General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

Just now, harrycoyster said:

The USAs three biggest youth tournaments are now paid for by Nike, Dr. Pepper, and Dick's Sporting Goods...but all started out as USSF funded.

True. Fingers crossed with the success of MLS, the launch of CPL and raised interest in the men's program, the CSA opts to do stuff. Maybe get Bell or Umbro to sponsor an U18 thing.

Thing would be a money loser likely but would be useful

What would be nice is CSA to host two tourneys a year perhaps mid to late spring and later mid to late summer maybe into early autumn. For both male and female youth, but location I'm not sure where maybe as someone previously posted future CPL location or within the big three. During winter going to tourney could be good USA, Mexico, and other places. 

4 minutes ago, matty said:

True. Fingers crossed with the success of MLS, the launch of CPL and raised interest in the men's program, the CSA opts to do stuff. Maybe get Bell or Umbro to sponsor an U18 thing.

All I know is that the US u17s have friendlies with Brazil, the Netherlands, England, Mexico and Colombia in the next six months and we haven't even named a u17 roster for this cycle yet. It's unacceptable. Sure, we don't have the deep pockets of the US or Mexico, but we had the money to send the u17 CWNT to tournaments in China and Spain this year...as well as host our own tournament in Burnaby. Yet the CSA can't start a Nike Friendlies style tournament for the boys? Not having it.

12 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

What would be nice is CSA to host two tourneys a year perhaps mid to late spring and later mid to late summer maybe into early autumn. For both male and female youth, but location I'm not sure where maybe as someone previously posted future CPL location or within the big three. During winter going to tourney could be good USA, Mexico, and other places. 

Yea it would be.

Something I think could be explored is partnering with another FA or two and doing a home and away thing. Sure there's a Caribbean nation or smaller Euro/African one would take us up on it. It would be low cost for everyone and would allow a few camps spread out nicely.

It's not much but it's something

15 minutes ago, matty said:

Why would it be a money loser ? If it was hosted in a  appropriate stadium 10-25  Thousand range and  against popular Nations or against nations were  populations originate from like Scotland in Halifax , France in Quebec, Japan and China in  Vancouver etc or cities  hungry for soccer. 

Look at the group that tried to put together that  exhibition pro game in Hamilton that turned out to be a huge failure. Why couldn't they put in Canada U20 vs England or Portugal, something like that it would  have probably been cheaper and  more successful. 

7 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Why would it be a money loser ? If it was hosted in a  appropriate stadium 10-25  Thousand range and  against popular Nations or against nations were  populations originate from like Scotland in Halifax , France in Quebec, Japan and China in  Vancouver etc or cities  hungry for soccer. 

Look at the group that tried to put together that  exhibition pro game in Hamilton that turned out to be a huge failure. Why couldn't they put in Canada U20 vs England or Portugal, something like that it would  have probably been cheaper and  more successful. 

It would likely lose cash cause there's limited appeal to youth teams (even the ones you listed). You would also likely be using a smaller venue (under 5k, CPL will actually really help this idea) for it to limit the cost to throw the event (again a lot of private money not CSA money).

Edited by matty

3 minutes ago, matty said:

It would likely lose cash cause there's limited appeal to youth teams. You would also likely be using a smaller venue (under 5k) for it to limit the cost to throw the event (again a lot of private money not CSA money).

That  temporary stadium idea in Halifax would be perfect. Also if you had the Millar , Davies and some other names in Europe and MLS playing. The appeal should be there. 

Yes it was the U20 World Cup but fan numbers were really good. 

Just now, SpecialK said:

That  temporary stadium idea in Halifax would be perfect. Also if you had the Millar , Davies and some other names in Europe and MLS playing. The appeal should be there. 

Yes it was the U20 World Cup but fan numbers were really good. 

I think Halifax would be a good site but don't think you'd make a profit even with hyped Canadian talent and say Uruguay U20. Likely you'd end up with 500 to 2000 people coming out per game. This type of tournament is likely more outreach than money maker.

The most likely thing to make something like this happen is if maybe an academy or stadium wants to show itself off a bit and says "hey CSA bring in some teams and we'll arrange accommodation for everyone and handle game day expenses" and Hershey Field ends up with Canada U20, Israel U20 and Papua New Guinea U20 for the Bell Let's Talk Sigma Cup in front of 200 people.

18 minutes ago, matty said:

I think Halifax would be a good site but don't think you'd make a profit even with hyped Canadian talent and say Uruguay U20. Likely you'd end up with 500 to 2000 people coming out per game. This type of tournament is likely more outreach than money maker.

The most likely thing to make something like this happen is if maybe an academy or stadium wants to show itself off a bit and says "hey CSA bring in some teams and we'll arrange accommodation for everyone and handle game day expenses" and Hershey Field ends up with Canada U20, Israel U20 and Papua New Guinea U20 for the Bell Let's Talk Sigma Cup in front of 200 people.

In my  opinion that's just bush league if they do something like that! 

Just now, SpecialK said:

In my  opinion that's just bush league if they do something like that! 

It's like 90% of these sorts of tournaments

Look you want to have a big U20 or U17 tournament raise like $500k, book King George V Park for a week and see if you can arrange Brazil U20 and Germany U20 to come over and if they do see if you can get a 10k a game average.

3 minutes ago, matty said:

It's like 90% of these sorts of tournaments

Look you want to have a big U20 or U17 tournament raise like $500k, book King George V Park for a week and see if you can arrange Brazil U20 and Germany U20 to come over and if they do see if you can get a 10k a game average.

Matty that would be sweet, I would fly to see that! 

Matty if you had Scotland U20, Ireland U20 , USA U20 you don't think you can get 5000-10,000 in Halifax ? Also if you had CPL, CSA , sponsors and  Government funds ? 

Anyone living in Halifax ? What's the soccer support like ? 

1 minute ago, SpecialK said:

Matty that would be sweet, I would fly to see that! 

Matty if you had Scotland U20, Ireland U20 , USA U20 you don't think you can get 5000-10,000 in Halifax ? Also if you had CPL, CSA , sponsors and  Government funds ? 

Anyone living in Halifax ? What's the soccer support like ? 

No because U20 isn't that big of a draw. Yes hardcore would turn out but casuals would be turned off. I think 3k is maybe possible but unlikely.

It's better to just let a tournament happen for the experience rather than funds.

30 minutes ago, matty said:

No because U20 isn't that big of a draw. Yes hardcore would turn out but casuals would be turned off. I think 3k is maybe possible but unlikely.

It's better to just let a tournament happen for the experience rather than funds.

It would be nice to get both haha

I was just looking through the women’s Wikipedia page, I was just in aw then I started to question, is the CSA biased towards the women’s team to the men’s or just huge mismanagement of the men’s national program or both ?

Yes they are elite  team and have one of the best women’s football player in the world. But some of things are questionable. For example 

coaching

Women’s Team : from 2000 until now - they have had international proven or pro managers - 3 managers in 17 years

Men’s Team : From 2000 until now - 9 managers have gone through and 2 managers 3X around. Basically only 4 out the 9 with pro and or international experience as manager. 

Games 

Women’s team - yes the women’s team in general play more games because they  qualify for the Olympics and World Cups but... they play more friendlies. Just this year alone 2017 - 12 games and 4 of them played in Canada. 

Men’s team - 5 friendlies, 2 of them played in Canada and 4 gold cup games. 

I wonder if the men’s team would be better if they played 12 friendlies a year ?

I wonder if that’s why the men’s team didn’t  play last window because the women’s team had 3 friendlies in November?

Hey maybe it’s just  coincidence and I’m over thinking it or I’m  completely wrong and/ or pissed that there is no games  scheduled, no huge news or big  announcements for the men’s team. Yes the women’s game is different from the men’s but it just seems fishy to me. 

Edited by SpecialK

5 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Games 

Women’s team - yes the women’s team in general play more games because they  qualify for the Olympics and World Cups but... they play more friendlies. Just this year alone 2017 - 12 games and 4 of them played in Canada. 

Men’s team - 5 friendlies, 2 of them played in Canada and 4 gold cup games. 

I wonder if the men’s team would be better if they played 12 friendlies a year ?

I wonder if that’s why the men’s team didn’t  play last window because the women’s team had 3 friendlies in November?

Hey maybe it’s just  coincidence and I’m over thinking it or I’m  completely wrong and/ or pissed that there is no games  scheduled, no huge news or big  announcements for the men’s team. Yes the women’s game is different from the men’s but it just seems fishy to me. 

The women's friendlies makes money, the men's friendlies lose money. Simple as that. 

3 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

The women's friendlies makes money, the men's friendlies lose money. Simple as that. 

I agree with you there, they do make money, but if the CSA spent money on getting bigger nations in to play, the men’s team would make a lot of money. You don’t make money playing Curaçao. 

You gonna spend money to make money. 

The problem is that the bigger countries demand astronomical appearance fees and also have to keep their sponsors happy in terms of ratings for their friendly games, which may not be so high as they would normally be if they are playing a lower ranked country that doesn't normally qualify for the World Cup like Canada. If the strategy you are describing was really feasible, the CSA would already be doing it. On the bright side, a joint 2026 World Cup hosting should draw in teams in the years and months building up to it. Without doing any googling to jog my memory, I can remember Scotland (who were a lot stronger 25 years ago), Holland, Germany and Brazil (Beerduuuuuuuscoooo) all being in Canada in the early to mid-90s even when it was just the US solo hosting.

42 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The problem is that the bigger countries demand astronomical appearance fees and also have to keep their sponsors happy in terms of ratings for their friendly games, which may not be so high as they would normally be if they are playing a lower ranked country that doesn't normally qualify for the World Cup like Canada. If the strategy you are describing was really feasible, the CSA would already be doing it. On the bright side, a joint 2026 World Cup hosting should draw in teams in the years and months building up to it. Without doing any googling to jog my memory, I can remember Scotland (who were a lot stronger 25 years ago), Holland, Germany and Brazil (Beerduuuuuuuscoooo) all being in Canada in the early to mid-90s even when it was just the US solo hosting.

0943D909-5C04-46AE-8B78-899A17206141.jpeg

Edited by SpecialK

6 hours ago, SpecialK said:

I agree with you there, they do make money, but if the CSA spent money on getting bigger nations in to play, the men’s team would make a lot of money. You don’t make money playing Curaçao. 

You gonna spend money to make money. 

Jamaica in September was the 2nd biggest friendly Canada has ever played and Curacao was not about making money. For friendlies are more useful to Canada than playing Argentina.

Also you do not understand economics. The men's team costs more and grosses less than the women's team. You get that right? Also no the men's team would not be better because it's about other things than just playing together.

4 hours ago, SpecialK said:

DF14302C-B25A-4B70-9BCC-D3D10E462861.jpeg

Was at the Germany game:

Too bad all the university stadiums now have hideously marked fieldturf. Varsity Stadium was great for soccer back in the day at least when the Varsity Blues (think that's right for UofT?) didn't have games. Think there's a good chance the CMNT could get a warmup game like that again at BMO Field. Hopefully next time around there will be some home supporters as the crowd was >90% cheering for Germany. You were really swimming against the tide taking an interest in Canadian soccer back then after the original NASL and then the original CSL had died.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Too bad all the university stadiums now have hideously marked fieldturf. Varsity Stadium was great for soccer back in the day at least when the Varsity Blues (think that's right for UofT?) didn't have games. Think there's a good chance the CMNT could get a warmup game like that again at BMO Field. Hopefully next time around there will be some home supporters as the crowd was >90% cheering for Germany. You were really swimming against the tide taking an interest in Canadian soccer back then after the original NASL and then the original CSL had died.

Would be curious to see the modern ratio against a high profile team. TheJamaica game seemed very Canadian but can't recall what the Mexico turnout was like.

What cha think: 40-60? 50-50?

I don't follow women's soccer that closely, but another factor in the number of games I believe would be that I don't think they have a strict international calendar like the men. Or at least, there are more opportunities to play games than there are for the men, due to the club game not being nearly as busy for women as it is for men.

For example, CWNT played just yesterday against Norway. There is no way the CMNT would have been able to play a game yesterday.

18 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Lenarduzzi (attacking), Holger (conservative), Yallop (attacking), Mitchell (clueless), Hart (attacking), Floro (conservative), OZ (attacking).  Its insane. 

It's the Homer Simpson strategy for coaching.

Homer: Keep your head down, follow through.

<Bart misses the putt>

Homer: OK, that didn't work. this time move your head and don't follow through.

31 minutes ago, Kent said:

I don't follow women's soccer that closely, but another factor in the number of games I believe would be that I don't think they have a strict international calendar like the men. Or at least, there are more opportunities to play games than there are for the men, due to the club game not being nearly as busy for women as it is for men.

For example, CWNT played just yesterday against Norway. There is no way the CMNT would have been able to play a game yesterday.

The game yesterday was during an international break for women. (http://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/02/78/12/40/circularno.1535-2017fifawomensinternationalmatchcalendar_neutral.pdf) The WNT only played outside of international breaks twice this year - once at the beginning of February, outside of the North American club season (which the men's team...also generally does) and then the series against the US, which yes, was likely made possible due to so many of the USWNT/CanWNT players being NWSL-based and them being in their off-season - and they also skipped playing during two breaks (September & October). But they're hardly running around scheduling women's friendlies all the time with no regard for the international calendar or anything.