General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

40 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

They had 20K against Honduras this year and that's a typical turn out.

They also had 10k~ for Peru last year and 2k~ for Ecuador this year in New York. No idea what they had for Armenia but it was likely under 10k. They're a very very fickle draw.

I'm not sure how they do in Texas (not all number are public) but they play there a lot and did do 10k against Olimpia there this year. Given it was a big club vs a nation it's hard to read that

38 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

I hear El Salvador don't draw well for friendlies that aren't against latin rivals.

Yes, they are a fickle as fuck draw but playing in the US saves everyone money

Edited by matty

27 minutes ago, matty said:

They also had 10k~ for Peru last year and 2k~ for Ecuador this year in New York. No idea what they had for Armenia but it was likely under 10K

New York is the Ecuadorian diaspora capital, so the 5000 (not 2000) turnout was on them.

2 hours ago, matty said:

It's in the USA because $$$

Likely will see 2 or 3 in Canada next year.

Which instead dividing it between two it's going to be divided for three... Canada is a growing soccer country and has its own resources to host games no need to have the USA. El Salvador ok maybe I can understand, but Canada come on seriously host your game and that's all. Anyways it's done and set so just hope to see more players called in and perhaps some players we didn't expect join Canada...

Also would of been nice to see Canada play tonight against Jamaica why not make it a two game series.... oh well....

Just now, Scorpion26 said:

Which instead dividing it between two it's going to be divided for three... Canada is a growing soccer country and has its own resources to host games no need to have the USA. El Salvador ok maybe I can understand, but Canada come on seriously host your game and that's all. Anyways it's done and set so just hope to see more players called in and perhaps some players we didn't expect join Canada...

To host a friendly you are responsible for everything (hotels, travel, stadium, ect.) and it costs a fair bit, neutral games are often either paid for by the host or shared evenly by both parties (US venues, I've heard from an FA rep, will pay to host and they pay pretty well).

And again, we've hosted 5 friendlies so far this year and 1 is coming up. This has been a good year for friendlies being played in Canada.

6 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

Also would of been nice to see Canada play tonight against Jamaica why not make it a two game series.... oh well....

I agree this is the only real issue I see with the CSA this year. All the one game camps. 

3 hours ago, matty said:

To host a friendly you are responsible for everything (hotels, travel, stadium, ect.) and it costs a fair bit, neutral games are often either paid for by the host or shared evenly by both parties (US venues, I've heard from an FA rep, will pay to host and they pay pretty well).

And again, we've hosted 5 friendlies so far this year and 1 is coming up. This has been a good year for friendlies being played in Canada.

I agree this is the only real issue I see with the CSA this year. All the one game camps. 

Could always add more, but of course would like to see CMNT play games throughout ConCaCaf, Conmebol, Europe, and what not more games is my preference overall same as you. 

Houston is a pretty major airport, perhaps it is partly there in order to make the travel aspect easier?  And though we have recently drawn well at home, the possibility of 10k in Houston maybe a more enticing possibility than 20k in a Canadian city.  And there's no guarantee of those numbers, I know, but the chance is what they're looking at.  October in Canada can go either way, in most parts.

Maybe they're just mailing this one in, calling it an away game, and hoping like hell they can draw a decent crowd?  Or maybe the CSA office is incapable of pulling off another home friendly - I don't imagine they have hundreds of staff, and maybe they're all overworked?

Perhaps we can think of this one like outsourcing, in that they have a guaranteed bottom line, but that guarantee comes at the cost of greater profits. 

I'm ok with this one.

Just now, dsqpr said:

This is something I don't understand. If revenue would be higher in Canada then the only way to lose more money would be if costs go up by an even greater amount. Would this be the case? And if so, why?

I've explained a bit before but when you host a friendly have to pay for your opponent's travel and accommodation on top of your own. Neutral games you only pay for yourself and a lot of US stadiums apparently will cover expenses so it can cost you a great deal less than playing at home.

Given that Vancouver and Toronto were busy with CFL and Montreal didn't draw well earlier this year, it's possible CSA felt this game would fail to justify its cost.

15 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Screenshot_20170906-151316.png

http://www.wftv.com/sports/orlando-citys-will-johnson-arrested/604123544

According to a police report, Johnson and his wife got into an argument late Tuesday night.

Johnson tried to record the argument, but his wife grabbed the phone, police said.

The report said Johnson then, "Tackled her by wrapping both of his arms completely around her waist. (His wife) fell to the ground and hit the right side of her head on the brick patio. (She) also scrapped her right knee, left hand and right arm from the fall."

His wife told police she and Johnson are going through a divorce.

The couple’s two children did not witness the fight, police said.

18 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Surely US Stadiums would only cover your cost if they expect to make a profit in the end. I can understand saving on the cost of the other team but if they are willing to pay their own way to play in the US then you would think something could be arranged along the lines of us paying only the extra cost of a longer flight. But if the revenue here would actually be lower then it makes sense.

Dude I've told you all the info I have on this, which comes from a few FA reps around CONCACAF.

The only thing I can speculate on why the US stadia pay is because they need to justify their existence, and use of taxpayer money, by booking international friendlies to add dates to their calendars on top of the 17~ games the MLS tenant plays.

4 hours ago, matty said:

Dude I've told you all the info I have on this, which comes from a few FA reps around CONCACAF.

The only thing I can speculate on why the US stadia pay is because they need to justify their existence, and use of taxpayer money, by booking international friendlies to add dates to their calendars on top of the 17~ games the MLS tenant plays.

That's interesting information and yes they can make more money if US stadiums are paying makes sense, but you know come on just play in Canada for creating new fans and having games for current fans to go to watch with family and friends. However its all good guess we should all move on...

W. Johnson in serious trouble which sucks and damn both Canadian players with some issues this season for Orlando that really sucks. 

Just asking opinion may not happen, but if OZ goes 3-5-2 with Larin and AJH... What do some of you think? AJH is a creative goal scoring type striker that I think can help sneak in Larin to goals like he did for Osorio. Could AJH play wing?

Edited by Scorpion26

1 hour ago, Scorpion26 said:

That's interesting information and yes they can make more money if US stadiums are paying makes sense, but you know come on just play in Canada for creating new fans and having games for current fans to go to watch with family and friends. However its all good guess we should all move on...

W. Johnson in serious trouble which sucks and damn both Canadian players with some issues this season for Orlando that really sucks. 

Just asking opinion may not happen, but if OZ goes 3-5-2 with Larin and AJH... What do some of you think? AJH is a creative goal scoring type striker that I think can help sneak in Larin to goals like he did for Osorio. Could AJH play wing?

Our center backs are way too shit for us to rely on them to hold the back.

Between Tabla, Cristante, Ferreira, and Tomori, who would be the most important to us?

I can't say I've seen all of these guy play but I'm thinking:

1. Ferreira
2. Cristante
3. Tomori
4. Tabla

We're really weak at CB so Ferreira can step in and at least give us one solid starter. Midfield is the least of our worries going forward but a Serie A player doesn't hurt and Cristante is still pretty young. Tomori is looking unlikely to join us after switching over to England but a Ferreira-Tomori CB pairing would be awesome.

1 hour ago, Bdog said:

Between Tabla, Cristante, Ferreira, and Tomori, who would be the most important to us?

I can't say I've seen all of these guy play but I'm thinking:

1. Ferreira
2. Cristante
3. Tomori
4. Tabla

We're really weak at CB so Ferreira can step in and at least give us one solid starter. Midfield is the least of our worries going forward but a Serie A player doesn't hurt and Cristante is still pretty young. Tomori is looking unlikely to join us after switching over to England but a Ferreira-Tomori CB pairing would be awesome.

I think having all four would be important to create depth and meaning more players competing for starting spot on CMNT. OZ is speaking to three for sure and I'm not sure about Tomori, but if he is let us hope he can convince all four to join. 

@dsqpr They didn't play bad, but at same time Jamaica wasn't doing much going forward. Still would like to see Didic get a chance that game or well at least if they had a second game to play. I'm sure we got some other youngsters coming up we might get surprised to see. NCAA defenders we should be on the look out for? Usually would say College does well at developing good defenders...