Gold Cup Knockout round- Roster adjustments

Now that we are though to the knockout round we are able to edit our 23 man roster with 6 players from the 40 man roster.  

Who do we think that will be?

eligible players:

GK- Simon Thomas | NOR / FK Bodø/Glimt

CB- Milovan Kapor | SVK / FC ViOn Zlaté Moravce

FB- Juan Córdova | CHI / CD Huachipato

FB- Andrés Fresenga | URU / Cerro Largo FC

FB- Nik Ledgerwood | CAN / FC Edmonton

FB- Tyler Pasher | USA / Sporting Kansas City

M- Tesho Akindele | USA / FC Dallas

M- Kwame Awuah | USA / New York City FC

M- Marco Bustos | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
M- David Choinière | CAN / Impact Montréal FC

M- Kianz Froese | GER / Fortuna Düsseldorf
M- Nicolas Galvis | Unattached

M- Will Johnson | USA / Orlando City SC

F- Marcus Haber | SCO / Dundee FC

F- Simeon Jackson | ENG / Walsall FC
F- Cyle Larin | USA / Orlando City SC

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Big_M said:

No changes. These players got us here so stay with them

Exactly, these boys got us to this point so they deserve to finish it off. No injuries so no need to change

I think if OZ hasn't used Edwards by now he won't be coming on in a knockout match. If Davies is fully healthy Edwards is the one I'd send home if Larin joins the team. Not because I don't rate him, necessarily, but because he doesn't appear to be in Zambrano's plans.

Larin and Johnson in, AJH and Straith out... Kaye has played in two matches so I don't see him getting the axe.

Would like to add Cordova in, but can't see who else to drop.

Edit: could be Edwards, has gone unused...

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I'm not expecting to see Johnson with the team as I didn't really buy the line of reasoning for why he wasn't in the 23-man squad in the first place.

Me neither, but I want him.

I'd say stick with the players you got.  There's a reason Zambrano picked the best 23 man squad, even with Edwards.  Stick with the players and make them believe.  The next WCQ campaign, we can have more competition for posts.  Its been eons since the Nats have competition for all positions and not just pick someone just because.  Everybody is gonna have to earn there keep

34 minutes ago, Big_M said:

No changes. These players got us here so stay with them

I very much suspect that Zambrano would agree with this. In principle I do too. We have no injury that would make the call easier for us. Stay with the same group, you decide to do that you give a huge boost to team morale. Even Straith would be saying, well  just might get on here too.

OZ does have a committment to bringing Larin into the mix, so he may make an exception. I imagine that he will talk to players not getting time, or others keen to get back to clubs or looking for a new team. 

Problem is, you call a guy in, and he does not play: Straith, Edwards. What do you say, you can go home I don't need you. Not so nice, that creates a problem. You ca also say: remember what we spoke about before, well that time has come. But only, of course, if he has had the conversation before.

30 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I think if OZ hasn't used Edwards by now he won't be coming on in a knockout match. If Davies is fully healthy Edwards is the one I'd send home if Larin joins the team. Not because I don't rate him, necessarily, but because he doesn't appear to be in Zambrano's plans.

To OZ's credit, he has found a way to use just about every player and play to their strengths. If Edwards is on the roster, it's because Zambrano thinks he has something to contribute. Wait and see.

If (as mentioned) Larin will join the team now, I can only hope he's beyond hungry and we finally see Orlando Larin ready to show out for Canada. If he doesn't, then I hope he's taking the place of someone who hasn't stepped foot on the field this tournament. It's been nearly ten years since we left the group stage of the Gold Cup - stick with the unit that broke a curse.

Larin, but I'm not sure I'd start him over Cavallini. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Larin has only played one competitive match since he last played with Canada back on June 13th...so he might not be 100% on form...but he'd still be the best sub for Cavallini 

Also have to think Johnson would add depth.

Edit: though on further thought...it would be interesting to see how Larin would do on this current team. we have been a lot better offensively than we were under Floro. Larin would probably have more service/chances in these last few games than he had the last few years...

I get the whole "dance with the one who brang you" idea, but we are also in a position to make a major impact in a tournament - and even actually have an outside chance of winning it all (or at least of making a final).  Sentimentality aside, I don't know how we don't call up a guy like Larin, even if it is at the expense of a current squad player.  We may have 5 goals, but 4 of them were against FG, so while this has been an encouraging group stage for us, let's not pretend the goals are flowing against the better teams.  And while Larin has sometimes underwhelmed in a Nat jersey, I think most of us think he will come good at some point.

Edwards hasn't kicked a ball yet, AJH hasn't displaced Cav, Kaye showed last night why he isn't quite ready yet.  I wouldn't make wholesale changes, but Larin is a bit of an exception - especially since OZ allegedly committed to calling him in if we made it this far.

Archived