CPL Season Schedule

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, KW519 said:

The idea that a team that doesn't win either season could be crowned champion kinda sucks. I don't know if this is me just nit picking because i'm against the format, but it seems a lot like a playoff

This format sucks the big one. Illogical and unquestionably counter to what they had already announced. So, in one fell swoop they lose credibility and impose a ridiculous format on the first season. Massive FAIL.

2 hours ago, footballfreak said:

Breakdown of Pacific FC by day. Home games in brackets.

Saturday 12 (7)

Sunday 4 (2)

Monday 1 (1)

Tuesday 0 

Wednesday 10 (4)

Thursday 1 (0)

Friday 0

That's a lot of midweek games. Also a bit Surprised that there’s no Friday night games.

Valour Home (14):

Sat: 5

Thu: 4

Wed: 3

Holiday Mon: 2

Valour Away (14):

Sun: 1

Sat: 7

Wed: 5

Holiday Mon: 1

22 minutes ago, Serie_AHH said:

Tell that to the players and coaches that run the table for 6 months and are clearly the best team but don't get a recognized as such. 

We are in North America. Playoffs are deeply ingrained in North American sports culture. At least we have a championship final.

5 minutes ago, gator said:

While you guys grumble about the schedule I’m looking at cheap flights to Halifax and Winnipeg! ?

See you on Thursday! Hope that works out well for work!

Valour told everybody that "most" of the games would be Friday evening or Saturday afternoon. And by "most" it turns out they meant 5 out of 15!

No wonder they took so long to release it. It must have taken much more effort than expected to fuck it up this badly!

5 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

We are in North America. Playoffs are deeply ingrained in North American sports culture. At least we have a championship final.

Ah, that must be what the league meant when they said they would be doing something that was "different for North America".

16 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

I understand that, I get the rationale of wanting to have a showcase game, I'm not against playoffs or a final.  It's the disclaimer that is the problem. There is no real argument that can be made that if a team wins both the Spring and Fall seasons that they shouldn't be the champion.  

If you want to have playoffs then have a full season with playoffs/championship game.  1st gets into the final, 2nd and 3rd playoff to get in the final.  Also, if the excuse for a split season is that you have to decide who of the "Chosen 3" goes into CL you just have them play a mini-league within the first 10 games (i.e. they play each other home and away in that time).  

I would have preferred in the scenario where the same team wins both the spring and fall seasons they kept the same format for the CPL Championship, winner of both Spring and Fall versus the best second place team but instead of also awarding the CL spot to the CPL Champion the spot goes to the winner of both seasons. That would incentivize the spring winner to remain competitive but also allow the other teams to still strive for second place. It would reward success for success over both seasons but also allow for a championship game which I'm sure the league wants/needs.

31 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

The championship final is literally the worst thing about the format. Are you seriously suggesting that it's a great thing that the spring season winner doesn't have any reason to care about the fall season other than pride?

Also, the league is here to entertain soccer fans, not baseball fans or hockey fans or football fans because the vast majority of them don't care about soccer. "North American sports culture" does not exist, sports culture varies greatly across different sports and regions, and the majority of soccer fans in Canada watch leagues that don't have corny championship playoffs.

5 minutes ago, Zem said:

The championship final is literally the worst thing about the format. Are you seriously suggesting that it's a great thing that the spring season winner doesn't have any reason to care about the fall season other than pride?

Also, the league is here to entertain soccer fans, not baseball fans or hockey fans or football fans because the vast majority of them don't care about soccer. "North American sports culture" does not exist, sports culture varies greatly across different sports and regions, and the majority of soccer fans in Canada watch leagues that don't have corny championship playoffs.

Amen!

8 minutes ago, Zem said:

dude the playoff is NOT the worst thing at all. the one week intermission is. it strips a lot of the excitememt a second half could have because a week isn't long enough to make noteworthy changes and turm 7th place into a champion.

second the league isn't here to entertain, it's to improve canadian soccer. it needs fans and you know what most of the fans the league will have will be hockey, baseball and football fans first. the vast majority of canadian soccer fans DO watch leagues with playoffs including mls.

you also know that most, if not all, (mainland) north american soccer leagues have playoffs right? all the continental ones do.

11 minutes ago, Zem said:

It’s not a great thing. As I previously mentioned in this thread, I would have preferred one 28-game season. I don’t like the apertura/clausura format. But I believe we need a championship final nonetheless.

7 minutes ago, matty said:

dude the playoff is NOT the worst thing at all. the one week intermission is. it strips a lot of the excitememt a second half could have because a week isn't long enough to make noteworthy changes and turm 7th place into a champion.

second the league isn't here to entertain, it's to improve canadian soccer. it needs fans and you know what most of the fans the league will have will be hockey, baseball and football fans first. the vast majority of canadian soccer fans DO watch leagues with playoffs including mls.

you also know that most, if not all, (mainland) north american soccer leagues have playoffs right? all the continental ones do.

And this illustrates precisely why the apertura/clausura format makes some sense when the two seasons are separated by the New Year, and no sense otherwise.

8 minutes ago, Zem said:

If soccer fans in Canada watch North American based-soccer leagues they are used to playoffs.  MLS, USL, League 1 Ontario, U-Sports, colleges, outlawed CSL etc.  

2 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

And this illustrates precisely why the apertura/clausura format makes some sense when the two seasons are separated by the New Year, and no sense otherwise.

oh this version makes almost no sense. like there's a transfer window in july they could have built the window around and for some reason did not. 

I think the CSA wrench on CONCACAF League qualifications is the reason for the imbalance as CONCACAF League starts in July. Would have been easier to just have the team with the most points by Canada day and than top 2 meets in CPL Finals.

I'm thinking that the CSA arbitrary CL qualifications formula threw yet another wrench into the league's schedule. Add to that the uneven start point of CPL teams in the Canadian Championship.

I doubt that the league are idiots but some wrench being thrown their way made their life harder than it need to be...

Why am I not feeling the love from the CSA right now?

It’s a pretty good season. I can understand where the league is coming from to make the schedule this way. Based on historical results the winners of the first season doesn’t all of a sudden give up in the fall season. There may be some problems, but overall, the best team will win.

If anything, the spring winner will have more license to play young players in the fall. Which is ok with me. 

1 minute ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

It’s a pretty good season. I can understand where the league is coming from to make the schedule this way. Based on historical results the winners of the first season doesn’t all of a sudden give up in the fall season. There may be some problems, but overall, the best team will win.

If anything, the spring winner will have more license to play young players in the fall. Which is ok with me. 

Yeah, not wading into whether or not this is a good idea, but I don't see the early champion just coasting for the 2nd half of the season. And I agree that it seems like the perfect chance to bed in some new guys and give them solid minutes.  

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I think the CSA wrench on CONCACAF League qualifications is the reason for the imbalance as CONCACAF League starts in July. Would have been easier to just have the team with the most points by Canada day and than top 2 meets in CPL Finals.

I'm thinking that the CSA arbitrary CL qualifications formula threw yet another wrench into the league's schedule. Add to that the uneven start point of CPL teams in the Canadian Championship.

I doubt that the league are idiots but some wrench being thrown their way made their life harder than it need to be...

Why am I not feeling the love from the CSA right now?

ottawa was likely a wrench assuming cpl pitched someone 28 games and couldn't get out once ottawa dipped but i don't think csa moves did that much to the schedule. csa likely had to work around cpl plans for canchamp. i think it's very possible cpl did this to themselves 

1 minute ago, matty said:

ottawa was likely a wrench assuming cpl pitched someone 28 games and couldn't get out once ottawa dipped but i don't think csa moves did that much to the schedule. csa likely had to work around cpl plans for canchamp. i think it's very possible cpl did this to themselves 

Scheduling is a nightmare of a task. Anyone having done that for just staffing would know that, let alone a league that must take into account uneven teams, logistics, availability of stadiums, a farce of a CONCACAF league qualification and entering the Canadian Championship at different rounds.

I don't think they are stupid enough to do the uneven split season on purpose. CONCACAF league (timing coincide) played a heavy hand it this and other factors made it harder.

Year 2 should be different with more teams and no mid season, CONCACAF arbitrary qualifiers.

Archived