General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

On 2017-12-29 at 6:28 PM, 1996 said:

The GTA population wise is bigger or close to  population wise than a lot of top 20 soccer countries

TFC is relevant in the 4th. largest city in North America that's enough to get young kids to keep playing and aspire to make it to the MLS and to bigger leagues in the future.

meaning that just the GTA has the potential to develop most of our future Canadian national team players,

Absolutely agree my friend @1996...... Just look at Canada Basketball and the current Canadian-born NBAers, 99% of them are from Toronto and the GTA largely due to the whole Raptors effect, specially the last few seasons where they had a significant amount of success (historically-wise) anyways and heck, came 2 games from a first ever NBA final berth.... So why can't something similar happen with TFC??? I don't see what can stop it!..... And already about 80% of the CANMNT squad is from Toronto and the GTA area and similarly to Paris as per chad_impact's article, its demographics diversity is well reflected, plus keep in mind that Toronto is far more diverse than Paris as it is not only restricted to immigrants from English-speaking countries unlike Paris & Montreal where most of its immigration source is from French-speaking countries , we get from all over the place needless to say, and of those a HEAVY portion from football-crazed nations and prolly some from the top 20 soccer countries I'm sure that carry on with their passion and love for their game here, now a great-competitive team in TFC to follow and support and eventually many that want to pursue. career in the sport may start developing up the ranks of the TFC system and lean towards playing for CANMNT (at least that is the hope, we still need some work to address that aspect, but there is hope, it is starting to change a little bit in our favour)... and there you have as you stated about the GTA potential to develop most of our future Canadian national team players... and consequently Toronto and the GTA becoming quite the soccer hotbed, the most unheralded indeed..... And due to similar demographic aspects to Paris, I see Montreal joining the fold to, though to a lesser extent.... 

14 hours ago, matty said:

Gonna guess random call-ups for bench spots were counted to get the 35-40 needed for a 6%

@matty I guess they based it in country of birth regardless of what national team they represent or were developed. For example, Alphonso Davies is listed under Liberia as country of origin rather than Canada, even though he was in fact born in Ghana, in a refugee camp so stop speak, likewise Darligton Nagbe is listed as Liberia (even though he plays internationally for the USMNT)... Ballou also under Côte d'Ivoire, despite being a Homegrown player by the Impact and Québec-based, Amer Didić is also listed under Bosnia-Herzegovina, despite as well all know a CANMNT prospect... I guess that plus what you mention about random call-ups for bench spots is how we reach the 40 count amounting to the 6% for league total??

4 minutes ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

@matty I guess they based it in country of birth regardless of what national team they represent or were developed. For example, Alphonso Davies is listed under Liberia as country of origin rather than Canada, even though he was in fact born in Ghana, in a refugee camp so stop speak, likewise Darligton Nagbe is listed as Liberia (even though he plays internationally for the USMNT)... Ballou also under Côte d'Ivoire, despite being a Homegrown player by the Impact and Québec-based, Amer Didić is also listed under Bosnia-Herzegovina, despite as well all know a CANMNT prospect... I guess that plus what you mention about random call-ups for bench spots is how we reach the 40 count amounting to the 6% for league total??

That doesn't make sense. That would reduce the number of Canadians, not increase it.

Btw, has the so-called Olympic camp scheduled for Jan.9 been cancelled? .... As based in every source I've been looking into, no announcements yet on who will be invited to that so-called camp in FL, the 11.ca site even mentioned that the members of such camp were even gonna play a friendly against Atlético Nacional of Colombia during that camp... Or do we expect an announcement after Jan. 1????

I thought the camps rosters are announced roughly a week before, usually on a thursday?? Maybe??  So maybe mid next week?  I know this is a silly thing to say but some times we have to chill a bit eh?  Oz is making calls, who can slip away from their club without losing their spot etc.  Maybe we see Liam Millar, Shome....Twardek??  

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I thought the camps rosters are announced roughly a week before, usually on a thursday?? Maybe??  So maybe mid next week?  I know this is a silly thing to say but some times we have to chill a bit eh?  Oz is making calls, who can slip away from their club without losing their spot etc.  Maybe we see Liam Millar, Shome....Twardek??  

I don't follow the youth MNT sides close enough to know how early they usually announce them but just for reference the U20 WNT and U17 WNT have both had camps this fall ahead of qualifying and the rosters were announced like 3/4s of the way through the camp lol. 

13 hours ago, carolynduthie said:

I don't follow the youth MNT sides close enough to know how early they usually announce them but just for reference the U20 WNT and U17 WNT have both had camps this fall ahead of qualifying and the rosters were announced like 3/4s of the way through the camp lol. 

Canada Soccer has actually been very good about announcing camp rosters for the men's youth teams. At times they have failed to post game rosters.

19 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

Canada Soccer has actually been very good about announcing camp rosters for the men's youth teams. At times they have failed to post game rosters.

Another sign that it may not be happening is that the three main facilities where international soccer teams go to train in Florida (Lakewood Ranch, Bradenton, Orlando) all have tenants from the 8th to the 13th. Lakewood Ranch and Bradenton for the USYNT Summit and Orlando by Rangers and PSV. Even the NCAA college facilities are being used by Florida Cup teams.

Edited by harrycoyster

https://the11.ca/zambrano-says-major-changes-coming-to-national-program-for-2018/

"As for the youth program, Zambrano said he will bringing 1997s, 98s, 99s and maybe an 00 or two together on January 9 for an Olympic program camp in Florida. They will play two opponents, one of them being Colombian side, Atletico Nacional."

That article was from 3 weeks ago, so it was still on then..hopefully it hasnt fallen through, but considering how late rosters etc get announced I dont think  we need to be pushing panic buttons.  

On 31/12/2017 at 6:10 AM, carolynduthie said:

This. I feel like it's not uncommon for the announcement of players invited to a men's youth camp to happen when the players are boarding the plane to camp.

On 30/12/2017 at 4:11 AM, jpg75 said:

All i see is a really shitty graph, where is the # breakdown? 22 teams x 30 players = 660 players, so 6% would be approx. 40 Canadians. No way.

All they have listed is a source of http://www.worldfootball.net/

I'm not sure what the actual numbers would be, but I think 30 player rosters are rare in MLS. The average roster size is probably more like 27 or maybe even 26. Using those as average roster sizes the math would give 35 or 34 Canadians. According to this http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2015/CANMNTPlayerPool.aspx there are currently 32 Canadians in MLS.

On 28/12/2017 at 10:55 PM, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

@Chad_Impact Hopefully in the the next several years  (I'm talking 10 +, maybe more) two of Canada's biggest cities (I'm looking at Toronto & Montreal) can follow a similar path to Paris when it comes to football player development... Both cities have very good conditions in doing so (demographics wise for sure) to recruit good talented players from within their population and give them proper training & development... As you may know Montreal has very similar demographics to Paris and the exact same immigration sources as Paris and we seen how these demographics have play a critical role in player development for Paris and to a big extent Les Bleus.... Why can't Les Rouges emulate such model?.... Plus we got much more diversity than them, just think about the biggest English-metropolis in the country. (look to Toronto and the whole GTA no further, lol) ... And just about equal resources and infrastructure and obviously $$$$ to put a good system in place, lol.... The only thing playing against Canadian cities are obviously factors such as weather (always indoor soccer I guess, right?) plus still a large apathy to the sport as it still lags quite behind other popular sports in these parts, but it is growing and will keep doing so for the next several years, guaranteed... I hate to say, but I still think football will lag behind ice hockey as it is still not part of Canadian culture and may never be? ... But it's a whole North American conundrum , also prevalent in the U.S based on other articles I've read.. At least in Paris and France as is the case in most of Europe, soccer is part of local culture... There is CERTIANLY potential here and TFC is building their brand very well at least within Toronto and GTA and are determined to have a great competitive sides for years to come and Craig Forrest even mention that the whole TFC brass is investing money in developing local talent to the big team ... And if you think who some of these players who may end up playing for TFC down the road, you will see the diversity of Toronto reflected just as the article states how the diversity of Paris is reflected in PSG... And a similar thing can be with the Impact (in fact, will look very similar to PSG, lol) from a demographics perspective... And consequently, this can translate to the CANMNT.... At this moment, in terms of demographics CANMNT is pretty reminiscent to that of France and if we put our act together and managed to keep our top talent, I can see CANMNT with equal demographics and similar level of talent to France national team (lest we hope, lol) ... We gotta follow that model and to an extent the CSA is already doing so, but we gotta do a lot more still... I'm not suggesting by any means that Montreal and Toronto will become the biggest hotbed for football talent in the world, but among the biggest indeed... Again this will not be seen until at least 10 more years in my thinking...  I'm sure Québec will supply a lot of this football talent!

Nice optimism but it takes more than population and demographics. We have to build the soccer infrastructure still. Just one example, we lag far behind in terms of coaching ability/abundance.

6 hours ago, Kent said:

We have to build the soccer infrastructure still. Just one example, we lag far behind in terms of coaching ability/abundance.

@Kent Absolutely!!!... Jason DeVos is overlooking this whole area and is trying very hard to address these, let alone improve them. But yeah, there is no quick fix whatsoever and this will take monumental effort from himself, the CSA and all parties within the CSA responsible for those aspects of the development of the game here. Regarding the coaching, he made some tweets in that regards and some plans they are planning to implement regarding coaching course to make it more accessible to all interested parties, but couldn't divulge much details due to confidentiality reasons. Must be in the very early phase of this whole new implementation process I supposed, but yeah, lots of work to do... He also mentioned about building more football infrastructure nationwide and the challenges that are still on the way for that. Makes you think, why this damn CaNPL needs to get off the ground and running. CanPl will address a fair bit of these concepts without a doubt. Potential is there nevertheless.

Does the coaching staff of CMLS teams are they also part of the new coaching training seems that most have been coaches in US teams or am I wrong?

Also was hoping for some camp and game news already, but nothing that's not good.... OZ promised changes this 2018 year, but I am very much hoping that every friendly slot will be occupied with a game don't care who it is just want more CMNT playing together and chances to bring in even more youngsters or players that can still contribute, but have not played for Canada for sometime well hopefully they want to still.....

However we are now two month away from a new MLS season...Hoping even more minutes for Davies, Edwards, and more... Heck even Tabla might end joining us too perhaps new Impact coach can convince him to play for Canada, by enticing him a chance in Europe once capped tied...

5 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

No comprende amigo.

Sorry was wondering if Coaching staff with Canadian MLS teams have been part of the new coaching initiative that MLS has been doing with French coaches... From what I have noticed it seems mainly the American coaches are part of that program or am I wrong? I forgot what that program was called

Edited by Scorpion26

https://www.soccerwire.com/news/clubs/youth-boys/mls-youth-academy-coaches-begin-14-month-education-program-in-france/?loc=psw/700

I think this is what you are talking about.   This is the 3rd course like this and there is a list of current, and the ones continuing in La liga. Listed are TFC academy director Guyot and the u-15 academy coach Stefano. WHitecaps have their residency director Dalrymple and U-17 coach Adam Day.  Eullafroy and Dankota (u-14)are listed for Impact.  So it seems like the right guys are going through these courses.  Get those academies humming along producing quality kids.

16 hours ago, Bison44 said:

https://www.soccerwire.com/news/clubs/youth-boys/mls-youth-academy-coaches-begin-14-month-education-program-in-france/?loc=psw/700

I think this is what you are talking about.   This is the 3rd course like this and there is a list of current, and the ones continuing in La liga. Listed are TFC academy director Guyot and the u-15 academy coach Stefano. WHitecaps have their residency director Dalrymple and U-17 coach Adam Day.  Eullafroy and Dankota (u-14)are listed for Impact.  So it seems like the right guys are going through these courses.  Get those academies humming along producing quality kids.

I might be wrong but I believe Danny Dichio did it with TFC previously as well.

19 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Ah yes thank you @Bison44, what I'm thinking really was there any Canadian coaches to have gone through this program?

Also wonder if the CSA would be able to bring up a program like this to improve all coaches in Canada...

35 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

Also wonder if the CSA would be able to bring up a program like this to improve all coaches in Canada...

The CSA/Canadian teams largely just pays the USSF for youth coaches to join their programs. The majority of the Caps youth coaches went through a Dutch program in Dallas last summer and all of the main coaches have high level US soccer license.

It's always kind of bothered me that we rely so heavily on the US for coaching education, especially since their programs aren't great. But I guess we can't really attract and afford the international programs that they do and it's impossible to get the CSA licenses to be taken seriously when there isn't a single professional job in the world you can get right now with a CSA A license.

39 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

The CSA/Canadian teams largely just pays the USSF for youth coaches to join their programs. The majority of the Caps youth coaches went through a Dutch program in Dallas last summer and all of the main coaches have high level US soccer license.

It's always kind of bothered me that we rely so heavily on the US for coaching education, especially since their programs aren't great. But I guess we can't really attract and afford the international programs that they do and it's impossible to get the CSA licenses to be taken seriously when there isn't a single professional job in the world you can get right now with a CSA A license.

Seriously dang that's crazy hopefully with OZ and CSA new prez they might push Canada into a higher level...