General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

3 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Why don't we do both ? We are allowed 2 games per window. WoW what  revolutionary idea LOL. OZ came out and said we need to play better  competition. I wonder why he said that. 

We will get better competition if we get a better ranking...you don't have much leverage when you have been ranked around around 100 for some time.

6 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Why don't we do both ? We are allowed 2 games per window. WoW what  revolutionary idea LOL. OZ came out and said we need to play better  competition. I wonder why he said that. 

We will be doing both. The nations league won't take up all the international windows, but being full on against it is idiotic

31 minutes ago, canta15 said:

No its just one idiot who doesn't know better

My apologies, I just saw the amount of negative comments about the Nations League and assumed it was the general sentiment (without realizing it was all the same user)

30 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Of course we need to play better competition, but most of the better competition you're listing right now is out of our league. Right now we aren't nearly a top 40 team, so how would a top 40 team benefit from playing us. There's two sides in negotiating friendlies, not every team is gonna want to play us.

This regularity in games will be a breath of fresh air as opposed to the past neutral venued friendlies vs Mauritania.

Edited by Pottsy3

My view on it, is that it will take away spots that we can play big nations. With a league you per schedule times to play and against teams you are ranked with. There's no freedom. Yes it helps with getting games but not against top teams. Mexico, United States and  Costa Rica are the only top teams in CONCACAF. 

We can beat CONCACAF teams. We beat  Honduras at home and El Salvador in last World Cup  qualifier. If we won or tied   Honduras  in Honduras we would be in the Hex right now simple. And we lost by 1 goal. Also we had Floro in charged who played 6 CB at times. Look at our record since Floro left. We lost to  Jamaica by one goal and we had our chances but Blake slammed the door that happens.  Anything can happen in a one game knockout. 

Yes our player pool can be better and stronger. But players is not the main issue. We have good players. Also  i'm going to go on a limb and say  I bet those duel nationals told Oz "Canada needs to play against top nations before we join. Because him going out and stating that goes  against with what the CSA has said before we need to play more CONCACAF. 

Edited by SpecialK

6 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

If we pay,  they will come

When the US played friendlies against Italy, Brazil and Germany, those countries played B-teams because they wanted their own players challenged. And the US is a top 40 team. No top 40 country is going to want to play Canada right now, just as we don't want friendlies against teams that are 50 places in the FIFA rankings below us. We aren't good competition, regardless of the minimal amounts of money that are involved in friendlies. 

7 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Are better then almost every team in concacaf. 

The question remains: Why on Earth do we deserve to play perennial European World Cup teams when we haven't even been to the Hex in 20 years?

If the Nations League groups are 6 per level and parsed by FIFA rankings, that puts us in a group with Honduras, Jamaica, T&T, Guatemala and El Salvador. That's really good competition for us, gives us the experience we need in Central America, and puts us in a position to get promoted into a group where the majority of games are against Mexico, the US or Costa Rica. 

I'm not sure there is a country that benefits more from the Nations League than Canada.

Love the  metaphor 

question why in past have we struggled? Not smart enough ( talent ) , our tutor/teacher was a fuck up ( coach issues), we party too much and didn't study( lack of prep games) ? 

I truly believe it wasn't because we don't have the talent, I believe it's because we didn't play enough games and fucked up coach and style. 

Now that's changed! And you must agree if we do get those duel nationals we would be scary. 

So if we beat Jamaica in Canada does that change your view on us ? 

When we tied Brazil who played there top guys, pretty good team we had right but didn't make it into the World Cup ? Why ? Also because we didn't make it in to the World Cup did that put that team into the shitty  category ? 

Edited by SpecialK

6 hours ago, canta15 said:

Canada's u20 team had favourable performances against England in 2 staright games and they didn't qualify out of their region. Playing against top 40 opposition doesn't do shit if you can't figure out how to beat teams from your own confederation

Yes.  We tried this in the 2000's era.  Following the Gold Cup cup win 2001.  People were clamouring for playing more of the top sides on the planet.  And for a while there, we did for the first time.   Looking back, i think it did more harm than good.  

Against many of these sides we were reduced to having to bunker down to avoid getting the score run up against up.  Many players didnt get touches of the ball.   What benefit does that do for you when the kind of sides we have to beat to qualify for thw WC are Likes of Honduras, Cost Rica and Jamaica?  

45 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I truly believe it wasn't because we don't have the talent, I believe it's because we didn't play enough games and fucked up coach and style. 

Now that's changed! And you must agree if we do get those duel nationals we would be scary.

No, its because we dont have that kind of talent.  Thats not a bad thing given that we play in Concacf because neither does the US nor Mexico.  Thats not being negative, thats being realistic. 

Geez, just look at the lineup that some of these sides could field.  Look at the profile of those players, then look at ours.  Doesnt that tell you something? National teams in soccer (or any team sport for that matter) are not places to develop players and talent.  You have to take what you have (hopefully the best you have) and you play friendlies to determine things like whether player A is a better fit at certain spot than Player B.   Its also to develop a chemistry which makes you play better as a team.  Its not going to make you better so you can compete with world powers in the game by converting your second div pros into first division superstars that are Barca, Real Madrid and Juventus.

You can better achieve the objective of detremining whose better amongst player A or player B by playing sides like Jamaica and Estonia than playing Germany and Holland. 

Edited by Free kick

I'm all for friendlies, low or high quality opposition.  Hate to break it to you Special K, but we are not strong in all position, even with upcoming youngsters.  We have great prospects, still have an inability to score witg our forwards, but no No.10 in our midfield who dominates and can score.  Bustos was supposed to be one, but he's slow and can't track back fast on counters.  Right now, getting friendlies against CONCACAF minnows is up out alley to try various playeds and see where they fit in the grand scheme of things.  The Gold Cup, WCQ or Copa America is where you should bring your strongest squad and see how good your top players are against world class.  If had to play Nicaragua, Guatemala, Cayman Islands, Virgin Islands or even Faroe Islands, I'm all for it.  Until we qualify consistently to World Cups, we shouldn't upgrade our opponents.

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

Your logic seems to be "we're struggling at community college so instead of studying more lets drop out and say 'fuck it let's try Harvard maybe that'll change the situation'"

Yes, this is another good way of putting it :)

8 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think top footballing nations will play us because of money. Our country has resources and playing top teams in Vancouver or Toronto would draw big interest. We need to pay them to come here. Maybe overpay, whatever it takes 

The only national teams that would be HUGE draws here (Italy, England, France, etc.) would make more money playing in the US. And they don't! Why? They want to play teams on their level.

6 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

The bottom line is that we desperately need more COMPETITIVE fixtures, both for player development and FIFA ranking points, and the CONCACAF Nations League would give us that. Hence it is a good thing.

Potential friendlies against Brazil, Germany, Spain, and the like would be great but they are just pie in the sky.

At this stage in our development, I'd question how bunkering for 90' against Brazil so we only lose 2-0 even helps us. But I agree with everything you said.

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Teams like Colombia, Croatia, Chile, Serbia, Scotland, Korea etc are good teams to play and would be big draws.  It doesn't need to be Brazil and Spain 

Those are good teams to play.  I say Brazil because OZ is saying Brazil. Also we have good record against Brazil haha 

10 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Teams like Colombia, Croatia, Chile, Serbia, Scotland, Korea etc are good teams to play and would be big draws.  It doesn't need to be Brazil and Spain 

well we have played those teams over the last few years..

Edited by mpg_29

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

You're underrating a few of those sides. 

Here is what we learned from that period of around 2000-2008 (more or less) where we played many of the top sides globally.  To my recollection we didnt get any results.  There weren't professional opportunities that arose for any of our players from them. And thirdly, it revealed that some of the toughest challenges presented we not necessarily from who you would expect.  Thus suggesting that many of these sides playing against us didnt take those matches serious and some of those players didnt put in thier best effort. Which again, undermines the purpose of these games and whole program's reputation. 

to give you an example, going by my recollection only, i recall a game against Finland whereby i thought we got over-run and outclassed.   Yet Finland is not considered a world power.  Then on the other hand, i recall a game versus Spain, where we actaully looked like we were far less outclassed (and actually had some moments of good play) unlike our match against Finland.  I recall a similar occurance in a game versus Portugal.   So what does that tell you?  

I missed one, against agentina.  I still havent watched that one game from a while back.   I was warned by a few voyageurs not to given that i was told it was pretty ugly.  Hence, you have other issues of setting the program back a few years from a reputation standpoint. 

Yet after all these games against the likes of Germany, Brazil, italy, portugal, holland, Spain  and many more that i have missed mentioning,  How did that help Against cCRC AND Honduras in WCQ?

Edited by Free kick

14 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

well we have played those teams over the last few years..

And we have done well against them, so let's keep going with good tough competition. 

Oh goody we can beat the shit of  out Bermuda with our B&C team. How does that help our A team and the how our program looks to the world. We are hosting the World Cup 2026 and World Cup  qualifying will start for 2022 in just about less than 2 years. 

Here you go Scotty Arfield , St.kitts so you can pat your stats.  And don't tell me they wouldn't do that because they did it for the African trip.  They played the B team against Morocco and lost 4-0 and they played the regulars against Mauritania the game before and won 4-0

Edited by SpecialK