General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

4 minutes ago, carolynduthie said:

The game yesterday was during an international break for women. (http://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/02/78/12/40/circularno.1535-2017fifawomensinternationalmatchcalendar_neutral.pdf) The WNT only played outside of international breaks twice this year - once at the beginning of February, outside of the North American club season (which the men's team...also generally does) and then the series against the US, which yes, was likely made possible due to so many of the USWNT/CanWNT players being NWSL-based and them being in their off-season - and they also skipped playing during two breaks (September & October). But they're hardly running around scheduling women's friendlies all the time with no regard for the international calendar or anything. 

OK, good to know, thanks! I wasn't sure there was such a strict international calendar. Is this a somewhat recent thing? I assumed a lack of a calendar was likely why the top women's players get so many more caps than men's players.

Most caps for men: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_footballers_with_100_or_more_caps
Ahmed Hassan - Egypt - 184
Mohamed Al-Deayea - Saudi Arabia - 178
Claudio Suarez - Mexico - 177
Gianluigi Buffon - Italy - 175
Hossam Hassan - Egypt - 169

Most caps for women that I could find, based on the list from the highest goal scorers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_women's_footballers_with_100_or_more_international_goals
Kristine Lilly - USA - 352
Mia Hamm - USA - 275
Abby Wambach - USA - 256
Christine Sinclair - Canada - 253
Birgit Prinz - Germany - 214

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

OK, good to know, thanks! I wasn't sure there was such a strict international calendar. Is this a somewhat recent thing? I assumed a lack of a calendar was likely why the top women's players get so many more caps than men's players.

Most caps for men: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_footballers_with_100_or_more_caps
Ahmed Hassan - Egypt - 184
Mohamed Al-Deayea - Saudi Arabia - 178
Claudio Suarez - Mexico - 177
Gianluigi Buffon - Italy - 175
Hossam Hassan - Egypt - 169

Most caps for women that I could find, based on the list from the highest goal scorers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_women's_footballers_with_100_or_more_international_goals
Kristine Lilly - USA - 352
Mia Hamm - USA - 275
Abby Wambach - USA - 256
Christine Sinclair - Canada - 253
Birgit Prinz - Germany - 214

Someone would have to do the math, because I think women's national teams probably do play slightly more often (plus the Olympics and Olympic qualifying count as senior caps for the women, I don't know how it works for the men but I imagine at least for the U23 players they don't?), but I think there's other factors too. WNT player pools tend to be a lot smaller, so players will be on a roster for every game, and most of the players high up on the women's list started playing with the senior team full-time in high school, so even by the time they're like, 19 or 20, when most men's players break in, the women already have like 35+ caps (I think Mia Hamm was 15? Sinclair was 16, Birgit Prinz was 16 or 17, Kristine Lilly was 16 or 17 - Jessie Fleming turns 20 next March and already has 47 caps.) 

(An aside just based on that list, there is also the caveat that the USWNT plays all the time and in the past especially has had overwhelmingly low player turnover, which together would lead to their best players just accumulating a ton of caps.)

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

CSA 2017 nominations for player awards

Liam Millar not nominated for the U20 category!

Out of the past 20 winners of the U17 and U20s since 2007 only 2,  Petrasso and Davies are currently on the CMNT

https://www.canadasoccer.com/25th-edition-of-canada-soccer-player-awards-launched-with-2017-nominees-list-p161291-preview-1

Davies is pretty much a lock for U17 but being from Vaughan and as a former part of the Vaughan SC organization, I would love to see Steffen Yeates win it, but that's never gonna happen.

18 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

Davies is pretty much a lock for U17 but being from Vaughan and as a former part of the Vaughan SC organization, I would love to see Steffen Yeates win it, but that's never gonna happen.

I know that he's currently representing Jamaica after representing Canada at the u15 level, but if Keisean Brooks was eligible for this and didn't get selected it's a travesty. 9 goals in 16 games this year as a fullback/winger and the best u17 prospect in all of Cascadia not named Alphonso Davies. 

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

Wow ! What a joke ? Millar is playing amazing football ! 

Super Scotty should win it this year for Sr Men's 

Why?

Re: Millar huh maybe his national team performance disappointed

Edited by matty

37 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I know that he's currently representing Jamaica after representing Canada at the u15 level, but if Keisean Brooks was eligible for this and didn't get selected it's a travesty. 9 goals in 16 games this year as a fullback/winger and the best u17 prospect in all of Cascadia not named Alphonso Davies. 

Maybe he is still eligible but having a Twitter profile like this isn't going to help his cause:Screenshot_20171130-161201.thumb.jpg.626eae93b76c3d2370ef45ee5acb85ca.jpg

1 hour ago, matty said:

Why?

Re: Millar huh maybe his national team performance disappointed

to be fair none of the U20s performed well in the Concacaf U20 WC tournament, including Zambazis and Borges who were both nominated. Given Millar's work to date at Liverpool's U18 Academy he should have been nominated. It's not often we have a Canadian performing well at a top 6 league academy. His omission is glaring.....

3 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Have to wonder who got in his ear to turn him from a CMNT youth player to that in the space of 18 months. Sad to see because he was born and raised in Canada and is the star of the Caps 8-1-1 u17 team.

Was he not selected for the Canadian U17s  Concacaf WC tournament or did he turn it down?

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

to be fair none of the U20s performed well in the Concacaf U20 WC tournament, including Zambazis and Borges who were both nominated. Given Millar's work to date at Liverpool's U18 Academy he should have been nominated. It's not often we have a Canadian performing well at a top 6 league academy. His omission is glaring.....

Legit only reason i can think of unless he somehow pissed someone off

28 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

Anyone else concerned with the lack of games and camps for the youth national teams? Seems like there was a really intense program of developing the youth national teams in 2016 and that has fallen off in the last year. 

That's because this was the year all the youth teams played in continental championships, 2016 and early 2017 was preparing for that. The rest of this year was presumably mostly for scouting and then they'll have more id camps and friendlies for the U-17s and U-20s next year in the lead-up to the 2019 continental championships.

And the U-23s did have their apprently now-annual camp in Qatar last March as well.

35 minutes ago, Zem said:

That's because this was the year all the youth teams played in continental championships, 2016 and early 2017 was preparing for that. The rest of this year was presumably mostly for scouting and then they'll have more id camps and friendlies for the U-17s and U-20s next year in the lead-up to the 2019 continental championships.

And the U-23s did have their apprently now-annual camp in Qatar last March as well.

Hahahaha ! Scouting you say!!! I hope your joking. U17 was  practically Canadian MLS  Academy  team. The U20 was missing a few really good players. 

CSA doesn't care about the youth teams. If they did they wouldn't have put out crap like that. 

On 11/30/2017 at 4:14 PM, Jith12 said:

Maybe he is still eligible but having a Twitter profile like this isn't going to help his cause:Screenshot_20171130-161201.thumb.jpg.626eae93b76c3d2370ef45ee5acb85ca.jpg

A Leon Bailey flag?  I wonder where/when that pic is from.  For those who don't know, Bailey is Jamaica's hold out.. he is a stud on Leverkusen but isn't committed to Jamaica fully yet as he concentrates on his club career.

51 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Hahahaha ! Scouting you say!!! I hope your joking. U17 was  practically Canadian MLS  Academy  team. The U20 was missing a few really good players. 

CSA doesn't care about the youth teams. If they did they wouldn't have put out crap like that. 

Have evidence to back that up? Just because you think they should hire top coaches and hold regular tournaments and have the kids skip school to train with the other national team kids  doesn't mean the CSA doesn't care about the youth program.

Also what to expect us to have as our team? 90% of our best kids are in MLS academies 

Edited by matty

I wonder what other nations do with their youth teams? 

Yes,  Canada should have top coaches  coaching the national teams, we need to  qualify.  Everything that can be done for team Canada to be successful should be done. Yes I know the expectation level for  Canadian soccer by most fans is low. 

Also the U20 team was missing key players that would have made a huge difference. If they cared the CSA would have gotten those players. If other nations can get their players why can't Canada. 

The U17 team, I disagree that our all our best players are from MLS  academies. Not one player from the U18 PREMIER LEAGUE in England werent picked and we have about 5 players ( note yes Liam Millar was picked for the U20), We have a top goalie Axel Desjardins playing for Spezia Primavera not picked and there are other Canadian players playing inEuropean and South America  were not picked. If they really cared, a better team would have been picked. They lost to fucking CUBA !!!! CUBA!!!! 

The CSA Actions are pretty Clear and are all the  evidence I need.

matty they haven't even fired any of the coaching staff after both failures! They  even promoted Paul to help with the senior team!!! 

Edited by SpecialK

I wonder what other nations do with their youth teams? 

Yes,  Canada should have top coaches  coaching the national teams, we need to  qualify.  Everything that can be done for team Canada to be successful should be done. Yes I know the expectation level for  Canadian soccer by most fans is low. 

A TOP COACH WILL NOT QUALIFY CANADA FOR MAJOR TOURNAMENTS. IMPROVING OUR ACTUAL PROGRAM WILL.

Paul Simpson's role prior to taking over the England U20 gig, and winning the U20 World Cup, was coaching in the 7th tier of English football (having bombed at higher levels) and Di Biagio had no head or even senior coaching experience before taking over Italy's youth programs. We are following the same patterns as many of the best.

The U17 team, I disagree that our all our best players are from MLS  academies. Not one player from the U18 PREMIER LEAGUE in England werent picked and we have about 5 players ( note yes Liam Millar was picked for the U20), We have a top goalie Axel Desjardins playing for Spezia Primavera not picked and there are other Canadian players playing inEuropean and South America  were not picked. If they really cared, a better team would have been picked.

90% of our fucking pool is in MLS academies which is why such are large portion of our team is MLS based which is what you were complaining about.

Do you honestly think we should just call everyone in Europe?

We've also called up like 5 Premier League prospects for youth games this year.

...They lost to fucking CUBA !!!! CUBA!!!! 

And Greece and the senior level lost to the Faroe Islands twice. It's called shit that happens. We beat Costa Rica at the U15 level this year in an official tournament, what do you think of that? Did you know Paul coached them?

The CSA Actions are pretty Clear and are all the  evidence I need.

No they're evidence you're an over-reactive idiot who doesn't understand our programs biggest issues and simply wants feel good bandaids instead of real change.

Edited by matty

2 hours ago, Canknuckles said:

Your telling me that the best Toronto prospect is playing for Americans and the best Whitecaps prospect is playing for Jamaica. Lol

Like half of the Whitecaps academy is dual-national, and they are generally the better players. Fighting for dual-nationals will remain a constant of Canadian soccer for generations. 

Edited by harrycoyster

1 minute ago, harrycoyster said:

Like half of the Whitecaps academy is dual-national, and they are generally the better players. Fighting for dual-nationals will remain a constant of Canadian soccer for generations. 

I disagree in a way. While I can see it being an issue in regards to certain regions I think the classic UEFA national nabs our guy dying down.