Gold Cup Knockout round- Roster adjustments

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, 1996 said:

Lol you guys are all going cucu, and that is why we have done shit since we won this thing in 2000, of course you call in reinforcements even to give a guy like a Larin another experience in a Gold Cup that might help him and whoever else is called in future World Cup qualifying and Gold Cups!

Actually, no, you don't. 

I am not saying don't call him and ignoring the reasons you listed. In normal circumstances, sure, I agree with you. Larin is not currently in "normal circumstances." He needs to stay away right now.

5 hours ago, 1996 said:

However, the US who has qualified for every World Cup since 1990 has already called in new players for the next round,  and Canada who has not qualified since 1986 and who has not even made the bloody Hex since Lenarduzzi was a win away from making it to the big show in USA 1994 should not call in any reinforcements , come on people wake up don't let this little success get to your heads, of course you call in reinforcements!

it's got nothing to do with "little success" son. Take a step back and think a minute.

19 hours ago, Free kick said:

Regarding Babouli, the CSA never called him anyways except for that u23 Pan Am games tournament which was actually a non Official tournament.   And, as far as we can tell, he would have been available for the this tournament. He is playing in league 1 i think.  Hence i dont think that there is any bone of contention there over the fact that he was released by TFC. 

My post was completely tongue in cheek, I don't actually think Zambrano was planning to call Babouli (although he was called to the Bermuda camp earlier in the year before TFC cut him to make room for a guy who still hasn't even scored for TFC II and was used by them in Olympic qualifying two years ago). I was just getting another shot in for what I think was (and still remains) a dumb move by TFC.

I'd bring in Larin, maybe Johnson, but OZ must think about what is best for this program over the longer term, not just this tournament. Lots of factors to consider: 1) Advancing to the semis or finals could be a great boost for the program's morale 2) Sticking with the group that got us to the QFs shows that OZ will reward hard work and commitment 3) But bringing a top player like Larin into the squad shows we are committed to winning, and that should be something that all the players want to see, even if they get bumped to the bench or off the squad. 4) And yet, the morale of the team going forward is key, and how OZ is perceived by the players certainly matters. IF he has already indicated that he will bring in replacements, then nobody in the squad should be surprised or overly upset, especially if he manages expectations properly. If Edwards gets bumped because Larin and Johnson come on board, then OZ should have a chat with Edwards to talk about the great strides the young man has been making and how he sees an important future for the kid with the MNT, especially as Edwards grows as a footballer.

Lots of pieces to consider, but this is akin to the World Hockey Championships, where Canada ALWAYS sends new recruits as players get eliminated from the playoffs. I'd bring Larin into the fold, for sure. And I'd bring Johnson, too.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

It's not only them. Nagbe, Dempsey and Howard have also joined up already. They are not allowed to play until the knockouts. Only train presumably.

Yes, it's no different from Costa Rica calling in Kendall Waston after their first game even though he is ineligible to play until the quarters. I'm not sure what the big deal is.

According to Gavin Day roster changes were supposed to be within 24 hrs of our last group game.  However maybe they've been submitted but not announced yet.

I would love to see Larin and Akindele because I'm very curious to see how both play within this new system.  I think we need to somewhat throw out what guys failed to accomplish in the Floro days.  Larin thrives on better service in Orlando.  Akindele thrives with dynamic players around him in what has been for years a dynamic offense in Dallas.  

Injury is another wildcard.  If Cavallini goes down in the quarters, I'd rather depend on Larin for big minutes than AJH at this point. If Davies or Hoilett goes down, Akindele might be a better option in the intricate passing sytem we're sometimes managed to play than Ricketts.   

So who goes?  Most agree on Kaye as obvious choice.  As much as I like them both I'd say either Edwards or Ricketts for second.  TFC will want someone back with Bradley and Altidore gone and Osorio was fantastic against Honduras so I'd keep him..

Just now, apbsmith said:

So we did not make any changes? If that's the case, I respect OZ's decision.

They might have, they just didn't announce it yet

Just now, apbsmith said:

Oh ok thanks. So when are the final roster adjustments made public? I assume 24 hours after the last game?

Aha no idea. I just got my info from the recent wakingthered article

WoW! Mexico is making NO changes to their team and the US is bring in some MLS big guns with 6 big changes. 

GK Jesse Gonzalez,

GK Tim Howard 

MF Michael Bradley 

MF Darlington Nagbe

FW Jozy Altidore 

FW Clint Dempsey 

Cyle Larin and Will Johnson should to be added at least. Mark-Anthony Kaye has played well but made some mistakes because he's young . But like the US, Canada needs to go for the win. ( Canada really needs the win). There will be a ton of games for Kaye in the future. 

I would love to see Juan Córdova and Tesho Akindele come in but  realistically they're not needed. And no clear upgrade. 

The team is playing well and the guys are playing hard, it will be a really tough  decision which players to take out and add.  This is a great problem to have.

After thinking about roster changes over and over lol.  

I would bring in Larin and yes WJ.  However, I would not start either over Cavillini or Bernier/Osorio. 

Yes it helps the depth but honestly, I think both are capable of taking quality PK's, which could very well happen with our last 2 matches ending in ties after 90 mins. 

Order:  Total successful penalties in career according to "transfermarket", likely missing youth tournaments etc.

• Bernier (11/12 most recent 2014)
  • Vitoria (9/9  all from  2012-2013 season, wow impressive stat)
  • Johnson (8/9 but has NOT taken one since 2014)
  • Arfield (6/8, but has not scored one since 2010)
  • Cavallini (2/2 and as recent as March 2017)
  • Hoilett ( 2/4 recently missed for us)
  • Teibert ( 1/1 scored in WCQ vs Dominica)
  • Larin (0/1 miss may 2017)
  • Davies (none on record, I can't imagine he hasn't taken any when he was younger)
  • Osorio (none on record)
  • Dejong (none on record)

That would be my pool of 11 to select from, if Larin or WJ took one I would not be able to make the argument against it.

Side note;

Milan Borjan - Saved 8/28 and  his last STOP coming as recent as Feb 2017.

Going to re-post this in the pre game thread once we know opponent and official roster.

Yes, team morale is very important and making mass changes can cause great upset within the squad. But, given what we've seen of Zambrano's communication to the media (and fans), I'd have to think he had a chat with many of the players about their particular circumstances. E.g. MAK, you've been called to the GC but may be replaced after group stage. You're part of the future of this Team, so get experience from the camp, show what you can offer, and you may play a more prominent role next time.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about the team if there are limited changes.

3 hours ago, Keegan said:

We need to make changes.. why not? We are playing well but not spectacular..

Exactly. Let's not pretend that was world class football on display in the first round. We're starting to show glimpses of the quality football we are clearly now able to play. But it has to be a lot better to progress any further in this tournament.

We need to win so the roster needs to be as strong as possible. Bring in whoever is needed - Larin and Johnson for sure.

If beating Curacao gets you 1000 points when we win the first two games in the knockout it will go along way to giving us some serious points and bump us up the Concacaf standings. And if we win the whole thing we would jump over quite a few teams and then we need to play some friendlies against UEFA teams in the 100's to earn some more higher point victories before the Nations thing kicks in.

58 minutes ago, nolando said:

Exactly. Let's not pretend that was world class football on display in the first round. We're starting to show glimpses of the quality football we are clearly now able to play. But it has to be a lot better to progress any further in this tournament.

You think we need to be "a lot" better to beat Jamaica or El Salvador?

6 hours ago, RickC said:

Yes, team morale is very important and making mass changes can cause great upset within the squad. But, given what we've seen of Zambrano's communication to the media (and fans), I'd have to think he had a chat with many of the players about their particular circumstances. E.g. MAK, you've been called to the GC but may be replaced after group stage. You're part of the future of this Team, so get experience from the camp, show what you can offer, and you may play a more prominent role next time.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about the team if there are limited changes.

I agree.  It's a big part of being a pro.  Not different from a club situation when you have to sit for a big match.  Some guys handle it well, others sulk, especially those who think they are kind of a big deal, in the words of Ron Burgundy.  I think you could probably pull Straith and he'd have the maturity and class to deal with it.  Not so sure about some of the younger guys in the squad, however.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

You think we need to be "a lot" better to beat Jamaica or El Salvador?

To beat them easily yes

Now we enter games with the idea of trying to score and we still have a pretty solid defensive shape.  We are in the mix with just about everyone in Concacaf and won't it be nice when we get a lot better and we can almost assume that we will beat El Salvador and Jamaica with a solid effort.  Like the US needing 3 and then going out and getting 3.  Until then enjoy the ride.

Archived