Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dub Narcotic

Rocco Romeo

Recommended Posts

Big Three

Dunn, Okello, and Romeo sign first pro deals

 
Rocco Romeo – Defender
 
Romeo is a central defender who has made 11 appearances in League1 Ontario this season while playing for TFC III. Romeo joined the Academy in 2014 coming from Woodbridge S.C. 
 
“It is a surreal experience for me. Playing for your hometown,” said the 17-year-old Romeo. “Getting to wear the shirt that everyone wears in Toronto is truly an unbelievable experience.”
 
“Rocco is a very talented distributor of the ball,” said Wray. “He is a very smart organizer in the backline.”
 
“He’s your more modern-day central defender who is technically very gifted,” added Dichio. “He can spray balls over 50-60 yards very well.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Romeo has previously committed to MSU.

This may be an unpopular view, but unless I was a can't miss soon to be MLS player, I'd go to the NCAA. An awful lot of players get stuck in USL forever and give up the NCAA option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blackdude said:

That's him alright.

That Costa Rican is the biggest p-ssy around. It really is no wonder why some people view our game as soft. We only have some players to blame


Since when is Rocco a shortened version of Antonio, by the way?

Edited by BCM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Soccerpro said:

Romeo has previously committed to MSU.

This may be an unpopular view, but unless I was a can't miss soon to be MLS player, I'd go to the NCAA. An awful lot of players get stuck in USL forever and give up the NCAA option.

It depends on position really.

Goalkeeper? Go to a great NCAA program over the USL.

Central defender? Go to a great NCAA program over the USL (at least for a season), unless you have a clear path to an MLS roster.

Anywhere else? The USL is better for development.

The thing about this specific case is that Romero wouldn't start at MSU as they have a Chicago Fire prospect and future first round MLS draft pick starting in central defense. Sitting a year in the NCAA isn't exactly an option for players hoping to play at the MLS level.

Edited by harrycoyster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

That Costa Rican is the biggest p-ssy around.

That's pretty tame by Nicaraguan or El Salvadorian standards. Unfortunately, our kids have to learn early not to retaliate against the bites, sucker punches, and shin-splittering tackles that come out of Central America.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

Romeo has previously committed to MSU.

This may be an unpopular view, but unless I was a can't miss soon to be MLS player, I'd go to the NCAA. An awful lot of players get stuck in USL forever and give up the NCAA option.

I was talking the other day with a colleague here in Barcelona, from California, whose son plays at a similar level as my kid. And he was saying sure, he was looking at NCAA scholarship options, as a way to keep him playing soccer and studying.

But when speaking to my son about this he argued, simply: first, if you want an education you should choose what to study and where to go to, regardless of a scholarship. Or stay close to home, where it's cheaper, you can still study, and have the family support you need to keep playing soccer in longer seasons in competitive adult leagues. 

 And if you want to play soccer, you should not go play a short 4 month season, sitting on your butt for 7, where as a freshman your playing time would be limited anyways. It is actually a negative blip in development. He argued that it would end up killing off more players than developing them competitively, while not giving them an education of their choice.

I had never thought it this way, and I think he could be right. 

It only makes sense if you don't care at all what you want to study, or have no options to continue competitively near home, or both. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

I know Duane Rollins is really high on this guy.

I thought i read somewhere he had interest from European clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was talking the other day with a colleague here in Barcelona, from California, whose son plays at a similar level as my kid. And he was saying sure, he was looking at NCAA scholarship options, as a way to keep him playing soccer and studying.

But when speaking to my son about this he argued, simply: first, if you want an education you should choose what to study and where to go to, regardless of a scholarship. Or stay close to home, where it's cheaper, you can still study, and have the family support you need to keep playing soccer in longer seasons in competitive adult leagues. 

 And if you want to play soccer, you should not go play a short 4 month season, sitting on your butt for 7, where as a freshman your playing time would be limited anyways. It is actually a negative blip in development. He argued that it would end up killing off more players than developing them competitively, while not giving them an education of their choice.

I had never thought it this way, and I think he could be right. 

It only makes sense if you don't care at all what you want to study, or have no options to continue competitively near home, or both. 

 

Agreed. I'm as pro education as you get, but at some point you either have to commit to one path or the other. Trying to split your focus just risks becoming mediocre in both your academic field and your sport. 

Unless you're American of course... seems like sports is the only way to a make university affordable for many down there. 

Pro sports is almost always a dumb risk, might as well go big or go home

Edited by Complete Homer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Agreed. I'm as pro education as you get, but at some point you either have to commit to one path or the other. Trying to split your focus just risks becoming mediocre in both your academic field and your sport. 

Unless you're American of course... seems like sports is the only way to a make university affordable for many down there. 

Pro sports is almost always a dumb risk, might as well go big or go home

Funny how I never really thought it through. If you are in Canada, you have some of the best education for the money in the world, same in strong European countries, with public prices in general for the best universities. Even with a scholarship it would cost you more to be in the States, just for expenses and travel and the like.

If you want to do something symbolic, then go to NCAA. I mean, almost all are doing a degree that is just as good in Canada: how many of these guys are doing bioengineering or artificial intelligence at Stanford? And if you are doing that, what the hell are you doing worrying about soccer, you are going to walk out of the degree into a well-paying job that puts you well above most early and even mid-career players in MLS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While this might be true for some, it isn't the case for many. 

Often, scholarships to the states are cheaper if you are not living with parents at university in Canada. 

UT, while your son raises some interesting thoughts, tthere is also the choice to try to go to a university in the states where you can get a scholarship and take the degree you want. There are a stupid amount of universities down there, that this isn't an overly difficult option to look into. 

Also, while the official playing season is only roughly four months, no players in any program sit around doing nothing for the rest of the year. The team still trains and plays exhibition games in the off season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

 And if you want to play soccer, you should not go play a short 4 month season, sitting on your butt for 7, where as a freshman your playing time would be limited anyways.

Your argument still stands and as I said Romeo wouldn't have started for MSU, so I think this is is the right call. But it is worth noting that almost all NCAA D1 soccer players play the 3 month PDL season in the summer, so in reality they get around the same amount of playing time they'd get from the 7 month USL season.

Edited by harrycoyster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW, those 3 got signed 2 years ago.  At the time it seemed like they were on the fast track..... so far Dunn-Johnson is the only one to see action with TFC.  TIme to bring up some youngsters Vanney.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol rocco romeo at 19 was sent to the danish second tier past the halfway point of the season and made his place as a starter then came back to tfc ii midseason and was a starter..boskovic was a backup in ottawa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big_M said:

lol rocco romeo at 19 was sent to the danish second tier past the halfway point of the season and made his place as a starter then came back to tfc ii midseason and was a starter..boskovic was a backup in ottawa

You conveniently left out some details there.

Yes, he did come back as a starter for TFC2 .... and than lost his spot. 1 start in the last 7 games of the season. That was due to performance. He wasn't really playing well. He was average at first, showed some good passing from the back, but over time he was getting beat to easily.

Boskovic started for TFC2 last season when he was here, in the USLC, not USL1. He went to Ottawa with a half chance of getting starts. It took a while to gain the manager's trust, but he did end up earning a starting spot. It was only unfortunate that he ended up getting hurt several times during those starting spells.

 

A side note. Can we not use the second division of Denmark as a measuring stick over another player, please? Canada fans need to stop this praising of players playing in really low tiers and hyping them up to oblivion because it's "Europe".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...