General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

Am I the only one who thought James and Jakovic were pretty solid in the Jamaica friendly?

I thought they both had some solid stuff but that play where Williams was left unmarked with that header and really should have done better with it was one where they let us off the hook and may have changed the complexion of the game going into the second half.  Regardless, the position needs bona fide competition in order to make it better.

2 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Am I the only one who thought James and Jakovic were pretty solid in the Jamaica friendly?

Jakovic also had a very decent Gold Cup and James seems to be getting steadily better. No depth to speak of but I'm a lot more optimistic about our defence than I was before the Gold Cup.

I thought James looked reliable but felt Jakovic seemed a little dusty in that game. Jakovic did look good in the Gold Cup I agree. Sadly he's in his 30s

3 hours ago, Bdog said:

Between Tabla, Cristante, Ferreira, and Tomori, who would be the most important to us?

I can't say I've seen all of these guy play but I'm thinking:

1. Ferreira
2. Cristante
3. Tomori
4. Tabla

We're really weak at CB so Ferreira can step in and at least give us one solid starter. Midfield is the least of our worries going forward but a Serie A player doesn't hurt and Cristante is still pretty young. Tomori is looking unlikely to join us after switching over to England but a Ferreira-Tomori CB pairing would be awesome.

Not ranking Tomori cause I think he's highly unlikely anytime soon (he's 19, has played for Chelsea, has done very well in the Championship, just won a U-20 World Cup and has Nigeria as an option). If I felt we had a chance #2

Note: Haven't seen all play

Cristante is number one. He's a proven Serie A guy at 22 who came up big for Atalanta last year in a very short time. He looks to be a guy that'll be a long term top flight player in Europe (or China) and could be a game changer for Canada. He's also a player that, along with Arfield and Hoilett, could catch other fence sitters' eyes.

Ferreira is runner up because we do need another CB and he was able to hold the post with Portugal's #4 team and won a cup doing so. Sadly he's got the injury bug and the oldest of everyone listed.

Tabla is number three because he's young and seems to have a bright future but could also be a massive bomb. He kind of derailed his season with his ego for a while but seems back on track.

I'd add Ferdi Kadioglu to your list. He's 17 and playing mid for NEC in the Dutch 2nd tier. Last year when NEC were in Eredivisie, he scored 4 goals in 27 games so he might have something special. He is also eligible for Netherlands and Turkey.

David Wotherspoon is another worth mentioning. He's the oldest (27) but has I think 275 Scottish Premiership games with Hibs and St. Johnstone under his belt over the last decade. He's talked a lot about Canada in the press so he seems to want to play. Might be a good guy to have as Hutchison, Johnson and De Jong depart the team.

Edited by matty

1 hour ago, Scorpion26 said:

@matty Do you think next month we see Elva being called up CMNT? He's been doing well for his team and maybe well enough to get to VFB Stuttgart 1st team. 

Actually maybe a loan to 2nd tier in Germany would be good as well. 

as a VFB fan, Hannes Wolf(manager) isn't a fan of disrupting the first and second teams. As Elva wasnt added to the first team in pre season, I dont expect him to get any first team minutes(or bench) until the winter break then maybe he might get some bench appearances.

2 hours ago, Scorpion26 said:

@matty Do you think next month we see Elva being called up CMNT? He's been doing well for his team and maybe well enough to get to VFB Stuttgart 1st team. 

Actually maybe a loan to 2nd tier in Germany would be good as well. 

I unno He's playing 4th tier on a B-team so I'd be iffy on him (I want the MNT to avoid anything under tier 3) but I haven't seen him play ever. Maybe he'll go to Camp Poutine 2018 when we play Aruba or someone along those lines.

Edited by matty

Personally I would love to see this kid in Camp. He can play in so many positions, very  versatile player. He played well in the U23 camp in Qatar and is having a great start to the season. In 8 games 2 goals and 6 Assists and 1 yellow card. Maybe a call up and playing with better players like Hoilett, Davies, Cavallini, Larin, Arfield,  Hutch he can really show his skill and talent. It could help him make the first team .

Also he's only 21 and he has played 21 games in Germany 3rd division ( I think that was last year)

heres the highlights of his goals in scored this season so far, 2 in one game.

Edited by SpecialK

6 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Personally I would love to see this kid in Camp. He can play in so many positions, very  versatile player. He played well in the U23 camp in Qatar and is having a great start to the season. In 8 games 2 goals and 6 Assists and 1 yellow card. Maybe a call up and playing with better players like Hoilett, Davies, Cavallini, Larin, Arfield,  Hutch he can really show his skill and talent. It could help him make the first team .

Also he's only 21 and he has played 21 games in Germany 3rd division ( I think that was last year)

heres the highlights of his goals in scored this season so far, 2 in one game.

I skipped the first part but this is how i feel now

23 hours ago, matty said:

I unno He's playing 4th tier on a B-team so I'd be iffy on him (I want the MNT to avoid anything under tier 3) but I haven't seen him play ever. Maybe he'll go to Camp Poutine 2018 when we play Aruba or someone along those lines.

Not even for a getting young up and comer to just be part of the training. Just to show him if he puts in the work he would be part of this team more often in the future. At 21 it is a bit sad he has not broken into the first team already, but do hope they're high on him. Should be loaned out.

*edit* I do get your point about having CMNT calling up 3 to lower tiered players. With him I'm still thinking he is still developing with a good team. *edit*

Can't wait to see who gets called up for El Salvador....

Edited by Scorpion26

Tha

1 hour ago, Blackjack15 said:

Anthony Tortera on Red Card did one yesterday featuring Jon Elmes from Canucks Abroad, a TSS Academy Coach and Steven Sandor 

That's quite interesting video. Dang can't wait for this league to start and hope it starts by next year for real. It will be great to have in FIFA/PES games can't wait this will be great. It will increase playing chances for lots of Canadian players and CIS will be able to benefit as well similar to NCAA has done for MLS. 

14 hours ago, Scorpion26 said:

Tha

That's quite interesting video. Dang can't wait for this league to start and hope it starts by next year for real. It will be great to have in FIFA/PES games can't wait this will be great. It will increase playing chances for lots of Canadian players and CIS will be able to benefit as well similar to NCAA has done for MLS. 

I'm guessing it will take a while to get into FIFA games. I remember FIFA 1998 had some non-MLS league in it (I played with a Toronto team, filled with fake players. Janney and Robert were unstoppable!) and of course it was only recently that the CMNT was put in the game for non-World Cup years.

But yes, down the line it would be great to have the league in the game(s).

4 hours ago, Kent said:

I'm guessing it will take a while to get into FIFA games. I remember FIFA 1998 had some non-MLS league in it (I played with a Toronto team, filled with fake players. Janney and Robert were unstoppable!) and of course it was only recently that the CMNT was put in the game for non-World Cup years.

Hey if everything goes well it can be by next year. Presentation of teams early in 2018, after combine and draft, preseason around june/july. As long they got the draft done early it could be possible if not by FIFA 20 at least.

CPL will be a game changer for all Canadians that are struggling with game time and future CIS players. 

5 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

Hey if everything goes well it can be by next year. Presentation of teams early in 2018, after combine and draft, preseason around june/july. As long they got the draft done early it could be possible if not by FIFA 20 at least.

CPL will be a game changer for all Canadians that are struggling with game time and future CIS players. 

When asked about adding the Chinese Super League to the game the FIFA guys said they need to wait until the league proves it is stable before committing resources to it. So, I doubt we'd see the CPL in the game that quickly. The face that the game is developed in Canada may help though.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Still it was a bunch of fake players from fake teams who were in North America. Think FIFA 95 or 96 had the APSL or whatever the league the Impact and Whitecaps played in with real players.

4 hours ago, Scorpion26 said:

Speaking of the CPL draft, what is it looking like right now? Will it be all CIS players? What is the timeline? If they're gonna start in 2018 they better get the ball rolling.

13 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

Speaking of the CPL draft, what is it looking like right now? Will it be all CIS players? What is the timeline? If they're gonna start in 2018 they better get the ball rolling.

I don't know to much, but if they made moves for 2018 August start I do think something will come out maybe about 3-4 months before start of season or news that we wait till 2019... Hope for 2018 for sure.... This is exciting times for CMNT and soon another friendly game coming as well. However I do wish it was two games instead of just one.

13 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

We know the answer to none of those questions. The chances of the league kicking off in 2018 are slim at this point, it sounds like they are moving towards a 2019 full season launch.

2 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

We know the answer to none of those questions. The chances of the league kicking off in 2018 are slim at this point, it sounds like they are moving towards a 2019 full season launch.

2019 is probably smart. There is no reason to rush at this point. Rather get it right the first time than try to expedite the process and screw it up.

2 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

They still publicly are aiming for 2018 but I do wonder how much longer they can keep saying that

On 9/15/2017 at 11:16 PM, matty said:

They still publicly are aiming for 2018 but I do wonder how much longer they can keep saying that

Early 2018 should be about when they mention about cities and teams that will start the league.

FCE Owner at CPL meetings...

This here worries me that CPL may go the European way instead of MLS. I do think business wise going MLS style would be better and will give a chance in my opinion to survive to grow. Slow growth will help create more teams in the future and will improve dept for CMNT. The CPL needs to last for CMNT to benefit from its growth in the future.

1 minute ago, Scorpion26 said:

Early 2018 should be about when they mention about cities and teams that will start the league.

FCE Owner at CPL meetings...

This here worries me that CPL may go the European way instead of MLS. I do think business wise going MLS style would be better and will give a chance in my opinion to survive to grow. Slow growth will help create more teams in the future and will improve dept for CMNT. The CPL needs to last for CMNT to benefit from its growth in the future.

Player issues aside, early 2018 is very, very late if there are ownership groups that plan on building infrastructure. Remember, even small pop-up stadiums typically take 3 months of construction and nobody is going to start building in winter. Teams also need training facilities.

I hope they don't launch before they have all their pieces on the board. Having CPL players train on high school pitches and playing in stadiums that are way too small or way too big isn't a great look...and I think we all agree the launch will be absolutely vital to drawing national attention.