HFX Wanderers launch/2019 offseason thread

Gutierrez only had a handful of games last season in Peru.  He moved from one middle of the pack team to another mid year in search of minutes, but could not break the starting 11 on either team.  He's not quite up to the standard of being a difference maker in a competitive Peruvian league team anymore, but he still seems to have something to prove, so he will likely be a good fit in the CPL.

The Peruvian and Venezuelan leagues have plenty of diamonds in the rough these days, lets hope the CPL can get their scouting in order and make some money in player transfers from these markets.  

I really like these signings.  From Aways put the formation into perspective (more than likely its the one on the right).

If these are our big signings with the rest of roster decided by trialist, we don't have much depth at Striker so we will go heavy in the midfield.

image.png.94b963343d4f374794095babfedb36c1.png

18 minutes ago, masster said:

My one concern about these 2 guys is just the amount of teams they have played for. I always consider it a bit of a red flag when players bounce around so often.

It's very standard in South America, and frankly being journeyman is generally either just a necessity or it's a career choice; it rarely ever has anything to do with bad character.

17 hours ago, Copes said:

I honestly think that the one thing that is being under-valued with the Wanderers roster is familiarity. Hart seems to really be going out of his way to have his squad have people they will be comfortable with - either an on-field link or an off-field connection. Coupled with Hart's own coaching pedigree, and I think that your hope could be a very real reality! 

Almost all of the teams have players playing for them that have more familiarity playing with each other than the Wanderers do.

Pacific (WFC2)

Cavalry (Foothills)

York (L1O)

Forge (Sigma)

FCE (Academy)

So I don't think it is being undervalued. It is good that a few players have played together before, but they won't have nearly as much familiarity with each other as the other teams will

19 hours ago, FromAwaysHFX said:

For this who enjoy podcasts, episode 2 of the HFX Wanderers pod some friends and I make has just been uploaded. This one takes an in-depth look at the squad so far. Thanks!

https://www.fromaways.com/home/from-aways-podcast-e02-the-squad-the-schedule-and-the-spider-cam

For anyone considering giving this podcast a listen, definitely do. These guys are doing a solid job!

Not necessarily true on York

Abzi aparicio cox gasparotto murofushi porter silva thompson didnt play L1O

Adjei and Doner with Aurora 2016, Di Chiara and Gogarty Vaughan 2017, Springer Ricci Gogarty and Saleh with Vaughan 2018, Furlano and Rollocks TFC 2017, Estevez North Mississauga

In Halifax Sukunda and Hocine, Nsa and Lamy, TT players, latinos

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Couple of things with this: Hocine is the only out and out CB we have, so I'll be shocked if he isn't a starter. Elton John as part of a back-four is unlikely, given his height (5'7-5'9 depending on the website). He could perhaps work well in a back three though, where he'd be less exposed. Further forward, I'd be surprised if Ouattara starts. I think a Simmons-John pairing is much more likely. Or Simmons-Rampersad. Speaking of Rampersad, every clip, full-match or written report I've found involving him, he's always been played centrally. Usually quite deep, too. He's box-to-box so has the engine to start as a double pivot and then get up and down. Certainly have never seen him playing as a right winger. Doesn't really have the physical profile of that role. 

22 hours ago, Big_M said:

Not necessarily true on York

Abzi aparicio cox gasparotto murofushi porter silva thompson didnt play L1O

Adjei and Doner with Aurora 2016, Di Chiara and Gogarty Vaughan 2017, Springer Ricci Gogarty and Saleh with Vaughan 2018, Furlano and Rollocks TFC 2017, Estevez North Mississauga

In Halifax Sukunda and Hocine, Nsa and Lamy, TT players, latinos

I never said all of their players are from L1O. For the record, I also don't think York is going to be that good this year.

Sukunda and Hocine are much older than Nsa and Lamy and have never played with them.

Williams/John - Trinidad & Tobago, Central FC (2013-2014), North East Stars (2017)

Hocine/Sukunda - FC Montreal (2015)

Perea/Perez - Univ. San Martin (2012-2014)

N'sa/Lamy - Impact Academy

Rampersad/Garcia - FC Santa Rosa

There are not even 3 guys who have played together before. This doesn't scream chemistry. This is a few pairs that have played together before

22 hours ago, Ansem said:

Also is John planned to be used as a Defender? In his release article on the website he was praised for "strength in midfield and attack". Further, videos of him I watched suggested he plays a decent DM role. 

In my mind he'll be playing up further, and Hocine and De Carolis are most likely to be our CBs?

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

Issue is that if its Hocine and De Carolis that could be the weak spot but each team will have a weak spot going into the game as they have to start 6 Canadians..and that will be an important part of the analysis of the opponent

Starting 6 Canadians is not a problem in the CPL. On most teams your 6th and 7th foreign players are probably not as good as your  5th and 6th Canadians. I would expect and hope to see some teams start more than 6 Canadians on a regular basis.

Edited by Grandbloke

Surprised that a few guys I had pencilled in as guaranteed signings are being made to try out.  Really though, Canadians like Ferguson and Yuma have played at higher levels than some of these internationals who are being signed outright.  Maybe just some strategy on the part of Hart to get the team competitive ASAP. 

36 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Surprised that a few guys I had pencilled in as guaranteed signings are being made to try out.  Really though, Canadians like Ferguson and Yuma have played at higher levels than some of these internationals who are being signed outright.  Maybe just some strategy on the part of Hart to get the team competitive ASAP. 

Ferguson I definitely had pegged as a signing. Who else do you think should have been outright right signings?

8 minutes ago, Copes said:

Ferguson I definitely had pegged as a signing. Who else do you think should have been outright right signings?

I assumed one or both of Craig and Gaudet would be as it’s rare to have local players with pro experience.  Yuma of course having scored basically everywhere at a crazy pace and only 22 (seriously, what? Is he a problem?).  Also I thought they would have signed a draft pick besides Oxner.

What about Ibra Sanoh??? This guy was by far best talent at the game vs the young German side(along with Shaffelburg). Sanoh proved himself. I have no doubt he will be their last big signing, if not he will sign with another CPL team. Ibra is better than many players on that list above. Though many of those 15 players def have potential to sign..I can’t see HFX signing the 2 younger kids. I’ve never seen them play, but I’m assuming they’re not physically ready to play and make an impact at this level. Unless they want to sign to develop them. But I’d imagine they want more signings that can make an impact this first year to kick things off.