HFX Wanderers launch/2019 offseason thread

21 hours ago, FromAwaysHFX said:

Schaale & Bona have both signed contracts now. Imagine that'll be it from a defensive POV. Hocine, Schaale, Bona, De Carolis, N'sa, Sukunda, Langwa, John (if that's where they use him). Happy with that?

Have they announced this officially?

8 hours ago, Vince193 said:

Have they announced this officially?

No, no official announcement, but they've  both signed contracts (would imagine a U Sports developmental contract, but not certain). Not sure which of the other trialists have been kept on. 

Edited by FromAwaysHFX

11 hours ago, Copes said:

Where are you seeing the news on Schaale and Bona? I can't find anything official on who got contracts from the trialists. 

I don't mind our backline. I really think John is going to be a defensive midfielder and not a CB. I'm envisioning a Michael Bradley-type role. He will play deep, and he will use his experience to coordinate both the backline and the midfield. 

Seeing the comment about Schaale and Hocine. I definitely feel like Hocine is probably stapled on (just based on experience and physique) but do we think Schaale would beat out De Carolis?

Nothing official yet, but they've both signed some kind of contract, be it U Sports or otherwise. From speaking to a couple of people, I think they see De Carolis as more of a back-up LB. Might be reading between the lines a bit too much there though.

Edited by FromAwaysHFX

5 hours ago, DigzTFC said:

Any word on forwards on trial or rumors of other canadian strikers they are waiting on?

No idea, sorry! Only know the Schaale & Bona stuff because one of the trialists was told he wasn't being offered a contract because the two of them were signed and the club felt that was enough defenders. (Edit: they're also both in some of the player's social media posts from the squad trip to watch the basketball tonight)

Apparently there's something in the Chronicle about there being another 5 who've been kept on for a longer trial. Craig, Gaudet, Kennedy, Karklins plus one other.

Edited by FromAwaysHFX

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/in-depth/canadian-premier-league-wanderers-start-to-take-shape-290886/

HALIFAX, N.S. —

There may still be snow on the ground but training has already started for Halifax’s new professional soccer team.

HFX Wanderers FC opened its inaugural selection camp earlier this week at the Soccer Nova Scotia indoor facility, with a group of 33 players in town trying to make the team. Of those, 18 are already signed and the other 15 came on a tryout basis.

After two days, head coach Stephen Hart cut the overall number down to 22, with Paul Craig, Derek Gaudet, Rory Kennedy and Sam Karklins the only free agents still in the mix.

“We have those four here to get more of a look and there was one player from that group of 15 that we were interested in but he picked up an injury,” Hart said. “I’m going to wait until he is rehabilitated.

“We’re getting down to the last sessions of the week and overall it’s been good.”

Bayside’s Gaudet and Halifax’s Karklins and Kennedy are the only Nova Scotians still trying to play their way into a contract. Craig is from Charlottetown. But Hart also said he has not yet finished looking worldwide for talent.

“We’re still in a situation where we can sign players so I’m in no real hurry,” he said. “I have the working group that I want and I’m satisfied with that for now, at least until we find exactly what we’re looking for.

“The deadline for final selections isn’t until April so we have some time.”

Hart said it’s too early to identify any camp standouts, mainly because he’s still trying to get a clear sense of everyone’s strengths and weaknesses.

“To be honest with you, I’m still learning the players,” Hart said. “Some players have looked very, very good at times and others are still (adjusting). We have some players here who have never played on an artificial surface before and they’re still getting accustomed to that.”

And as Hart had hoped, the pace has been to his liking and fits well with what he wants from his team in its debut Canadian Premier League season.

“When I talk about speed, I’m not just referring to the ability to run fast,” he said. “It’s speed of thought, it’s foot speed — that sort of thing. So far along those lines we’ve looked good.”

The Wanderers open their season on April 28 against Pacific FC in a game on Vancouver Island. Their home opener will be May 4 against Forge FC of Hamilton at the Wanderers Grounds.

“Calum Ferguson a different option for us as a centre forward with only Tyler (Attardo) here now and no Stephen (Hoyle, who arrives in a few weeks),” explained Gale. “He’s got terrific movement, a little explosive power. Stephen Hart (of the Halifax Wanderers) had offered to have a look at him as well as we wanted to make sure he had a couple of options with the expense of the trip across. It turns out Steve is looking at more of a winger and we’re still looking at an attacking piece. He’s come on to us to see how he fits in with the culture and the lads.”

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/training-camp-recap-day-6

FWIW: As far as I know, Bona & Schaale* aside, only Sam Karklins has been offered a contract from the camp trialists. Would expect this means they're making one or two more signings from elsewhere.

Still look really light in attacking positions, particularly on the wing, so wouldn't be surprised they're after players who fit that sort of profile.

* Was under the impression he'd signed but apparently it hasn't been completely confirmed yet.

Edited by FromAwaysHFX

I definitely feel we are very, very light in attacking depth. We have lots of midfielders and defenders, but I don't know if many of the midfielders are attacking minded. 

Perhaps Hart is leaning towards playing our versatile, attacking-minded full-backs as our wide players, with a strong midfield and a lone striker up front? He talked a lot about players being able to play multiple positions. I don't know if I love it, but something like that might work? 

2019-03-18 Preseason.png

1 hour ago, Vince193 said:

Interesting that Yuma wasn't signed.

He might still get signed, but as far as I know he hasn't been offered a contract as of now. From what I've seen of him, he's a really, really good goalscorer, but doesn't offer too much else. Maybe that's why there are question marks.

Saying that, a friend of mine went to watch training today and said he thinks he saw Yuma hanging around. He wasn't involved on the pitch though.

16 minutes ago, KW519 said:

What are the chances this rumoured Atlantic CFL franchise piggy backs the Wanderers into a stadium share? 

I thought I read somewhere that the soccer team wasn't interested at the moment but I'm not 100% sure. I also thought it would of been a good idea.

Edited by MtlMario

2 hours ago, KW519 said:

What are the chances this rumoured Atlantic CFL franchise piggy backs the Wanderers into a stadium share? 

Very Very Very Slim but a lot closer the zilch.

The Wanderers would not even let them use the stadium for their exhibition game. Besides that the capacity is 6500 or so - well below what a CFL franchise need to be any way viable.