HFX Wanderers launch/2019 offseason thread

4 minutes ago, Copes said:

This game will determine which ocean has better seafood (its ours by the way). It is without a doubt a must-win encounter.

Sashimi vs. salt cod? I don't think you want to go there. 

The Grand Banks were discovered by the Spanish, by the way (and let the real shit-talking begin!)

I am quite sincerely thrilled to have Halifax in the league and would love to see more teams in the Maritimes too, you deserve it. 

30 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I tried discussing Ling Cod with a Newfoundlander and he fully denied its existence. I do wonder, based on a recent trip to the aquarium with the kids, if there are rock fish we call "cod" (i.e. rock cod) that are not cod at all?

Probably. I don't know about any other specific examples, but ling cod is just a type of greenling that looks like cod. I believe technically the only "true" cod are Atlantic, Pacific and Greenland, but anything else in the Gadid family is also considered cod.

Finally, we have a date. 

I'm doing my bachelor party in Halifax in May. Is the sense from the folks on the ground that the first game will be a sellout? As much as I want to be there for the inaugural game, I wonder if I'm more likely to be able to get 10-12 seats in one area during the 2nd game of the schedule? 

Edited by Copes

23 minutes ago, Copes said:

Finally, we have a date. 

I'm doing my bachelor party in Halifax in May. Is the sense from the folks on the ground that the first game will be a sellout? As much as I want to be there for the inaugural game, I wonder if I'm more likely to be able to get 10-12 seats in one area during the 2nd game of the schedule? 

I would almost guarantee it'll be a sell-out, yeah.

52 minutes ago, Copes said:

Finally, we have a date. 

Having done bachelor parties at sporting events before I would suggest two things. One - get a suite/tent. Obviously allows the group to be together and mingle freely. Two - buy a bunch of tickets, maybe in the same general area or not, and just find a spot to stand as a group in one of the corners. Unless everyone is a hardcore the game will probably secondary to the drinking and camaraderie.

26 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Having done bachelor parties at sporting events before I would suggest two things. One - get a suite/tent. Obviously allows the group to be together and mingle freely. Two - buy a bunch of tickets, maybe in the same general area or not, and just find a spot to stand as a group in one of the corners. Unless everyone is a hardcore the game will probably secondary to the drinking and camaraderie.

Thanks for the tips - makes a lot of sense. Me and two friends have season tickets already, so we were thinking about talking to a rep to see if they could help us organize an area we can all be. A suite actually would be a great idea. 

Once we see the schedule we'll make that call. Appreciate it! 

https://hfxwanderersfc.canpl.ca/article/wanderers-bring-in-finesse-and-firepower-with-south-american-duo

On the verge of HFX Wanderers FC’s preseason training, the club are making an international splash, with the signings of two South American talents.

Colombian striker Luis Alberto Perea and attacking midfielder, Juan Diego Gutierrez from Peru, are being reunited as an attacking one-two punch with the Wanderers.

They formed a formidable partnership when they were teammates at Deportivo Universidad San Martin in Peru...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Alberto_Perea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Diego_Gutierrez

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Definitely more in line with the level of signing that is likely to provide a watchable level of pro soccer than some of the imports that were being announced earlier on, but Juan Diego Gutierrez appears to have played on loan in the Swedish third tier from a Danish second tier club as recently as 2017, which might make you wonder how well he does in adjusting to new surroundings outside Peru. The Colombian player probably has the better pedigree and appears to have gone to high school in Florida and to have had a very brief stint in MLS, if wikipedia is to be believed.

{Edit: oops the Peruvian player was in Superettan in 2017, so fewer questions about his pedigree in the sport}

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Superettan

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

13 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I hope the Wanderers play spoiler for all those who have them at the bottom of their projected league standings list. 

I honestly think that the one thing that is being under-valued with the Wanderers roster is familiarity. Hart seems to really be going out of his way to have his squad have people they will be comfortable with - either an on-field link or an off-field connection. Coupled with Hart's own coaching pedigree, and I think that your hope could be a very real reality! 

53 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Strong signings as usual in Halifax..two quality offensive players who played together..Hart really knows what hes doing

I haven’t been convinced by any of their signings, mainly because I don’t know them. 

I don’t know these guys either but wow, impressive. Both guys are at a good age and have consistently played at good levels.  

The lowest level Perea played at was in El Salvador and he did really well.. he may be a favourite for the golden boot.

Gutierrez is only 26 and has spent most of his career with a big South American club in Universitario.  Looks like he had a go at Europe in the last couple years and this will be his second trip abroad.. maybe he sees this as a bridge to MLS.  

Edited by Keegan