General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

2 hours ago, zaltan said:

Hearing that there is a camp mind Jan in Florida for 97 born players

"As for the youth program, Zambrano said he will bringing 1997s, 98s, 99s and maybe an 00 or two together on January 9 for an Olympic program camp in Florida. They will play two opponents, one of them being Colombian side, Atletico Nacional."

https://the11.ca/zambrano-says-major-changes-coming-to-national-program-for-2018/

Straight out of Sandor's article..link above and canada soccer has the same info.  Usually we have a speculation thread on who will be called by now.  I guess the usual suspects are busy with x-mas shopping.  

36 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

How much does an A lisence cost here?

$1500, but most high level coaches in Canada go through the American or UEFA programs and apply for Canadian equivalency because the American and UEFA programs have better international reputations/are necessary for most North American coaching jobs..

Edited by harrycoyster

2 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

$1500, but most high level coaches in Canada go through the American or UEFA programs and apply for Canadian equivalency because the American and UEFA programs have better international reputations/are necessary for most North American coaching jobs..

Don't a bunch go to Ireland too? Coulda sworn DeVos and others got theirs over there.

I'm watching "El Chapo" on Netflix and the 4th episode repeatedly shows clips from Mexico's 2-1 win over Canada at Varsity Stadium in 1993.  Unfortunately it doesn't show the gangsters' reaction to Alex Bunbury's opening goal lol.

The Cardinal and Archbishop of Guadalajara delivers a sermon contrasting Mexico's success in beating Canada to the country's failure to win the drug war.  As a result, he is promptly assassinated days later.  Clearly he didn't understand that Craig Forrest's goalkeeping was a slightly less formidable obstacle than the cartels.

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

8 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

Interesting article on player development in Paris

@Chad_Impact Hopefully in the the next several years  (I'm talking 10 +, maybe more) two of Canada's biggest cities (I'm looking at Toronto & Montreal) can follow a similar path to Paris when it comes to football player development... Both cities have very good conditions in doing so (demographics wise for sure) to recruit good talented players from within their population and give them proper training & development... As you may know Montreal has very similar demographics to Paris and the exact same immigration sources as Paris and we seen how these demographics have play a critical role in player development for Paris and to a big extent Les Bleus.... Why can't Les Rouges emulate such model?.... Plus we got much more diversity than them, just think about the biggest English-metropolis in the country. (look to Toronto and the whole GTA no further, lol) ... And just about equal resources and infrastructure and obviously $$$$ to put a good system in place, lol.... The only thing playing against Canadian cities are obviously factors such as weather (always indoor soccer I guess, right?) plus still a large apathy to the sport as it still lags quite behind other popular sports in these parts, but it is growing and will keep doing so for the next several years, guaranteed... I hate to say, but I still think football will lag behind ice hockey as it is still not part of Canadian culture and may never be? ... But it's a whole North American conundrum , also prevalent in the U.S based on other articles I've read.. At least in Paris and France as is the case in most of Europe, soccer is part of local culture... There is CERTIANLY potential here and TFC is building their brand very well at least within Toronto and GTA and are determined to have a great competitive sides for years to come and Craig Forrest even mention that the whole TFC brass is investing money in developing local talent to the big team ... And if you think who some of these players who may end up playing for TFC down the road, you will see the diversity of Toronto reflected just as the article states how the diversity of Paris is reflected in PSG... And a similar thing can be with the Impact (in fact, will look very similar to PSG, lol) from a demographics perspective... And consequently, this can translate to the CANMNT.... At this moment, in terms of demographics CANMNT is pretty reminiscent to that of France and if we put our act together and managed to keep our top talent, I can see CANMNT with equal demographics and similar level of talent to France national team (lest we hope, lol) ... We gotta follow that model and to an extent the CSA is already doing so, but we gotta do a lot more still... I'm not suggesting by any means that Montreal and Toronto will become the biggest hotbed for football talent in the world, but among the biggest indeed... Again this will not be seen until at least 10 more years in my thinking...  I'm sure Québec will supply a lot of this football talent!

Btw, any idea when the olympic camp roster will be revealed?... It is slated for Jan.9, I have been continuously checking any tweets under the #CANMNT hashtag and by CANPL Brasil (they are very good on reporting CANMNT activity and anything concerning Canadian soccer, better in fact than a lot of local sources as much as I hate to say), but no word whatsoever... I'm sure a lot of you guys, just like myself are very intrigued as to the call-ups... If anyone has any inside knowledge as to when this will be revealed , share!!!.... I'm really looking forward

1 minute ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

@Chad_Impact Hopefully in the the next several years  (I'm talking 10 +, maybe more) two of Canada's biggest cities (I'm looking at Toronto & Montreal) can follow a similar path to Paris when it comes to football player development... Both cities have very good conditions in doing so (demographics wise for sure) to recruit good talented players from within their population and give them proper training & development... As you may know Montreal has very similar demographics to Paris and the exact same immigration sources as Paris and we seen how these demographics have play a critical role in player development for Paris and to a big extent Les Bleus.... Why can't Les Rouges emulate such model?.... Plus we got much more diversity than them, just think about the biggest English-metropolis in the country. (look to Toronto and the whole GTA no further, lol) ... And just about equal resources and infrastructure and obviously $$$$ to put a good system in place, lol.... The only thing playing against Canadian cities are obviously factors such as weather (always indoor soccer I guess, right?) plus still a large apathy to the sport as it still lags quite behind other popular sports in these parts, but it is growing and will keep doing so for the next several years, guaranteed... I hate to say, but I still think football will lag behind ice hockey as it is still not part of Canadian culture and may never be? ... But it's a whole North American conundrum , also prevalent in the U.S based on other articles I've read.. At least in Paris and France as is the case in most of Europe, soccer is part of local culture... There is CERTIANLY potential here and TFC is building their brand very well at least within Toronto and GTA and are determined to have a great competitive sides for years to come and Craig Forrest even mention that the whole TFC brass is investing money in developing local talent to the big team ... And if you think who some of these players who may end up playing for TFC down the road, you will see the diversity of Toronto reflected just as the article states how the diversity of Paris is reflected in PSG... And a similar thing can be with the Impact (in fact, will look very similar to PSG, lol) from a demographics perspective... And consequently, this can translate to the CANMNT.... At this moment, in terms of demographics CANMNT is pretty reminiscent to that of France and if we put our act together and managed to keep our top talent, I can see CANMNT with equal demographics and similar level of talent to France national team (lest we hope, lol) ... We gotta follow that model and to an extent the CSA is already doing so, but we gotta do a lot more still... I'm not suggesting by any means that Montreal and Toronto will become the biggest hotbed for football talent in the world, but among the biggest indeed... Again this will not be seen until at least 10 more years in my thinking...  I'm sure Québec will supply a lot of this football talent!

Ideally a player like Sam Piette becomes successful with the Impact and our sport becomes more popular in Montreal. It is very much a city with potential to become a soccer hotbed. (You know that I am desperate for CMNT success when this TFC fan says that he wants Montreal to be successful!)

11 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

US calls a camp for 153 players from U16 to U20 including two Canadians. Meanwhile, from Canada Soccer, nothing. 

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/youth/post/2017/12/29/residency-midfielder-noah-verhoeven-called-us-u-20-national-team

And we might have just lost Verhoeven to the US because of it. Embarrassing.

EDIT: It appears Verhoeven has accepted both US and Canadian call ups before. Still sucks to see a potential u20 CMNT starter in a US jersey. 

Edited by harrycoyster

19 hours ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

The GTA population wise is bigger or close to  population wise than a lot of top 20 soccer countries , meaning that just the GTA has the potential to develop most of our future Canadian national team players, that's why when people say that outside the Toronto area no one really cares or could name you 3 players from TFC I say so what as long as TFC is relevant in the 4th. largest city in North America that's enough to get young kids to keep playing and aspire to make it to the MLS and to bigger leagues in the future.

Hey guys 6% of MLS players are Canadian! Isn't that awesome? A 1% increase from 2007! There are just as many Canadians in MLS as there are African and Central American players! Fuck yea am I right? For having only 13% of the teams in the league I'd say that seems about right. Our league representing us hardcore.

Edited by matty

5 hours ago, matty said:

Hey guys 6% of MLS players are Canadian! Isn't that awesome? A 1% increase from 2007! There are just as many Canadians in MLS as there are African and Central American players! Fuck yea am I right? For having only 13% of the teams in the league I'd say that seems about right. Our league representing us hardcore.

All i see is a really shitty graph, where is the # breakdown? 22 teams x 30 players = 660 players, so 6% would be approx. 40 Canadians. No way.

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

All i see is a really shitty graph, where is the # breakdown? 22 teams x 30 players = 660 players, so 6% would be approx. 40 Canadians. No way.

I want to know how they got the number too MLS said there were 28 in March. Gonna guess random call-ups for bench spots were counted to get the 35-40 needed for a 6%.