CPL Season Schedule

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I may have missed something surrounding the league, but do we know that the CSA was the one that made the decision on only the 3 teams being eligible this year?  I always assumed that it was the CPL's call and would then be schedule related.

See post above. It was a CSA decision.

23 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Kurt Larson also confirmed that it wasn’t a league decision. It also sounded as if the league was unhappy about it, although he didn’t say it outright. Likely they were unhappy, and Larson/the CPL is trying to be professional about it

I think they wanted to send the winner of the spring season (due to how close the final Valour-Forge-FCE game is to the end of the season). It's reasonable to be bummed.

http://www.totalsoccerproject.com/2019/02/cavalry-fc-wheeldon-canadian-premier-league-schedule-format/

since we're talking wheldon

“In terms of the format, it’s something that’s tried and tested in parts of the world, if you look at the Apertura and Clausura (in Mexico’s Liga MX),” he said. “It’s something that creates excitement amongst the fans. I think this is an opportunity to create a season-long event. As we launch a brand new league in Canada it’s important that, when we don’t have a division two yet with no promotion and relegation, there has to be excitement all the way up without having to use the format of playoffs. I think what this does is it rewards the two best teams.

“The more I’ve listened to the powers that be at the league, giving the whys behind it, the more I’m buying into it. I think it’s going to be the same for the fans once they understand the reason around it. There are some merits to it, especially as we launch an exciting event.

funny that they're downplaying the fact they have playoffs. but yea i think a/c is here to stay for at least several years.

1 hour ago, matty said:

I think they wanted to send the winner of the spring season (due to how close the final Valour-Forge-FCE game is to the end of the season). It's reasonable to be bummed.

The spring season probably ended too late for that.

2 minutes ago, matty said:

Yea that's what I'm guessing given how tight the two endings are I think the CPL thought it was fine and CSA disagreed.

If that was the case (and I suspect it was), then the CSA was acting at the behest of CONCACAF.

CPL likely couldn't come up with a satisfactory solution quick enough for CONCACAF so the CSA just said "fuck it, this is how it's gonna be this year."

3 minutes ago, RS said:

If that was the case (and I suspect it was), then the CSA was acting at the behest of CONCACAF.

CPL likely couldn't come up with a satisfactory solution quick enough for CONCACAF so the CSA just said "fuck it, this is how it's gonna be this year."

I think CPL pitched it, CSA (likely knowing what CONCACAF wanted) said July 1 is too late to end the season and send a team to CL and CPL opted to keep that date so they could make the first Canada Day games a bigger deal rather than adjust it.

I haven't read anywhere about the final host, so i'll pitch an idea. Whoever wins the Fall season should host a one game final. This would still give the spring champions something to play for and reward the winner of the "longer" season. 

3 hours ago, johnyb said:

I haven't read anywhere about the final host, so i'll pitch an idea. Whoever wins the Fall season should host a one game final. This would still give the spring champions something to play for and reward the winner of the "longer" season. 

Just a thought, what if if the two, the club with the highest overall points total across both seasons gets the honour?

On 2/27/2019 at 3:06 PM, Ansem said:

I think the CSA wrench on CONCACAF League qualifications is the reason for the imbalance as CONCACAF League starts in July. Would have been easier to just have the team with the most points by Canada day and than top 2 meets in CPL Finals.

I'm thinking that the CSA arbitrary CL qualifications formula threw yet another wrench into the league's schedule. Add to that the uneven start point of CPL teams in the Canadian Championship.

I doubt that the league are idiots but some wrench being thrown their way made their life harder than it need to be...

Why am I not feeling the love from the CSA right now?

https://canpl.ca/article/faq-a-primer-on-the-cpls-format-and-season-rules

In the instance of a tie in the final table standings for either Spring or Fall, the following tiebreaker procedures will be implemented to determine a winner:

i. Total number of wins

ii. Goal differential

iii. Goals for

iv. Away goals differential

v. Away goals for

vi. Home goals differential

vii. Home goals for

viii. Coin toss (tie of two clubs) or drawing of lots (tie of three or more clubs)

Should the same team win both the Spring and the Fall portions of the season, the winner of the Spring half will take on the team with the highest cumulative points total across both halves.

If the league are not idiots then perhaps you could explain to me how, if "iii. Goals for" and "v. Away goals for" are the same, "vii. Home goals for" can be different? I mean, HG = G - AG, right? And this is obvious to any 6th grader, right?

Ditto for "vi. Home goals differential".

Sigh.

On 2/27/2019 at 9:15 PM, Winnipeg Fury said:

I think we can all agree and largely knew before the release, that the schedule was going to be less than perfect.

The league was facing numerous scheduling issues, and probably many we aren't aware of.  As long as it's rectified next season,.....and I have no doubt it will be,.....I have no concerns and all is forgiven.  

Too excited about kick-off to worry about these things.  Years from now, the crazy league schedule in year one, will be nothing but historical folklore.

The only thing that could make it better.........would be Valour crowned as champion.

Well let us hope that the team that ends with most points overall also gets into the Championship game. Because if they do not, you can be sure that the haterz in the media will notice and gleefully point it out. The CPL would be a laughing stock. It would never recover.

Worst of all, BBTB and Robert would be proven correct.

This kind of crap makes me sad because I believe that league credibility in the eyes of the Canadian public is paramount, and that without it this risky venture will fail.

5 hours ago, johnyb said:

When NASL did the a/c seasons they gave the winner of the Spring season the hosting honors. The reason for this was that the Spring Champion had plenty of time to market, sell, book the Stadium, and set up for the single championship game instead of what may have been as little as a week or two in certain circumstances.

Your idea has a good positive though in giving extra incentive for a Spring Champion to win the fall as well.

hmmm noticed the CPL schedule/table isn't incorporated into the Google Search Knowledge Graph yet even though the schedule is out. Hopefully it will be eventually as I find it's the fastest and simplest way to find the matches for any particular sports team.

16 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

When NASL did the a/c seasons they gave the winner of the Spring season the hosting honors. The reason for this was that the Spring Champion had plenty of time to market, sell, book the Stadium, and set up for the single championship game instead of what may have been as little as a week or two in certain circumstances.

More than reasonable.  Of course it all sort of falls down if the winner of that very short Spring Season shits the bed in the 2nd half of the calendar.

If MLS can play in Denver on March 2nd, I think CanPL could have been a bit more aggressive than very late April and early May on its start date. Clips like this would help silence the soccer players are wimps types:

which having grown up in one of Scotland's former coal fields where stuff like this is nothing out of the ordinary I always found difficult to take seriously:

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If MLS can play in Denver on March 2nd, I think CanPL could have been a bit more aggressive than very late April and early May on its start date. Clips like this would help silence the soccer players are wimps types:

yeah....I had the complete opposite reaction. That MLS starts it's season to early and CPL got it right. Though the MLS has a greater variation in climates to deal with than CPL will...

At most I'd go is a couple of weeks earlier (mid-april). Otherwise you are risking bad weather.

The type of stadiums obviously impact this as well. With some of these very open pop-up stadiums fans are much more exposed to the elements.

While I agree that the CPL could start a couple of weeks earlier (in certain cities) why schedule a game in Denver so early when there are much warmer places to start?

28 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

yeah....I had the complete opposite reaction. That MLS starts it's season to early and CPL got it right. Though the MLS has a greater variation in climates to deal with than CPL will...

At most I'd go is a couple of weeks earlier (mid-april). Otherwise you are risking bad weather.

The type of stadiums obviously impact this as well. With some of these very open pop-up stadiums fans are much more exposed to the elements.

On 2/27/2019 at 1:04 PM, mpg_29 said:

Here is where a a bit of a challenge arises that doesn't exist in MLS.....Canada has even more time zones.

Well, not technically true. Both countries have 6 time zones, and with Newfoundland's only being a half an hour offset from it's neighboring time zone we have a smaller time zone span than the USA. Alaska and Hawaii do exist, and they have different time zones form the rest of the USA. They just get ignored. But with Halifax in the league we have more time zones that have teams in them than USA does.

8 minutes ago, Kent said:

Well, not technically true. Both countries have 6 time zones, and with Newfoundland's only being a half an hour offset from it's neighboring time zone we have a smaller time zone span than the USA. Alaska and Hawaii do exist, and they have different time zones form the rest of the USA. They just get ignored. But with Halifax in the league we have more time zones that have teams in them than USA does.

Right, "CPL has even more time zones" would have been the way to say it. I don't think Alaska or Hawaii are ever getting a team.

Maybe it's because I just got back from a week in Cuba and no internet, but I'm relatively zen about this split season schedule situation. I don't want a split schedule, and agree with a lot of the issues people have with it, but I'm mostly just happy to have a schedule.

To speak to the conversation that was had about CSA/CPL deciding on the chosen 3 for CL representation. I had previously thought there was a good chance that CPL decided on the 3 because with the amount of bye weekends that are necessary for a 7 team league they were going to have to rely on a lot of weekday games (that part seems to be true) that they might need to schedule games on CONCACAF League days. However, it looks like practically all midweek games are part of a 3 game night, so it's not like they have cleared the schedule for the chosen 3. I thought it might have been too much for them to clear the schedule for all 7 teams. So yeah, since that doesn't seem to be the case, I'm back to thinking either CONCACAF decided it because the teams have to be established by a certain point, or the CSA decided it just because (they did already show them preference in the Voyageurs Cup, so this is a potential option).

As for snow games in March, I'm not against it. If we have players coming through our league and on to the national team, it might be nice for them to be accustomed to the idea of playing a nations league final or World Cup qualifier in Winnipeg in March against Costa Rica. Why we can't have an environmental home field advantage like every other nation in CONCACAF has over us?

Archived