HFX Wanderers launch/2019 offseason thread

I guess Cascadia must count parentage for eligibility? He's born and raised in Scotland. Anyway, we don't even know if it's him yet.

I legitimately have no real guesses as to who it could be. So far every single Wanderers signing has been a big surprise for me, so I think this will be more of the same. However, I guess at this point it wouldn't shock me if we got another former Impact product.

Just in case anyone was wondering, Cascadia is not an official FIFA recognised nation. Any caps for them do not effect eligibility to play for Canada.  Cascadia played in the Conifa world cup tournament put on for disporas, unrecognised nations and regions with some individual identity etc. I'm pretty sure Yorkshire is also a Conifa member.

Calum Ferguson claimed in the Scottish media back in June that he was going into a player draft:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/inverness-caledonian-thistle/1498201/caley-thistles-charlie-trafford-backs-2026-world-cup-to-have-transformative-effect-on-football-in-canada/

...One of the CPL franchises will go to Trafford’s home city and another player with Caley Jags connections, Calum Ferguson, has said he will enter the league’s inaugural draft...

That's something that David Clanachan has also mentioned was happening in website stories, but doesn't appear to have been carried out publicly so far.

Vincent Lamy's 25 goals in 24 USSDA games is very impressive. It's kinda surprising that the Impact didn't sign him and send him to Ottawa. Lamy is the 5th player from the Montréal Impact 2017-18 U19 academy team to sign a pro contract, the others being Mathieu Choinière (Impact), Daniel Kinumbe (Impact), Clément Bayiha (Impact) and Raphaël Garcia (Valour FC).

We're starting to see a line-up coming together, I like it! 

Can we assume Hart will play a 4-3-3?

player  -----  Lamy  -----  Garcia

Rampersad  -------   Simmons 

John

player  -- Hocine -- player -- Sukunda

Williams

Obviously all of these players are most likely not pencilled in starters, but you can see is coming together. If the rumours of Ferguson, Alex De Carolis and Jelani Smith are true, we'd have an actually 11, with Lamy sliding to the left side and De Carolis and Smith at LB and CB. 

On 1/22/2019 at 10:22 PM, BradMack said:

We're starting to see a line-up coming together, I like it! 

Can we assume Hart will play a 4-3-3?

player  -----  Lamy  -----  Garcia

Rampersad  -------   Simmons 

John

player  -- Hocine -- player -- Sukunda

Williams

Obviously all of these players are most likely not pencilled in starters, but you can see is coming together. If the rumours of Ferguson, Alex De Carolis and Jelani Smith are true, we'd have an actually 11, with Lamy sliding to the left side and De Carolis and Smith at LB and CB. 

This isn't far off what I expect. I've been thinking based on the signings (and the desire for flexibility in roles, which can translate well into movement on the field) that we will see a 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2 with a narrow diamond. With these new signings I'm leaning more towards the former, as you suggest.

Edited by Copes

Look at this video available on you tube of simmons when he was at Dalkurd U19 two years ago, deployed as a deep lying pivot but appears to also join the attack when deemed appropriate. Albeit MP in Finland appear to have him playing both DM and No8 as per his shirt number last season 

8 hours ago, Chris 1976 said:

playing both DM and No8

Does soccer have numbered positions like rugby?  I've seen a few other mentions like "a creative number 10”, but I didn't think soccer did that. 

Edited by Tigers

On 1/25/2019 at 12:07 AM, Chris 1976 said:

Because squads are so big these days numbers become less identifiable to positions. But in old currency 

2. right full back

3. Left full back 

4 CB or DM

5 CB

6 DM or CB

7 Right wing 

8 Centre Mid

9 Striker 

10 attacking centre mid 

11 left wing

Very well done, that is almost exactly what they do here in lower divisions where teams have to line up 1-11 (though a new rule is changing that in Spain, allowing them to have fixed numbers for players to do a bit of merchandising at lower tiers). 

As an example, when he starts, Ballou is 11 for Barça B, where they have to take the 1-11.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Key tidbits:

"A major part of the agreement will see the association ensure that none of it’s sanctioned Nova Scotia Soccer League games will clash with Wanderers weekend home matches.

This means that no NSSL games will be played at the same time as a Wanderers match, allowing all soccer players and their families to be able to attend games, without missing their own."

But also: 

"Another central part of the deal will see the BMO Soccer Centre in Clayton Park become the training home base of the Wanderers.

The first ever training camp, prior to the new league’s spring kick-off, will take place at the facility, in addition to team practices during the season."

Edited by m-g-williams