CPL Season Schedule

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick question -- who hosts the Championship Final? if a different team wins each of the "two seasons" -- is it the winner of the second season as they have played more games to win their "half" of the year? is it cumulative point totals of those two teams for the whole year (it might give the winning team of the first half incentive to keep trying in the second half to ensure "home field" for the Championship?) I would assume if some team won both "seasons" they would host the team with the next  most cumulative points.....any date been set yet for the Final (October 26-27)? the CFL might have a minor influence on that I would imagine depending on who hosts the game (if it's WPG they have the Blue Bombers at home on Fri Oct 25th, the Tiger Cats are not at home that weekend (Oct26-27))

21 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Scheduling is a nightmare of a task. Anyone having done that for just staffing would know that, let alone a league that must take into account uneven teams, logistics, availability of stadiums, a farce of a CONCACAF league qualification and entering the Canadian Championship at different rounds.

I don't think they are stupid enough to do the uneven split season on purpose. CONCACAF league (timing coincide) played a heavy hand it this and other factors made it harder.

Year 2 should be different with more teams and no mid season, CONCACAF arbitrary qualifiers.

i think the league had an idea of what was happening with cl well prior but wanted or needed 28 games. no matter how you chalk it up the league's choice of 28 games is at the heart of the fuck up and that largely is on them.

am curious if they actually axe a/c next year. even with more teams added, that's not a great look.

1 minute ago, matty said:

i think the league had an idea of what was happening with cl well prior but wanted or needed 28 games. no matter how you chalk it up the league's choice of 28 games is at the heart of the fuck up and that largely is on them.

Not saying the league is perfect about that choice and that it's ideal but there needs to be recognition they weren't given an easy hand either.

Anyhow, expecting them to listen to the feedback, to learn from year 1 experience and amend it if needed (most likely will)

2 minutes ago, matty said:

am curious if they actually axe a/c next year. even with more teams added, that's not a great look.

I proposed a perfectly credible 28 team format. Full home/away × 2 (24 matches) and top 3 then play each other home/away. Top 3 play IDENTICAL schedule and most points wins. See my original post for 4-7 remaining 4 matches.

12 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Not saying the league is perfect about that choice and that it's ideal but there needs to be recognition they weren't given an easy hand either.

Anyhow, expecting them to listen to the feedback, to learn from year 1 experience and amend it if needed (most likely will)

without doubt. ottawa or team 8 seems to be at the heart of the 28 games. next year with more teams should be more even.

The league has been trapped into that corner.They can't send their spring champion to CONCACAF League if it's not one of the 3 designated by the CSA. You have no guarantee that FC Edmonton, Valour or Forge would win that uneven season or be 1st overall by July 1st in a single or evenly split season

A-Why even split or full season doesn't work

Imagine the embarrassment of having a equal split season where:

• York is first overall by July 1st
  • Forge gets to go to CONCACAF League because they did well against Valour and Edmonton despite being 4th overall.

You're rewarding your 4th overall while your 1st overall gets nothing at that point in an "even" split season or single season, which is quite frankly a massive embarrassment for the league...brought to you by the CSA. It's bad optics to reward the the 4th overall by July while rewarding the winner of the 1st half a month later if you're doing split season or not rewarding them at all in a single season.

B-So the league did the uneven split. Why?

Because even if you're trapped potentially rewarding one of the 3 teams that might not be 1st overall by July, you are rewarding whoever is 1st overall at that point by giving them access to the CPL Final game roughly at the same time, using Canada day as a way to make it the bigger deal. You can't do that in an single season, only in an "uneven split season"

It's putting lipstick on a pig instead of leaving it as is for everyone to see and mock. (Thanks CSA).They can then make a bigger deal out of the winner of the 1st season...aka...damage control during Canada Day 

The league is aware that this is bad, but they must act like it exciting...like they did with the previous 2 CSA decisions

So their plan looks like this:  

• Forge is the best out of the 3 founding clubs --> CONCACAF League
  • Pacific wins the 1st season --> Gets rewarded with a CPL Finals game (which the league can decide to make a much bigger deal during Canada day)

There's no way you're seeing this in Year 2.

I think the league did the best they thought they could do with what fell on their laps. I'm upset and angry at this...but it's directed at the CSA.

29 minutes ago, Ansem said:

The league has been trapped into that corner.They can't send their spring champion to CONCACAF League if it's not one of the 3 designated by the CSA. You have no guarantee that FC Edmonton, Valour or Forge would win that uneven season or be 1st overall by July 1st in a single or evenly split season

A-Why even split or full season doesn't work

Imagine the embarrassment of having a equal split season where:

• York is first overall by July 1st
  • Forge gets to go to CONCACAF League because they did well against Valour and Edmonton despite being 4th overall.

You're rewarding your 4th overall while your 1st overall gets nothing at that point in an "even" split season or single season, which is quite frankly a massive embarrassment for the league...brought to you by the CSA. It's bad optics to reward the the 4th overall by July while rewarding the winner of the 1st half a month later if you're doing split season or not rewarding them at all in a single season.

B-So the league did the uneven split. Why?

Because even if you're trapped potentially rewarding one of the 3 teams that might not be 1st overall by July, you are rewarding whoever is 1st overall at that point by giving them access to the CPL Final game roughly at the same time, using Canada day as a way to make it the bigger deal. You can't do that in an single season, only in an "uneven split season"

It's putting lipstick on a pig instead of leaving it as is for everyone to see and mock. (Thanks CSA).They can then make a bigger deal out of the winner of the 1st season...aka...damage control during Canada Day 

The league is aware that this is bad, but they must act like it exciting...like they did with the previous 2 CSA decisions

So their plan looks like this:  

• Forge is the best out of the 3 founding clubs --> CONCACAF League
  • Pacific wins the 1st season --> Gets rewarded with a CPL Finals game (which the league can decide to make a much bigger deal during Canada day)

There's no way you're seeing this in Year 2.

I think the league did the best they thought they could do with what fell on their laps. I'm upset and angry at this...but it's directed at the CSA.

we still don't know why it's limited to 3 but yea it's either csa or concacaf for that.

that said

the format here is mostly on cpl and we shouldn't try to find excuses for their wonky schedule. there are going to be things the league does that we won't like that they were in control of. let's stop acting like everything they do is the best it could possibly be and the issues are because of outside bodies.

I don't like the uneven schedule or the fact that only the original 3 get a shot at CL. I have to accept that this was all damage control due to commitments out of their control. They have done a great job so far getting this league off the ground and I'm sure this will all be corrected for season 2. 

25 minutes ago, matty said:

we still don't know why it's limited to 3 but yea it's either csa or concacaf for that.

that said

the format here is mostly on cpl and we shouldn't try to find excuses for their wonky schedule. there are going to be things the league does that we won't like that they were in control of. let's stop acting like everything they do is the best it could possibly be and the issues are because of outside bodies.

No Einstein.

I'm showing that they had few options and they we're all flawed and they picked the one they thought they could spin the best.

How about you grace us with your genius intellect and tell us what you would have done better and how the league made a massive mistake to have not hired you as a consultant 

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

No Einstein.

I'm showing that they had few options and they we're all flawed and they picked the one they thought they could spin the best.

How about you grace us with your genius intellect and tell us what you would have done better and how the league made a massive mistake to have not hired you as a consultant 

you legit put almost all of the blame on the csa for the cpl schedule which is making an excuse for the cpl. btw there's a better argument concacaf is to blame for entering cpl in 2019 than the csa.

but to answer your question

-the canada day games are not for sure championship games so in theory you could have moved the spring season end date to the later in july for some balance. canada day will always be a big ass day no matter what happens

-you have a single season (this is basically a single season because there the break is 5 days long)

-you put 2-4 more games in the spring season as it isn't overly crowded (cpl teams will likely always play 2-4 vcup games prior to july 1)

-you have fewer games. this is the biggest issue and this was 100% the cpl's call

Geezus titty 'effing cry-eest.

All the bleating on here isn't convincing anybody.  The schedule is the schedule so get on with the business of it OR find some other EXCUSES to explain away Valour's 2019 league and V's Cup Championships already would yah?

And thus... it begins!

2 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

All the bleating on here isn't convincing anybody.  The schedule is the schedule so get on with the business of it OR find some other EXCUSES to explain away Valour's 2019 league and V's Cup Championships already would yah?

And thus... it begins!

i messaged him cause i don't think this bullshit is worth flooding the page and agree it's done. let's be bummed and move on

27 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

And thus... it begins!

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and equally entitled to share it here. If you don't like it, well, cry me a fucking river. 

I think we can all agree and largely knew before the release, that the schedule was going to be less than perfect.

The league was facing numerous scheduling issues, and probably many we aren't aware of.  As long as it's rectified next season,.....and I have no doubt it will be,.....I have no concerns and all is forgiven.  

Too excited about kick-off to worry about these things.  Years from now, the crazy league schedule in year one, will be nothing but historical folklore.

The only thing that could make it better.........would be Valour crowned as champion.

This schedule is dumb.

I frankly don't care about uneven schedules. But the other decisions are mind-boggling.

The split season sucks. Having it unevenly split sucks even more. A team can go on a 6 game unbeaten streak to start the year, have a losing season overall, and make it to the final?

Stupid.

No use blaming CSA for this. If the reason the CPL created this clusterduck of a schedule and championship system is because of the Champions League, then someone in CPL management has terrible judgement.

Way to ruin what was suposed to be a great announcement. Now really starting to wonder what their "woke" jerseys will end up like.

2 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

I think we can all agree and largely knew before the release, that the schedule was going to be less than perfect.

The league was facing numerous scheduling issues, and probably many we aren't aware of.  As long as it's rectified next season,.....and I have no doubt it will be,.....I have no concerns and all is forgiven.  

Too excited about kick-off to worry about these things.  Years from now, the crazy league schedule in year one, will be nothing but historical folklore.

The only thing that could make it better.........would be Valour crowned as champion.

see you had me and then you had to ruin it with the valour shit...because while valour is gonna win both the spring and fall seasons they're gonna lose the finals to , the 4th place finisher in both spring and fall seasons, YORK9. final score? 8-1. they're not even gonna have a second leg cause of how bad the whipping is gonna be.

that's right 'peg you gettin trash talked badly

I will say, even though I don't like the format, I'm impressed with how positive TSN radio was about it. They may not be an official partner, 1150 Hamilton always promotes everything to do with the league. Jim Tatti was doing an interview talking about how the CPL wasn't afraid to do something different as the new kid on the block, and how it makes total sense for people to wane in their support of TFC.

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

Wait. I don't have time to read through everything, but you're saying the decision to arbitrarily give 3 clubs an outright advantage in 2 competitions, has also backed the league into a corner in regards to their scheduling; and as a result we're forced into playing an unbalanced schedule? That seems like a poor choice

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

I may have missed something surrounding the league, but do we know that the CSA was the one that made the decision on only the 3 teams being eligible this year?  I always assumed that it was the CPL's call and would then be schedule related.

And I guess on a related note - is there anything in the schedule that would indicate how the 3 teams will determine the spot (ie balanced head to head to head games) or is it just going to be "highest in standings" by the date required?

On 2/28/2019 at 12:26 AM, Watchmen said:

I may have missed something surrounding the league, but do we know that the CSA was the one that made the decision on only the 3 teams being eligible this year?  I always assumed that it was the CPL's call and would then be schedule related.

And I guess on a related note - is there anything in the schedule that would indicate how the 3 teams will determine the spot (ie balanced head to head to head games) or is it just going to be "highest in standings" by the date required?

1. No, we do not know whether the CSA was involved in deciding how the CL place is to be allocated. Based on the announced rationale, I for one highly doubt it.

2. The first home/away league matches between the three teams concerned are the (only) ones used to determine who goes. So, a mini-table of 4 matches each.

Edit: Apparently we do know that it was the CSA. See below.

3 hours ago, Tigers said:

I will say, even though I don't like the format, I'm impressed with how positive TSN radio was about it. They may not be an official partner, 1150 Hamilton always promotes everything to do with the league. Jim Tatti was doing an interview talking about how the CPL wasn't afraid to do something different as the new kid on the block, and how it makes total sense for people to wane in their support of TFC.

They need ongoing access to the Ticats to stay relevant, so are not going to do anything that rocks the boat where the Forge are concerned. As for the schedule, I don't see any harm in providing a bit of feedback. Your true friend tells you what you need to hear not what you want to hear, so things never get to this sort of stage:

On 2/22/2019 at 9:05 PM, Kent said:

Pick your battles man. Pick your battles.

Every once in a while, common sense prevails. Not often, but every once in a while. Bomber dyslexia finally cured!

WebsiteHeader.jpg

Archived