General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

12 hours ago, badname22 said:

OZ I believe 

Really kinda surprised about that. He can't coach all the teams maybe he'll get a staff together for each levels. He can teach his philosophy to them and they'll have to work on it with youth teams and such. Well OZ is really putting in the work if it's him coaching U-15.

21 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

Any players to watch in the Canada Games for Men Soccer?

Canada Games Men Tourney...

David Chung on AB is a player some are excited about. The BC team includes a few former Whitecaps youth players like Aaron Mulama. Mihai Hodut is a number 10 at UBC that will likely transfer to a D1 NCAA team next year. 

Well in my view I believe some if not most of these players can and will become part of the CPL.... In the long run helping create depth for CMNT in the future.

Which hopefully will open the season next year after WC.

Edited by Scorpion26

22 hours ago, Scorpion26 said:

Emmanuel Dolo from Newfoundland. Spent time in the Ottawa Fury academy before it shut down. One of the top scorers this season in the Newfoundland Challenge Cup. Has scored at ridiculous levels at every Club Nationals he's played at. Was involved in a couple of U-15 national ID camps a few years back.

He came to Newfoundland from Liberia I believe, as a 10 or 11 year old.

On 8/6/2017 at 2:21 PM, Scorpion26 said:

My (guitar) student Adam Benmousa is on the Quebec team who play in half an hour. I have never seen him play but it was interesting to follow his reports about trying out for the Quebec team, the friendlies they played, games he felt he played well or poorly in and then him finally being selected to the team. Unfortunately because of my teaching schedule I am probably going to miss most of the game tonight  (can watch about 30 minutes) and the other ones but it is really good that they are broadcasting them all.

Edited by Grizzly

Well I hope all these players have great tourney. When CPL does launch it will be a helpful situation for all these future players. Still a bit shocked at no second game next month hope this to be the last time and could be because OZ is going to coach U-15. If that's the reason OZ/CSA will have to put coaches and staff at all youth levels. It is a bit annoying for Canada to not get more games and it is not an excuse about other countries not wanting to play Canada. They can get a team to play just got make it happen.

About Jay Chapman.

55 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

Games against Jamaica and El Salvalor in Sept and Oct respectively. However why only one game when two could be played this is a must in my opinion. Two games during the FIFA dates, I know they can make it happen and it should be done. 

I've never understood this mentality. I'm completely okay with 1 game per break and more time on the practice pitch, especially when we have a coach who's been in charge for less than a year. Missing out completely of FIFA dates is infuriating but there's no irrafutable evidence that 2 games is better than 1.

34 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I've never understood this mentality. I'm completely okay with 1 game per break and more time on the practice pitch, especially when we have a coach who's been in charge for less than a year. Missing out completely of FIFA dates is infuriating but there's no irrafutable evidence that 2 games is better than 1.

Agreed

33 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Well I believe more game time is better compared to more training. Even if its a friendly teams want to win and this will help push the team chemistry plus more real game time gives us more chances to see players play international games. Coach can which players will be able to hang in the international games. More test against different team is better than having more practice. 

14 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

How come we are one of the few teams in the world that actually does this then? One of the reasons teams like Honduras, Panama, and TnT perform so well compared to us even though we arguably have a better squad is they play. These teams play at least 10-15 games a year and a good chunk of those are friendlies. They play these games and make their players gain chemistry, something our team has been lacking for years.

We have arguably the 4th best player pool in Concacaf but, our players never play enough together because A) We are too nice and want our A team players to miss all of our friendlies as we want their club careers to "flourish by avoiding international obligations" and B ) We don't play enough games a year. When the time comes for our A team to actually perform in WCQs and the Gold Cup they shit the bed because that is the first freaking game they played together all year

Edited by Guest

@canta15 yes correct...

Playing more games is more valuable compared to training. It is the most important thing for CSA to get correct more games against any opponents for CMNT players to play against to see where they stand and sometime surprise wins against  a top team will occur at home or away. Just more games is needed....

Well if we do end up playing EL Salvador in Oct, and get 1 more game in the Nov window, that will be 10 games for 2017. I would like to think CSA are doing what they can, and if OZ or Floro before him wanted 2 games per break they would be playing 2 per break.  

I do think we need more games to play the system a bit and manipulate the Fifa rankings (has been discussed elsewhere).  The 5 games we played in 2014 (a low fifa point year) will be coming off the rankings, and if we can get more games/positive results we can keep our ranking going up which will give us better seeds for next WCQ etc.  

@Bison44 That was a bad year in 2014...

However I do think the best of teams take advantage of all the chances for competition and I do believe Canada should be doing the same. Outside the FIFA date that's fine to get one game, but I think many of us want to see them play more games. This also will drive increase of new fans wanting to cheer their nation and bring out the veteran fans out to more games when home. Which is another thing that Canada needs to do is bring more home games throughout Canada.... 

Call up Canadasoccer.com

Call up MLSSoccer.com

Call up from the11.ca

Edited by Scorpion26

20 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Well if we do end up playing EL Salvador in Oct, and get 1 more game in the Nov window, that will be 10 games for 2017. I would like to think CSA are doing what they can, and if OZ or Floro before him wanted 2 games per break they would be playing 2 per break.  

I do think we need more games to play the system a bit and manipulate the Fifa rankings (has been discussed elsewhere).  The 5 games we played in 2014 (a low fifa point year) will be coming off the rankings, and if we can get more games/positive results we can keep our ranking going up which will give us better seeds for next WCQ etc.  

That's not how it works. They average the points won over the year. So there isn't a benefit to playing two friendlies rather than 1 friendly in terms of ranking. More competitive games helps because they are worth more points, so you can increase your average.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

That's not how it works. They average the points won over the year. So there isn't a benefit to playing two friendlies rather than 1 friendly in terms of ranking. More competitive games helps because they are worth more points, so you can increase your average.

Soooooo, more games help or not??  Is it better to having a better winning % than more total wins in a year??  Assuming eveything else is the same.    I get that quality wins over stronger opponents get you more points etc, bring average up.  One good win against a strong team and just dont play anymore games that year to bring up your rankings?? 

Edited by Bison44

21 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Soooooo, more games help or not??  Is it better to having a better winning % than more total wins in a year??  Assuming eveything else is the same.    I get that quality wins over stronger opponents get you more points etc, bring average up.  One good win against a strong team and just dont play anymore games that year to bring up your rankings?? 

I'm not an expert, but I think it's a bit tough to come up with one easy to understand rule like more games or less games. It gets complicated with game dropping out of the last 12 months (so being devalued), or it could be dependent on your record in competitive games, etc.

But generally I would say it's better to have a better winning % than total wins in a year. Like if you play all your friendlies against team x, it's better to win 3 out of 4 games against team x than it is to win 4 out of 8 games. You would get y points for a win against that team, and you get a 0 for each loss, regardless of who you lose to. So the first scenario would get you 3y/4, and the second would get you 4y/8 (which is y/2).

Your example of playing one highly ranked team 1 time could do something like this. Let's say you get 500 points for that win. That would be your average for the last 12 months for a whole year. But then when it moves into the next period (13 to 24 months) it's weighting is halved, so you would now only get 250 points for that win. However, if you had a team that was getting, say, an average of 300 points every month, then that team would go from 300 points 450 points after 12 months (because of 150 points for their halved 13 to 24 month period, + 300 points for the most recent 12 months). So the team in the 1 game example would have a higher ranking for a year, but then would be much lower in the following year (at least until they get another single game win for their second year).

I hope I didn't make this even more confusing.