General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

20 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

And we have done well against them, so let's keep going with good tough competition. 

Oh goody we can beat the shit of  out Bermuda with our B&C team. How does that help our A team and the how our program looks to the world. We are hosting the World Cup 2026 and World Cup  qualifying will start for 2022 in just about less than 2 years. 

Here you go Scotty Arfield , St.kitts so you can pat your stats.  And don't tell me they wouldn't do that because they did it for the African trip.  They played the B team against Morocco and lost 4-0 and they played the regulars against Mauritania the game before and won 4-0

Who is saying we want games against Bermuda? Nice straw man argument. We are talking about teams like Mexico, Panama and Costa Rica as ties that will improve our program. And guess what! We'd be underdogs in all of those ties. To suggest they aren't good enough competition for us is ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Who is saying we want games against Bermuda? Nice straw man argument. We are talking about teams like Mexico, Panama and Costa Rica as ties that will improve our program. And guess what! We'd be underdogs in all of those ties. To suggest they aren't good enough competition for us is ridiculous.

Assuming the concacaf nations league concept has some sort of pro/rel system in it then there is a possibility we can get ther eventually. I think I read somewhere there would be 6 games per group? So theorizing 4 team groups with current concacaf rankings that would mean 

1. Mex, USA, Costa Rica, Haiti

2. Panama, Curacao, Honduras, Jamaica

3. Trin and Tobago, Canada, El Salvador, Gutamala.

T&T, El Salvador, and Guatamala are not horrible oppositioon for us right now, and are games we should win. And if we win then we go up and earn the right to play against better teams next round. And really, losing to Mex, USA, and Costa Rica is no good for us right now. Why not go one step at a time and try and beat the 2nd tier Concacaf teams like Panama, Honduras, Jamaica.

35 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Here is what we learned from that period of around 2000-2008 (more or less) where we played many of the top sides globally.

You are so right, we did play big nations during that time and mix results. But your forgetting in my view a huge thing.

Who were the mangers from 1999-2013

From 1999- 2003 who was the manger ? Holger Osieck, a professional manger, we had our are best results during that time frame not including 84 through 86. From 2003-2013 we had amateur coaches  and 1.5  pro coaches in and out for 10 years and it was same ones ,  Colin Miller, Frank Yallop ,   Dale Mitchell, Tony Fonseca,  Stephen heart . I'm sorry but come on no team could win with those guys.  Trinidad and Tobago fired stephen heart, Dale  Mitchell  vanished off the face the earth, frank Yallop ( he's that 1 pro coach )went to more MLS teams and then USL, no news on where Tony is at?, Collin has been managing a  mediocre Edmonton FC NASL. That says a lot !  How can we expect our teams to succeed with amateur shit coaches . 

Now with Oz, it's really early but he's a real  professional coach, and when  Canada gets professional coaches we do well.

Oz says we need to play against the best, im with him. He believes in the players talent, I'm with him. It's time for Canada to grow up in the soccer world. 

Just now, nazzer said:

Assuming the concacaf nations league concept has some sort of pro/rel system in it then there is a possibility we can get ther eventually. I think I read somewhere there would be 6 games per group? So theorizing 4 team groups with current concacaf rankings that would mean 

T&T, El Salvador, and Guatamala are not horrible oppositioon for us right now, and are games we should win. And if we win then we go up and earn the right to play against better teams next round. And really, losing to Mex, USA, and Costa Rica is no good for us right now. Why not go one step at a time and try and beat the 2nd tier Concacaf teams like Panama, Honduras, Jamaica.

Almost everything about the Nations League is unknown, except that it is largely based on its UEFA equivalent. I based the 6 team groups on VMs claim that the premier group of the Champions League could be a direct replacement for the Hex, since WWQ is going to change drastically by the 2026 cycle.

Just now, SpecialK said:

You are so right, we did play big nations during that time and mix results. But your forgetting in my view a huge thing.

From 1999- 2003 who was the manger ? Holger Osieck, a professional manger, we had our are best results during that time frame not including 84 through 86. From 2003-2013 we had amateur coaches  and 1.5  pro coaches in and out for 10 years and it was same ones ,  Colin Miller, Frank Yallop ,   Dale Mitchell, Tony Fonseca,  Stephen heart . I'm sorry but come on no team could win with those guys.  Trinidad and Tobago fired stephen heart, Dale  Mitchell  vanished off the face the earth, frank Yallop ( he's that 1 pro coach )went to more MLS teams and then USL, no news on where Tony is at?, Collin has been managing a  mediocre Edmonton FC NASL. That says a lot !  How can we expect our teams to succeed with amateur shit coaches . 

Now with Oz, it's really early but he's a real  professional coach, and when  Canada gets professional coaches we do well.

Unless OZ's name is actually Messi and he's eligible for Canada, nothing he does will help us beat the teams you want us to beat. The talent isn't there. You are putting a ton of praise on a coach that just lost a game against Jamaica's B+ team and didn't beat a single FIFA member in the Gold Cup. I like OZ, I think he's done an admirable job so far, but he's not going to change the fact that we don't have a single defender worth a damn on the international stage.

21 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Oz says we need to play against the best, im with him. He believes in the players talent, I'm with him. It's time for Canada to grow up in the soccer world. 

well now you're on a completely separate topic...

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think top footballing nations will play us because of money. Our country has resources and playing top teams in Vancouver or Toronto would draw big interest. We need to pay them to come here. Maybe overpay, whatever it takes 

No we dont.  Its only turns out to be money grab for those national sides because they usually command the highest appearance fees.   Then whats going to happen is one of several things:

1) a bunch of casual fans will show up to star gaze but will feel ripped off when some superstar (on the opposing side) stays on the bench or only makes a cameo appearance in the 85 th minute.  Or he starts and gets subbed out in the 15th minute.

2) they (our opponent) wont try very hard so you cant get true read of our performance or readiness as team.  Nor who is actaully good. Or played well.  

3) the casual fan or even some serious fan may realise that the gap is too large to over come for Canada, that the team is not worth supporting

4) because of the cost of appearnce fees and accomodation the CSA may have trouble breaking even and needs to sell a certain number of tickets and at certain price.  With three MLS teams now in picture, are there that many people that are starved to see this kind of soccer?   That novelty seems to have worn off in my view.  Hence the CSA could end up losing money that could have been better spent elsehwhere. 

Basically, these things end up being more of a show or event than a test or evaluation exercise.

Edited by Free kick

To summarize my view.  I agree more or less with the kind of opponents that we have been selecting in the recent years.  Yes, Bermuda is too small and maybe not the best test.  But i rather that kind of opponent than Brazil or Germany. 

the most important thing is to play games when the intl calandar opens.  Not to play sides that are out of our league.  IMHO, Only one side in this region would or MIGHT benefit from playing those kind teams, and thats Mexico. Even the US, for reasons mentioned by others in this thread are deluding themselves thinking that that they can match up with those 6-8 superpowers in the globe. 

Edited by Free kick

Then why did OZ come out and said what he said. 

“We’re going to try to play the best teams in the world that we can possibly play,” the Canadian coach offered. 

“We need to face Brazil. We need to face Argentina, Uruguay. We need to face Ecuador, Colombia, Mexico. All the best countries.”

thats not what the CSA has said before.

i know Dwayne De Rosario said in the past that Canada needs to play top nations 

Edited by SpecialK

In the end more games the better and whomever the opponents are should not matter. Playing against same leveled team or below is good and playing against above leveled teams is good as well. More games I post more games I post....

Playing top soccer countries even if it's a lost can help push players to give it their all just to show those countries Canada can ball to. 

Not wanting to keep this pointless thing going, but dont you need 2 to tango.  How do you know we havnt been trying to get Brazil,Uruguay,Arg etc lined up for the international breaks??  Why exactly would they pick us over any number of countries??

The point some have been trying to make about CONCACAF nations is to try and get our guys used to the piss bag throwing, nasty stadium, diving, time wasting dirty shennaeigans that go on.  We need to beat these guys in WCQ on the road and every cycle alot of our guys dont perform there and we rarely get results.  If we need to "grow up" well we can start by beating the types of teams we actually need to beat to get to the hex and beyond.  

Hey it's not pointless, talking about the men's national program is amazing, seeing everyone's views on a topic, having an open debate, it's amazing! People need to have more debates about topics. 

We do need to beat those teams and we can!

3 hours ago, nazzer said:

Haiti is 48 in the world and 38 in 2013?! 

I just looked that up... how is that possible it's insane. We ran over minnows in 2011 and never came close to that 

3 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Haiti is 48 in the world and 38 in 2013?! 

I just looked that up... how is that possible it's insane. We ran over minnows in 2011 and never came close to that 

It might be cause of the  Caribbean championship /cup

more important the game is the more points you can get.

i might be wrong, please someone smarter then me (  which is most people lol ) please  confirm 

11 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

It might be cause of the  Caribbean championship /cup

more important the game is the more points you can get.

i might be wrong, please someone smarter then me (  which is most people lol ) please  confirm 

That's definitely what it is but my point is how ridiculous that is because those points are obviously relatively on par to wcq because from sept 2011 to June 2012 we played 8 wcq and had 5 wins and 3 draws along with a friendly draw v The USA iirc and came nowhere close to that.

meanwhile we have Haiti losing to Nicaragua and having to beat st kitts in extra time and somehow being top 50?! Wtf is that.

caribbean cup should be worth friendly points. It's played seemingly non stop and gives a disproportionate advantage to cfu teams. 

How can matches where a whole confederation isn't eligible be ruled official? That's jack warner era stuff 

13 minutes ago, Keegan said:

That's definitely what it is but my point is how ridiculous that is because those points are obviously relatively on par to wcq because from sept 2011 to June 2012 we played 8 wcq and had 5 wins and 3 draws along with a friendly draw v The USA iirc and came nowhere close to that.

meanwhile we have Haiti losing to Nicaragua and having to beat st kitts in extra time and somehow being top 50?! Wtf is that.

caribbean cup should be worth friendly points. It's played seemingly non stop and gives a disproportionate advantage to cfu teams. 

How can matches where a whole confederation isn't eligible be ruled official? That's jack warner era stuff 

Radical idea 

just thought of it (  probably somebody has already said it on this form but just throwing it out there ), what do you guys/girls think ?

Canada and the US leave CONCACAF and create an  Arctic confederation with other arctic nations? Russia, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, Denmark, Greenland, Finland and possibly of France ( because of Saint Pierre and Miquelon, but they would  probably never leave)

it would be highly competitive and we wouldn't have to worry about concacaf bullshit and bags of piss.  All those countries have proper stadiums , safe countries Russia questionable Haha.  Also we could get some really good draws from the fans for these games.

Edited by SpecialK

10 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Radical idea 

just thought of it (  probably somebody has already said it on this form but just throwing it out there ), what do you guys/girls think ?

Canada and the US leave CONCACAF and create an  Arctic confederation with other arctic nations? Russia, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, Denmark, Greenland, Finland and possibly of France ( because of Saint Pierre and Miquelon, but they would  probably never leave)

it would be highly competitive and we wouldn't have to worry about concacaf bullshit and bags of piss.  All those countries have proper stadiums , safe countries Russia questionable Haha.  Also we could get some really good draws from the fans for these games.

Why make it so complicated?

Just take the US and join UEFA, have Mexico and Central America join CONMEBOL, and let the Caribbean form their own little OFC-like confederation.

1 minute ago, Gopherbashi said:

Why make it so complicated?

Just take the US and join UEFA, have Mexico and Central America join CONMEBOL, and let the Caribbean form their own little OFC-like confederation.

Interesting, the only thing UEFA is already HUGE. 

9 hours ago, SpecialK said:

My view on it, is that it will take away spots that we can play big nations. With a league you per schedule times to play and against teams you are ranked with. There's no freedom. Yes it helps with getting games but not against top teams. Mexico, United States and  Costa Rica are the only top teams in CONCACAF. 

We can beat CONCACAF teams. We beat  Honduras at home and El Salvador in last World Cup  qualifier. If we won or tied   Honduras  in Honduras we would be in the Hex right now simple. And we lost by 1 goal. Also we had Floro in charged who played 6 CB at times. Look at our record since Floro left. We lost to  Jamaica by one goal and we had our chances but Blake slammed the door that happens.  Anything can happen in a one game knockout. 

Yes our player pool can be better and stronger. But players is not the main issue. We have good players. Also  i'm going to go on a limb and say  I bet those duel nationals told Oz "Canada needs to play against top nations before we join. Because him going out and stating that goes  against with what the CSA has said before we need to play more CONCACAF. 

Really? If we can beat teams from our confederation so easily how come we haven't made the hex since 1998? How come this year was the first time we made it to the quarters since 2009? How come we only beat fucking Belize 4-1 on aggregate?

'if we won or tied' Honduras lmao we have like one actual result in Central America in a meaningful match in the past 20 years and it was tying a broken El Salvador team (who had more good chances than we did).

Meanwhile Jamaica just put on an absolute defensive clinic against Mexico and are going to their second straight GC final.

4 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Then why did OZ come out and said what he said. 

“We’re going to try to play the best teams in the world that we can possibly play,” the Canadian coach offered. 

“We need to face Brazil. We need to face Argentina, Uruguay. We need to face Ecuador, Colombia, Mexico. All the best countries.”

thats not what the CSA has said before.

i know Dwayne De Rosario said in the past that Canada needs to play top nations 

feel free to post a link at anytime

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

Radical idea 

Ah yes because those european nations would love to jump on board that