General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

They have a couple short vids on the Can soccer twitter, they talk to Didic, Ozzie and Kaye.  Kaye himself admits he was surprised to be where is is already.  It sure helped his form/confidence in the USL though.  

Anyone notice the giant piles of brand new Umbro gear the boys are picking through in the OZ one? I always wondered what and how they distributed all that stuff and I guess they just grab what they want! Pretty sweet!

6 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Million dollar question: Why does James Pantemis keep getting called up to the senior squad? 

4 hours ago, SpecialK said:

I don't understand that either, there are so many other/better options like:

Julien Latendresse-Levesque

Tomer Chencinski

Sebastian Breza

Callum Irving

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

...or maybe James Pantemis is a promising young keeper?

This is literally the second time he's been called up. But most of the other keepers mentioned do have a club and get playing time they'd be missing out on with the national team. More importantly, as the third keeper he's likely not going to play against Jamaica and it's primarily just an opportunity for exposure and training that the talented young keepers with clubs don't need nearly as much.

20 minutes ago, Zem said:

This is literally the second time he's been called up. But most of the other keepers mentioned do have a club and get playing time they'd be missing out on with the national team. More importantly, as the third keeper he's likely not going to play against Jamaica and it's primarily just an opportunity for exposure and training that the talented young keepers with clubs don't need nearly as much.

Can someone please explain the FIFA rules with national players and clubs. I always thought unless a player  declines the invitation, during a FIFA window clubs have to release the player? if I'm wrong please explain the rule. 

41 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Can someone please explain the FIFA rules with national players and clubs. I always thought unless a player  declines the invitation, during a FIFA window clubs have to release the player? if I'm wrong please explain the rule. 

There's legal and then there's a practical part. We are not in the middle of qualifying for anything and sometimes it's better to retain a decent relationship between Oz, the club and not having to have a player make the choice to come across the Atlantic to play a friendly or stay and rest/train with the club.  

43 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

During FIFA windows clubs must release players to national teams if said national team has a fixture, friendly or otherwise. However, it is pretty common for teams to ask players not to leave the club for "unimportant games" as it effects the quality of training and opens a club's players up to needless injuries. So for many players, particularly in Europe, leaving the team for a national friendly hurts your standing within the club.

It doesn't only apply to fringe players. Recently USMNT and Mexican national team players like Fabian Johnson and Miguel Layun have signed news contracts then came out to say they will only accept call-ups to national team games in competition. Clubs are looking to keep their players and throwing a little extra money at them to not accept what they view as meaningless national team call-ups is a good way of doing that. 

Remember the comments from Marcus Habers club (Crewe?), complaining about how he was always gone on international duty.  Its not all cut and dried, you cant complain about no CDN keepers getting regular minutes and then pull the guys getting minutes for every camp and friendly.  Plenty of the lower leagues are guys are in, play right through the international breaks.  

I get you gonna balance national duty and club and friendly vs real competition . But for example Breza was not allowed to play in the U20 tournament because Palermo said no we need you here. See i don't understand that, CONCACAF u20 was a big deal and we needed our best u20 goalie and we got shafted. 

If we play England, we should have our BEST on the field  regardless what club they play for. 

30 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I get you gonna balance national duty and club and friendly vs real competition . But for example Breza was not allowed to play in the U20 tournament because Palermo said no we need you here. See i don't understand that, CONCACAF u20 was a big deal and we needed our best u20 goalie and we got shafted.

The u20 tournament wasn't in a FIFA window, so clubs don't need to release players. Every country was missing a bunch of players because of that, we didn't get "shafted". IIRC the US and Mexico each had like 5-6 major players not get released.

2 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

The u20 tournament wasn't in a FIFA window, so clubs don't need to release players. Every country was missing a bunch of players because of that, we didn't get "shafted". IIRC the US and Mexico each had like 5-6 major players not get released.

First team players not being released is understandable but in the case of Breza it seems we were shafted unless he was needed for the bench.

10 minutes ago, Keegan said:

First team players not being released is understandable but in the case of Breza it seems we were shafted unless he was needed for the bench.

I'm on mobile so I'm not in position to look it up, but I believe the US was denied Weston McKennie, Haji Wright, Nick Tataguie, Josh Perez, Carter-Vickers, Matt Olosunde and Isaiah Young...and Carter-Vickers was the only one even making his teams bench at that point. And I don't think Mexico sent any players getting pro minutes. So while we were missing one or two players, the big teams have it far worse. It isn't like forcing teams to release players to the u20 tourneys would help us. 

Edited by harrycoyster

18 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I just look up breza timeline, he was called to Palermo first team during that time of U20. 

But wow holding a key tournament in not a FIFA window, CONCACAF  incompetence or brilliance ? Haha

i wish someday soon, they get rid of CONCACAF and  create a new  confederation or add to South America or both.

Edited by SpecialK

1 minute ago, SpecialK said:

I just look up breza timeline, he was called to Palermo first team during that time of U20. 

But wow holding a key tournament in not a FIFA window, CONCACAF  incompetence or brilliance ? Haha

i wish someday soon, they get rid of CONCACAF and  create a new  confederation or add to South America or both.

The thing is the tournament is a month long and needs to be done by the summer because that's when the u20 World Cup is. There is really no place to put it where teams would be forced to release players.

3 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

So for the game this weekend I assume they haven't sold any tickets on the east side? From 104-111? 

I believe they are selling all sections except for 201-211 and 312-317. And as of right now they are only selling the first ten rows of 219-227. 

2 minutes ago, theaub said:

Nah pretty sure the lower level east side is sold out?

1 minute ago, harrycoyster said:

I believe they are selling all sections except for 201-211 and 312-317. And as of right now they are only selling the first ten rows of 219-227. 

Okay then we'll definitely have a good turnout for this one. I was checking the map on Ticketmaster and there's not one single ticket available in 104-111, which I thought was odd. Normally you see 1 or 2 blue dots here and there in the middle of different sections.

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

So for the game this weekend I assume they haven't sold any tickets on the east side? From 104-111? 

Section 104 and 105 are reserved for Jamaican supporters. In the past a lot of the east side tickets were sold through the youth clubs. I know i got some that way when I was involved at that lavel.

Edited by to70