HFX Wanderers launch/2019 offseason thread

59 minutes ago, HfxCeltic said:

Rumour is the first home game is May 4, so this makes sense.

So if that rumour is true, schedule we know so far is:

April 28th @ Pacific FC
May 4 vs ????
May 11 / 12 ??????
May 15 @ Vaughan
May 18 / 19 ??????
May 22 vs Vaughan

Oh my gosh its coming together! 

5 minutes ago, HfxCeltic said:

There it is! Figured it'd be early to make way for the larger announcement teased for later this afternoon. 

Don't know much about De Carolis, and Oxner is still pretty unknown to me as well, but looking forward to learning more. Does De Carolis beat out Zoom for a spot? Or do we have any idea? 

Edited by Copes

Alex de Carolis seems to be a left back:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/alex-de-carolis/profil/spieler/493348

Former club Umea are in the Swedish third tier and were close to being a promotion challenger last season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Division_1_(Swedish_football)

so he's coming from the sort of close but no cigar sort of level on clubs being fully pro that a lot of the players appear to be coming from, so CanPL should be a step up. Good left backs are difficult to find as fewer players are naturally left sided so it tends to be a problem position for a lot of clubs. That could make this an important signing in terms of putting a strong back 4 together.

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Alex de Carolis seems to be a left back:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/alex-de-carolis/profil/spieler/493348

Former club Umea are in the Swedish third tier and were close to being a promotion challenger last season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Division_1_(Swedish_football)

so he's coming from the sort of close but no cigar sort of level on clubs being fully pro that a lot of the players appear to be coming from, so CanPL should be a step up. Good left backs are difficult to find as fewer players are naturally left sided so it tends to be a problem position for a lot of clubs. That could make this an important signing in terms of putting a strong back 4 together.

Yes but what is there attendance?

If Halifax have really sold over 3000 full season tickets and hopefully they have there are likely to be a lot of games where you can add a zero on home crowds played in front of:

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/aveswe.htm

If you don't understand the significance of that, you don't understand the economics that drive the sport.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If Halifax have really sold over 3000 full season tickets and hopefully they have there are likely to be a lot of games where you can add a zero on home crowds played in front of:

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/aveswe.htm

If you don't understand the significance of that, you don't understand the economics that drive the sport.

We're sorry professor...forgot that you were the only person on here with any basic knowledge of economics. Why don't you try not talking down to everyone in the forum and instead apologizing to them all for your arrogant and inaccurate spin on absolutely everything pertaining to football and maybe some people on here would actually give a fuck what you have to say. I know it shouldn't but it still confounds me how you blurt anything out as fact and expect people to just accept it. Opinions are one thing but you go way beyond sir.

Still curious about the de Carolis versus Zoom question I asked earlier? Likely competing with each other for the LB spot? 

Also, the remaining 4 or 5 players that we will get (that aren't trialist or draft picks) have got to be offensive players, right?

6 minutes ago, Copes said:

Still curious about the de Carolis versus Zoom question I asked earlier? Likely competing with each other for the LB spot? 

Also, the remaining 4 or 5 players that we will get (that aren't trialist or draft picks) have got to be offensive players, right?

I think Carolis will play Left sided CB where he played last season in Sweden. Along with Hocine and John in a back 3. Sukunda and Zoom as overlapping full backs. Simmons as DM.  

16 hours ago, Copes said:

So if that rumour is true, schedule we know so far is:

April 28th @ Pacific FC

May 1 vs ???
May 4 vs ????

May 8 vs ???
May 11 / 12 ??????
May 15 @ Vaughan
May 18 / 19 ??????
May 22 vs Vaughan

Oh my gosh its coming together! 

Added in a couple of dates for you. ?

I suspect they will be making full use of those early midweek dates, given the potential number of matches to be played, particularly by the CL qualifier.

Most of Langwa's starts in serie d were as a winger and thats where he should be with his speed..de Carolis last season his starts were as cb..and just looking at it now in 2 seasons in the third tier of Sweden he wasnt able to be a starter there for most of a season..still should be a starter in the league with the level of signings

1 hour ago, Chris 1976 said:

I think Carolis will play Left sided CB where he played last season in Sweden. Along with Hocine and John in a back 3. Sukunda and Zoom as overlapping full backs. Simmons as DM.  

This actually makes tons of sense to me based on the signings we have seen. 

A 3-5-2 is very likely what we will play.

5 hours ago, Copes said:

This actually makes tons of sense to me based on the signings we have seen. 

A 3-5-2 is very likely what we will play.

Looks that way, yeah. The club seems to be collecting attacking full-backs & center-backs right now, or at least players that are comfortable in those roles even if it's not their first choice.

Available CBs: Hocine, N’sa, De Carolis, John, Schaale* & Bona*
Available FBs: Sukunda, De Carolis, John, Langwa, Bona*

*on trial.

Have also spoken to another player who will be on trial in March who was told he was viewed as a potential wing-back by Hart.

Looks like this to me:

Williams (GK) 

Langwa (LWB) N'sa or Schaale (RCB), Hocine (CB), De Carolis (LCB) Sukunda (RWB)

Simmons (DM), John (DM)
Rampersad (CM/AM)

Beyond that, it's difficult to tell. Garcia tends to play wide. Lamy, I don't know enough about but 25 in 24 games suggests he's just a pure goalscorer. Would expect only 2-3 more defensive additions, if that. 

Kouamé Ouattara is listed as a Canadian.  Lost his job.  Gambled on himself. Won a trip to the show.

HFX Wanderers FC @HfxWanderersFC

“What drives me the most is the idea that I can be a model for kids in Moncton." Kouamé Ouattara celebrating his move to the Wanderers with supporters at the Moncton Sportsdome. 150 people showed up  @soccerdieppe @soccernb @codiacsoccer @aiglesbleus @kouame36126692

1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

They'll need them to be. Their roster looks the most unimpressive by a long shot, mind you a lot of the players are unknowns, so they could also be the biggest surprise

Yeah I am incredibly excited to see HFX play. Mostly because I am a fan, but largely because I have no idea what to expect. 

Since HFX starts away to arguably the best squad, IMO better in almost all positions than Wanderers, it will be an interesting test.

As I see it, it is a must-win for Pacific (ok I'm a PFC supporter), because they have to use home field and experience to get early points; and not so critical for HFX, they might need more time to evaluate how well their signings will match up against the rest. I think you have to get into the season, get some home support to help you, and not go crazy in the first 4-6 weeks of play. 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Since HFX starts away to arguably the best squad, IMO better in almost all positions than Wanderers, it will be an interesting test.

As I see it, it is a must-win for Pacific (ok I'm a PFC supporter), because they have to use home field and experience to get early points; and not so critical for HFX, they might need more time to evaluate how well their signings will match up against the rest. I think you have to get into the season, get some home support to help you, and not go crazy in the first 4-6 weeks of play. 

Maybe its my bias, but my feeling is Halifax is going to be one of the best coached teams in the league (courtesy of Hart) and also one of the toughest to break down (courtesy of the defense-heavy signings, and our Keeper who I think is the best GK in the CPL right now). I think if  HFX can leave Pacific with a clean sheet it will be a huge win for the squad. To your point, I'd almost rather them face this game early, while Pacific's attackers are still working on developing the chemistry they will need to put a solid 1-2 punch together. 

Of course our defenders will need to find their chemistry too, but I think Hart pulling a spine from the same region (T&T) that contains our top-tier keeper, a Defensive midfielder, and two attacking players. John I think we'll see playing in a position where he can coordinate with Williams. Big question is definitely if our contingent of CBs can hold.

This is why I think the Wanderers are such a wildcard. I don't necessarily think we are the weakest team on paper as some people are suggesting. I don't think unknown = weak.

Edited by Copes

1 hour ago, Copes said:

This is why I think the Wanderers are such a wildcard. I don't necessarily think we are the weakest team on paper as some people are suggesting. I don't think unknown = weak.

Fair enough. I guess folks feel the T&T players are wildcards, but you are right they could walk in and make the core tick from the start. I would not like to see any team notably inferior to the rest in the first season. As for a team notably superior, I would like to see one!

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Loving that we're close enough to kickoffs that we've got must-win implications!