the set up.

What I would encourage others to do, and clubs to set up with fans, is to offer ticket you are NOT using as part of your package back to the club to be used for organisations working with those in need. Or with kids. That, anyways, is my intention: encourage them to set up liasons with certain service organisations, and then get season tix holders who are not using seats to be able to give them up--as long as they are used wisely and for those who can really appreciate them. 

16 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

The club I think wants to keep season tickets at 4000. Considering we are up to almost 1000 memberships alone I feel were likely to sell out those 4000...

From what I remember they were hoping for 2000 memberships eventually, which fits with 4000 season tickets as two per member has been mentioned as a rule of thumb on that.

If the 500k thing on player salaries was accurate and means a general scaling back of budgets from what was anticipated a year ago when 6000 to 8000 was being talked about a lot on crowds, five out of seven should be in good shape to be at or near break even as things are shaping up at the moment.

They'll need at least eight doing that eventually to be stable, but that would be a very good start that would encourage rather than discourage expansion