CPL Season Schedule

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, dsqpr said:

With 8 teams, everybody would have played everybody else twice at home and twice away. It would have been a normal league doubled. That would have been perfect -- with 8 teams.

I was told yesterday that PFC will be playing Halifax 5 times this season. I assume that means 2x home & away plus one extra - no idea if that will be home or away.

2 minutes ago, ted said:

I was told yesterday that PFC will be playing Halifax 5 times this season. I assume that means 2x home & away plus one extra - no idea if that will be home or away.

Ugh. Bracing for a schedule I'm not going to like. Will be interesting to see if it is consistent with all prior announcements.

59 minutes ago, nfitz said:

But hang on - I haven't been following close enough ... I thought someone high-up had said this would be something that's new for North America ... and the split season certainly isn't! Do we know that it's a split season?

I wouldn't treat that phrase as gospel - I imagine it's intended as "the average sports fan would see this as something new in North America" (ie. people who wouldn't know what the modern NASL was).

8 minutes ago, michaeltfc91 said:

Has the schedule or competition format been released yet? I thought it was supposed to be yesterday?

Been pushed back to April 26th.

22 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I wouldn't treat that phrase as gospel - I imagine it's intended as "the average sports fan would see this as something new in North America" (ie. people who wouldn't know what the modern NASL was).

Perhaps ... though given that FC Edmonton (not to mention Ottawa and even Montreal briefly) played in the modern NASL, that seems surprising. And that ignore that the top league in North America also uses this ...

If true, perhaps it says more about how little the person commenting knows about soccer ...

12 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Perhaps ... though given that FC Edmonton (not to mention Ottawa and even Montreal briefly) played in the modern NASL, that seems surprising. And that ignore that the top league in North America also uses this ...

If true, perhaps it says more about how little the person commenting knows about soccer ...

At the risk of starting another argument about geography, various definitions of "North America" (rightly or wrongly) have a southern border anywhere from a Panama Canal to the Rio Grande.  It wouldn't be impossible that Clachanan was referring only to the US + Canada as "North America" in that context.

Regardless of whether his definition is correct or not, I wouldn't take the existence of something in Mexico or a lower-level US league as irrefutable evidence against his comments.

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

But hang on - I haven't been following close enough ... I thought someone high-up had said this would be something that's new for North America ... and the split season certainly isn't! Do we know that it's a split season?

No, we don't. That speculation is based on a tweet of a rumour. And that format would be in direct conflict with previous CPL announcements: namely "no playoffs" and "new to North America".

The CPL will look like a bunch of amateur clowns if they use it now.

52 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Been pushed back to April 26th.

Sorry @michaeltfc91, I was just being sarcastic about the ongoing delay. It was promised "by February". We are still waiting and have no idea when it will show up. Presumably soon.

28 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Sorry @michaeltfc91, I was just being sarcastic about the ongoing delay. It was promised "by February". We are still waiting and have no idea when it will show up. Presumably soon.

Lol don't worry I knew your were joking, hopefully it is before that date. I could have sworn I saw an announcement or someone said something that it would be yesterday. This is getting ridiculous!! I want to mark dates in my calendar, don't they know we have to plan our summer's accordingly?

I'm in the camp that believes the CONCACAF League thing was a late decision, and that the delay for the schedule is because they have to work around that. They perhaps shifted games around for their ridiculous format for choosing who represents CPL in CONCACAF League, plus they potentially have to reschedule other games that those 3 teams play on or around CONCACAF League game dates.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not football, but this system has an interesting twist in Cup competitions in European basketball. You play the first half of the season, and that half-season table determines seeds for the Cup. 

Then you have a final 8 long weekend a week or two after the teams are decided, quarters, semis and final. I thought of this because the Spanish basketball cup, which is a crazy intense competition, more than playoffs or Euroleague, is this weekend. 

I know it is different, but it does have the positive effect of benefiting your team for another trophy. But then you are right, you play a second half of the season only thinking about playoffs. 

It just occured to me that in Spanish women's football, the Cup is also decided on mid-season league table, the top 8 qualify and then you play it. For CPL, the only thing that would impede Voyageur Cup seedings to be decided by this is that we'd get to mid-season a bit too late, like late July. 

Just to make sure I understand, in this system you are describing, at the end of the season you have one "regular season" champ and a playoff champ right? Not 2 half season champs? From what you said about teams only thinking about the playoffs in the second half, it sounds like the playoff championship is the bigger deal?

It's interesting. I've never heard of a format like that. Thanks for the info!

Just now, Kent said:

I'm in the camp that believes the CONCACAF League thing was a late decision, and that the delay for the schedule is because they have to work around that. They perhaps shifted games around for their ridiculous format for choosing who represents CPL in CONCACAF League, plus they potentially have to reschedule other games that those 3 teams play on or around CONCACAF League game dates.

Honestly, if that is the case then the tail is wagging the dog. If they had the schedule completed when the CL news broke then they should have just released the schedule anyway and then started to think about how to choose the CL rep. It's not rocket science CPL.

3 hours ago, dsqpr said:

It makes sense for everybody to play the same number of league matches, not least for revenue. And in football, pride matters.

yes but these games are however essentially friendlies in the current system. this all said, you're pitch is likely better than the shit we'll get ;)

53 minutes ago, matty said:

yes but these games are however essentially friendlies in the current system. this all said, you're pitch is likely better than the shit we'll get ;)

One day we will have to debate that one over a pint or three!

Just to give you a hint at my position: when a team in the English League, for example, is safely mid table and clearly not going up or down, are all their matches then effectively friendlies? Food for thought. I can tell you that although managers are less concerned about losing and do tend to try out players, people still care. Perhaps we need to develop a little of that mindset here in order for CPL to survive.

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

One day we will have to debate that one over a pint or three!

Just to give you a hint at my position: when a team in the English League, for example, is safely mid table and clearly not going up or down, are all their matches then effectively friendlies? Food for thought. I can tell you that although managers are less concerned about losing and do tend to try out players, people still care. Perhaps we need to develop a little of that mindset here in order for CPL to survive.

Re: England, I wouldn't say so because their games still have impact on who they play, they can spoil a European or Championship run or bury someone.

I do agree on your last point that there are other things on managers minds but for fan's mostly I don't see it. But a pint would be fun

11 hours ago, Kent said:

Just to make sure I understand, in this system you are describing, at the end of the season you have one "regular season" champ and a playoff champ right? Not 2 half season champs? From what you said about teams only thinking about the playoffs in the second half, it sounds like the playoff championship is the bigger deal?

It's interesting. I've never heard of a format like that. Thanks for the info!

Not two champs, but the half-season does decide the Cup seeds. It has slight flaws, as you may have drawn the tough teams away in the first half, and that could affect your standing. But it is relatively minor.

As I say, it would be ideal, only that the season starts too late, as we go about adding teams, we will have to advance the early rounds of our Cup even more, perhaps early May instead of mid. 

Otherwise, a single table sound fine by me, no playoffs. What motivates players with no chance of a win or a playoff spot: hopefully teams set up financial bonus systems for results. 

I would just like the CPL to be able to designate the league winner each year as the next year's Concacaf League rep, flat out, no ifs or buts. And that team should also get a bye of a round in the Voyageurs Cup, just to reduce schedule a bit. But not this ridiculous bye into semis for TFC: poor guys, they were so exhausted last year we have to save them the hassle of too many games, fine. But jjust four games and you can win a spot in next years Champions? Screw that, totally ridiculous.

I know it has been posted elsewhere, but the schedule is going to be released next week. Something I hadn't seen outside of the linked articles below is that there will be a separate announcement about home openers before the full schedule is released.

“The full schedule is going to drop next week,” Clanachan confirmed. “There’s some other news that’s going to drop, relatively shortly, (about) home openers."

https://canpl.ca/article/cpl-schedule-to-be-released-next-week

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canadian-premier-league-schedule-drop-next-week/

6 minutes ago, Kent said:

I know it has been posted elsewhere, but the schedule is going to be released next week. Something I hadn't seen outside of the linked articles below is that there will be a separate announcement about home openers before the full schedule is released.

“The full schedule is going to drop next week,” Clanachan confirmed. “There’s some other news that’s going to drop, relatively shortly, (about) home openers."

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canadian-premier-league-schedule-drop-next-week/

If they have a clue, then no midweek home openers!

13 hours ago, Kent said:

So let's make perdictions (which is the correct spelling of that word on this board, traditionally). 

First weekend:

Forge-York9

Pacific-HFX

Whichever Alberta team looks readier to host-The other

We know Valour starts away midweek to Pacific. Then I am guessing HFX will play midweek vs, the Alberta team that already had their opener. 

Second weekend (now really going out on a limb but I say HFX rests): 

Valour-

York-

The away Alberta team-

Archived