Gold Cup Knockout round- Roster adjustments

9 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

I don't think it is that of an unpopular opinion. Just thought he could be worth being considered. However with no injuries, it likely won't happen. In the future though I'm sure OZ will give him a look.

he should certainly give him a look, but I would not agree with him being swapped for Edwards

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

I haven't seen that, though maybe they said that they will do so upon qualification as I didn't think they could be officially called until a team is officially qualified into the next round. It's only mathematically possible for the US to be eliminated at this stage (Martinique-Panama draw, El Salvador-Jamaica draw and an extremely unlikely 3-0 loss to Nicaragua could do theoretically do it).

Wouldn't a 1-0 loss to Nicaragua and a 1-1 tie between Jamaica and ES, with a tie between Panama and Mart sent the US to a coin flip with ES?

5 minutes ago, Addona said:

Wouldn't a 1-0 loss to Nicaragua and a 1-1 tie between Jamaica and ES, with a tie between Panama and Mart sent the US to a coin flip with ES?

Actually, if Panama and Mart tie, and US lose, then even an ES 1 goal win sends them out ... it won't happen of course but US isn't guaranteed of anything yet.

5 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I wonder if club requests for the un/little used TFC players will come into play, particularly if Panama & the US also make it and Bruce Arena calls up Bradley and Altidore, which I think seems likely given how unsatisfying the US has been (despite the number of points they have got heading into the game against another minnow).

I can picture a conversation like this:

Vanney: Hey Oz, any chance you can bring up Larin and give me back Ricketts? Bruce just took another striker from me leaving with just Giovinco, Hamilton and Spencer as striker options, and as everyone can see, Spencer's not very good.

Oz: Greg, that's what you get for cutting Mo Babouli for some guy who used to sleep on your couch who can't even play. When I was your coach, did you ever see me cut a guy in favour of someone who slept on my couch?

Vanney: No, but there were so many crap players who couldn't play in MLS back in those days, regardless of who's couch they slept on.

Oz: All right, fine you can have Ricketts back but in return you need to make a public statement like "Will Johnson isn't good enough any longer to play internationally" so as to inspire him to accept the call up.

Vanney: Deal

I have a funny feeling that the club (TFC) and the CSA and its NT coaches are actually not talking.  I wonder if they are even on speaking terms?  This would seem evident to me based on the way players are utilised and have been utilised in the last several years.  I cant imagine the club being happy with the way their players are rated by the national team coaches given that up until this year there was no evidence that the pro clubs other that TFC were contributing much to the possible NT's player pool and player development as a whole.  This year (as we saw in the v cup final , AJH exploits in MLS and with the play of A. Davies so far) is the first year that we saw something truly interesting from the other MLS canadian teams as far as Canadian talent.

For TFC,  yes, player development benefits them first and foremost as an organization for selfish reasons of course.  But National team contribution and minutes is that extra validation of those efforts.  So imagine how the club feels when they look at where they are in the league standing and the number of starts, playing minutes and contibutions by their Canadians and see that the NT has NASL or USL'ers ahead of them on the pecking order?

Regarding Babouli, the CSA never called him anyways except for that u23 Pan Am games tournament which was actually a non Official tournament.   And, as far as we can tell, he would have been available for the this tournament. He is playing in league 1 i think.  Hence i dont think that there is any bone of contention there over the fact that he was released by TFC. 

16 minutes ago, Addona said:

US is +1 in GD...losing would mean at best 0 in GD with 4 points.

11 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Regarding Babouli, the CSA never called him anyways except for that u23 Pan Am games tournament which was actually a non Official tournament.   And, as far as we can tell, he would have been available for the this tournament. He is playing in league 1 i think.  Hence i dont think that there is any bone of contention there over the fact that he was released by TFC. 

In addition to the Pan Ams, Babouli was called up the U23 Olympic Qualifiers in 2015, scoring once on a free kick.

25 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

US is +1 in GD...losing would mean at best 0 in GD with 4 points.

Right, so if they lose 1-0 and Panama-Mart tie, the U.S. is in third.  If ES beats Jamaica by 1, then ES goes to 6 points, and Jamaica has 4 with a +1 GD.  U.S. would be out ... they would FUCKING lose their minds if this happened, since the Malouda thing will have screwed them over royally ... WOW, now I really want this to happen just to see the commentators' heads explode over French Guiana screwing them.

4 minutes ago, Addona said:

Right, so if they lose 1-0 and Panama-Mart tie, the U.S. is in third.  If ES beats Jamaica by 1, then ES goes to 6 points, and Jamaica has 4 with a +1 GD.  U.S. would be out ... they would FUCKING lose their minds if this happened, since the Malouda thing will have screwed them over royally ... WOW, now I really want this to happen just to see the commentators' heads explode over French Guiana screwing them.

well like you said above also it's possible if ES ties that could be in deadlock with US and would require coin flip..or whatever they do for the final tiebreaker.  Either way It's an unlikely scenario as I don't think US is losing to Nicaragua.

Just need Larin for Straith or Edwards. 

Cordova isn't coming since the OZ said he wants him to stay with his club. Johnson unlikely to start since we have Bernier & Peitte and then Tiebert & Kaye to sub in + issues around him recuperating healthwise. Tesho also unlikely to start or be in subbed ahead of Hoillett, Arfield, DeJong, Davies, Osorio, and even Edwards since he doesn't bring anything distinctly superior. 

15 hours ago, jonovision said:

I think if OZ hasn't used Edwards by now he won't be coming on in a knockout match. If Davies is fully healthy Edwards is the one I'd send home if Larin joins the team. Not because I don't rate him, necessarily, but because he doesn't appear to be in Zambrano's plans.

It's odd he hasn't played, and if he hasn't at this point when everyone else has he is indeed unlikely to play a role in a knockout match. If a change must be made for Larin then this is it.

I don't think any changes should be made.

49 minutes ago, ThiKu said:

It's odd he hasn't played, and if he hasn't at this point when everyone else has he is indeed unlikely to play a role in a knockout match. If a change must be made for Larin then this is it.

I don't think any changes should be made.

However, the US who has qualified for every World Cup since 1990 has already called in new players for the next round,  and Canada who has not qualified since 1986 and who has not even made the bloody Hex since Lenarduzzi was a win away from making it to the big show in USA 1994 should not call in any reinforcements , come on people wake up don't let this little success get to your heads, of course you call in reinforcements!

57 minutes ago, ThiKu said:

no changes - unless someone is injured and unlikely to play anymore.

Lol you guys are all going cucu, and that is why we have done shit since we won this thing in 2000, of course you call in reinforcements even to give a guy like a Larin another experience in a Gold Cup that might help him and whoever else is called in future World Cup qualifying and Gold Cups!

4 hours ago, Free kick said:

I have a funny feeling that the club (TFC) and the CSA and its NT coaches are actually not talking.  I wonder if they are even on speaking terms?  This would seem evident to me based on the way players are utilised and have been utilised in the last several years.  I cant imagine the club being happy with the way their players are rated by the national team coaches given that up until this year there was no evidence that the pro clubs other that TFC were contributing much to the possible NT's player pool and player development as a whole.  This year (as we saw in the v cup final , AJH exploits in MLS and with the play of A. Davies so far) is the first year that we saw something truly interesting from the other MLS canadian teams as far as Canadian talent.

For TFC,  yes, player development benefits them first and foremost as an organization for selfish reasons of course.  But National team contribution and minutes is that extra validation of those efforts.  So imagine how the club feels when they look at where they are in the league standing and the number of starts, playing minutes and contibutions by their Canadians and see that the NT has NASL or USL'ers ahead of them on the pecking order?

Regarding Babouli, the CSA never called him anyways except for that u23 Pan Am games tournament which was actually a non Official tournament.   And, as far as we can tell, he would have been available for the this tournament. He is playing in league 1 i think.  Hence i dont think that there is any bone of contention there over the fact that he was released by TFC. 

No the CSA hates TFC because with all their success in the stands and off the field and the exposure TFC has given soccer in Canada since they started in 2007 the CSA really hates that I have to agree there must be a big rift there!

Send Kaye home he was a liability when he came on last night, we were lucky because of that Borjan miracle save or else it might have been a loss. Let Kaye make a team higher than a USL team before you bring him in next time, Edwards is the real deal, how many good left footers do we really have anyways, and he has proved that by playing major minutes on one of the best MLS teams and also producing that he deserves to stay on the roster.

Regarding Babouli it shows that this guy really did not want it enough, because ever since he was released with TFC we have not heard anything about him trying to latch onto another MLS team, or even an USL team or even an NASL team or trying his luck in Europe, instead if it's true he is playing in League 1 Ontario that shows me that he just never had a real desire to go for it. You need talent but also a real desire to make it in any sport. it looks like this guy gave up at the first sign of adversity at the pro level.

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

However, the US who has qualified for every World Cup since 1990 has already called in new players for the next round,  and Canada who has not qualified since 1986 and who has not even made the bloody Hex since Lenarduzzi was a win away from making it to the big show in USA 1994 should not call in any reinforcements , come on people wake up don't let this little success get to your heads, of course you call in reinforcements!

Slight apples to oranges comparison...US has better guys to bring in and who are already in N America...aside from Larin and Johnson is there anyone in N America Canada could bring in? 

7 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Molinaro said they're already with the US team, which is bullshit and so very Concacafy.

It's not only them. Nagbe, Dempsey and Howard have also joined up already. They are not allowed to play until the knockouts. Only train presumably.

1 hour ago, mrstepp817 said:

Slight apples to oranges comparison...US has better guys to bring in and who are already in N America...aside from Larin and Johnson is there anyone in N America Canada could bring in? 

Well they both need to be called in already what's the hold up then? I might not saying  they need to come in and start but they will be great depth on the bench, send Straith and Kaye home.

10 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Would add, given that there is now a much greater chance of going to penalties with no extra time in the next two rounds (which I don't like - give me golden goal over that if a change needed to be made), call-ups should also be made with PK abilities in mind. I think Bernier is the only regular club PK taker on the entire team. Johnson has taken a few over the years as well (but isn't in the squad) - Larin rarely takes them for Orlando mind you and I think missed the only one he had, but he ought to be able to finish them. Ricketts chose not to take one in the playoffs last year for TFC (allowing a defender to be the 6th taker, Morrow, who of course missed).

People on this board have said that Vitoria has scored a lot of penalties. I don't remember the numbers but he had a crazy number of goals for a defender in a season or two span and the explanation I read on here is that he was taking penalties. I don't know if he still does but I imagine he would be an option if we went to a shoot out.

We don't have any injuries so I would be tempted to not call anybody. However, the circumstances with Larin and the fact that Zambrano has said he will be invited means he could be the exception. Personally I would pick Kaye to take one for the team. But I wouldn't have called him up in the first place (I should say though that I haven't seen him play outside of his appearances for Canada), and wouldn't have put him on the field in the games he has played. I would have played Edwards, at least last game. Looks to me like Zambrano would send Edwards, maybe AJH, home.

Archived